Prologue (His Bitter Past) – 13. I Agree
1.3k 2 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1. Prologue (His Past) - 13. I Agree

A week had passed. The Peace Alliance Meeting was over, all guests had returned and the Golden Light Castle's situation which was busy with guests for the last few days had returned to normal.

King Gervis sat behind his desk in his study room with a grim expression, his finger pressed against his temple. He just finished today's court. The nobles and ministers asked him to bring Angel to the court for their approval. Which meant Angel just one step away to become the next King of Asteria. Although his identity was still full of pros and cons. But all this time Angel had done his duty well and always kept himself a low profile, so the nobles' trust in him was increasing.
'I have to do something before it's too late.'

The knocking sounds accompanied by the sound of the door being opened came. Ilex entered the room and bowed.
"Father, did you call me?"

King Gervis turned his gaze to Ilex.
"Yes, I want to discuss this morning's court."

Ilex fell silent as he recalled this morning's court. He could remember how the nobles urged his father to bring Angel for their final approval as the crown prince. Although his father had reasoned that Angel was sick, they instead asked for his whereabouts and wanted to visit him.
'If we don't take care of that illegitimate child right away. Sooner or later the kingdom of Asteria's throne will fall into his hands. ' Although most of the nobles still rejected Angel, his supporters were also increasing, Ilex and King Gervis did not know what the outcome would be. But whatever it was they didn't want to take the risk.
"I'll take care of him," said Ilex. He had to get rid of Angel as soon as possible.

King Gervis sighed tiredly.
"I know you're angry but we can't act rashly now."

"Father, this is the best time to finish him. He is seriously injured and cannot fight well. We can take him to a remote area and kill him," said Ilex. Even though he hated to admit it, Ilex knew Angel was beyond him.

King Gervis paused after hearing Ilex's suggestion.
'Ilex's right. Now is the best time to kill him, but if a prince disappears without any cause everyone will question it. ' He glanced at his desk and accidentally saw the southern border Asteria's map. An evil smile spread on his face when an idea crossed his head. He took the map and looked at it.
"Ilex, I will prepare my trusted elite troops and send you on a mission."

Ilex frowned in confusion. How could his father give him a mission at important times like this?
"Mission?" he asked in confusion.

King Gervis turned his gaze to Ilex. The grim expression on his face was gone.
"Yes. I am assigning you to execute a dangerous rebel on the southern border of Asteria."

"Why I never heard any news about that?" asked Ilex.

"The rebel name is Angelus Raizel Reinheart, the second prince of Asteria," replied King Gervis.

Ilex paused for a moment before an evil smile also developed on his face after he understood what his father meant.
"I understand."

King Gervis took the King's Sword from his desk and gave it to Ilex.
"Take this."

Ilex took the sword carefully from King Gervis' hand and looked at it in amazement. This was the first time he was holding the King's Sword.
"This ..."

"To defeat a swordsman, you must break his sword. Loyalty (Angel's sword) cannot be broken without King's Sword," added King Gervis.

Ilex returned his gaze to King Gervis.
"I won't disappoint you, father."

-----

Angel lay weakly on his bed. He lost a lot of blood and his wounds made him unable to move. Even after a week, he still couldn't move around much. The doctor said it took a month for him to recover, during that time he had to rest and shouldn't move around too much.

With his severe condition, King Gervis decided to free him for a while and let Ilex take over his duties. During his recovery, King Gervis also forbade anyone to see him except the doctor to make sure he could rest well.

Suddenly, the knocking sounds accompanied by the door opening sound could be heard. King Gervis entered his room and approached him.
"Angel, how is your condition?" said King Gervis.

He struggled, trying to get up from his bed.
"Uncle, what brings you here?" he said in a weak voice.

King Gervis raised his hand and waved it downward, ordering him to remain to lie down.
"Are you feeling better?" he asked.

"I'm feeling better. Thank you for your attention," answered Angel.

King Gervis observed his condition a moment before he started to speak again.
"I don't know how to say it. I know you haven't recovered yet but I have no other choice... Right now, our South border area is in trouble, Ilex insists to take care of this problem. But as you know the Southern border is the most dangerous territory in Asteria, aside from difficult terrain, monsters and bandits still roaming there, we also don't have a diplomatic relationship with the Kingdom of Euphorion, if something happens and he needs to run away to their territory it will be difficult to ask for their help. I hope you can accompany him on this expedition. "

He fell silent, after what happened last week he didn't feel like meeting with Ilex, at least until his wound healed. Moreover, with his current condition, he wouldn't be able to carry out this mission properly.
"It's not that I don't want to. But with my current condition, I won't even be able to save myself. I will become a burden."

"I know, but you are the only person that is familiar with the South area. Besides, right now a big rebellion is still occurring in the Kingdom of Zephyrus. I have to assign the other military leaders to protect our Western border and prevent the rebellion from spreading to our territory. "

"Uncle ... you know how bad my relationship with Ilex. I don't think this is a good idea," he tried to refuse King Gervis' request politely.

But, King Gervis insisted.
"I know Ilex has gone too far, but I hope you can forgive him. I already explained to him, you only act as a guide. Besides, I have also assigned a platoon of elite troops to join you."

He fell silent again, tried to find another reason to refuse his uncle's request, but he couldn't. Besides what his uncle said was true, Ilex rarely went to South Asteria since there was almost nothing there.

"I hope you can take care of this problem with Ilex," added King Gervis.

He gave a surrender sigh.
"Alright ... I agree," he answered doubtfully. King Gervis only ordered him as a guide, it shouldn't be a problem.

"Good. Now rest early, you will leave tomorrow morning," King Gervis gave a few taps on his shoulder before leaving.

Note : Sword description is in Glossary

28