Prologue (His Bitter Past) – 19. His Death
1.4k 3 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1. Prologue (His Past) - 19. His Death

It had been two months since Rose left Asteria, the rebellion had just ended. After negotiation efforts were unsuccessful, forcing them to take the decisive step. Although this time rebellion was big and almost made the capital fall into their hands, with the military leaders, nobles, Rose and King Eudon's corporation, the rebellion was finally ended.

Rose sighed heavily as she dropped herself to the parlour room chair in the Scarlet Stone Castle, Zephyrus. A tired breath out of her mouth.
"What a tiring month ..." she said to a warm faced woman who sat in front of her. Lady Ivetta Rosemond Crowheart, a Zephyrus noble who was closest to her. She had long black hair with bangs and purple eyes. Ivetta was one year older than her and they had known each other since childhood.

"Now Zephyrus has returned to peace, what is your next plan?" said Ivetta. Then she sipped a cup of tea in her hand.

Her mind began to drift away as she remembered what had happened two months ago. After a while, a smile began to appear on her face as her cheeks turned red.
"I'm thinking of visiting Asteria again."

"Asteria ?!" Ivetta said in surprise, almost spilling her tea from her mouth. She noticed Rose's flushed cheeks and she chuckled.
"So the news between you and Prince Ilex of Asteria is true? Even the king has to force you to go home."

She turned her gaze to Ivetta.
"Where did you hear that news from?" she asked curiously.

"I heard it from the king's aide, he said you disappeared after dancing with Prince Ilex, spent the night with him and just returned the next day," Ivetta said with a teasing smile.

She giggled.
"That news is only half right. That day I did dance with Prince Ilex, but I didn't spend the night with him. I spent it with his cousin, Prince Angelus," she said. Her cheeks were getting reddened.

After Ivetta heard Rose's words, her smile faded and her expression turned worried.
"Don't tell me you're in love with him," her worriedness seeping into her tone.

She noticed the change in Ivetta's expression.
"Is something wrong? I think underneath his cold expression, he has a kind heart," Then she leaned her face closer to Ivetta.
"You don't know how cute his expression was when I opened his shirt," she whispered. It felt strange seeing a man with a cold face like him nervous just because of that.

Ivetta gasped in shock as her eyes widened. She distanced herself, her eyes still locked on Rose. Then she looked around to check if the servants heard their conversation before she leaned herself closer again.
"Did I hear correctly? Rose, you are a princess and the only heir of Zephyrus, how could you have done something inappropriate before the time?" She whispered.

Rose gave her a teasing smile.
"It's not what you think, I wouldn't do anything inappropriate. That night he was injured because of me, I opened his shirt just to treat him. Isn't that a doctor's duty?" she replied with a low voice.

Ivetta breathed a sigh of relief as she distanced herself and leaned to the back of her chair.
"Thank Goodness ..." She was silent for a moment as she kept staring at Rose. From the look on her face, she looked hesitant to convey something.
"Can I have a private conversation with you?" she continued.

Rose looked bewildered for a while as Ivetta never asked her for a private conversation before. After a moment, she waved her hand to the servants around her. They bowed to her and left the room.

After the servants left, Ivetta started to speak again.
"Rose, you better forget him ... Prince Angelus ... He died a month ago."

A frown appeared on her forehead as she looked at Ivetta in disbelief and gave her an awkward smile.
"You're kidding, right? If he's dead, we'll get his funeral invitation."

Ivetta sighed, her expression remained unchanged proving she was serious.
"You have been busy helping your uncle suppress the rebellion, I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it ... Prince Angelus was accused of rebelling and finally suicided."

Ivetta's words struck her like thunder, she looked shocked, her eyes glistened by holding back her tears.
"Impossible ... He's not that kind of person. He wouldn't rebel ..." Even though she only spent a few hours with him, from Angel's attitude who obeyed the rules and even refused her help because he was too obedient to royal family etiquette,it was completely unreasonable for someone like him to rebel and from his courage, she knew he wasn't a coward that could run away from his problems. She stood from her seat.
"I'm going to Asteria now! I have to know the truth!" she said as she was about to leave.

Ivetta caught her hand to stop her.
"Listen to me! Right now there are too many bad rumours about Prince Angelus and Zephyrus just recovering from the rebellion. If Asteria accuses us of collaborating with him, it will only destroy the diplomatic relations of the two kingdoms!" warned Ivetta.

She turned at Ivetta as she knew what Ivetta said was right.
"What exactly happened? How could he be accused of rebelling?"

Ivetta went silent for a moment, her eyes trembled in confusion to explain it.
"Actually ... Everything sounds strange and too coincidental. After Prince Angelus won Asteria's hunting competition, they said he was suddenly ill and no one was allowed to see him. One week later he was accused of rebelling." Ivetta went silent again, but Rose kept looking at her as she waited on Ivetta to continue to speak.
"After that ... They said Prince Angelus ran away from Golden Light Castle after he failed to assassinate King of Asteria. The King of Asteria sent a platoon of elite troops led by his cousin, Prince Ilex to capture him. But he resisted and killed almost all members of elite troops, so Prince Ilex had no choice but to injure his hands to make him surrender. Unexpectedly, Prince Angelus committed suicide because he refused to face the royal court," she continued.

Rose frowned as she narrowed her eyes, and couldn't believe what she just heard.
"He committed suicide because he refused to face a royal court?" she said in a disbelief tone.

"Yes ... But before he died, Prince Ilex managed to get him to confess all his crimes by signing a confession letter." Ivetta sighed.
"Unfortunately there is no other strong evidence that Prince Angelus committed a rebellion other than that letter since they also did not bring his body home. But Prince Ilex brought back his bloody badge so his death was confirmed," replied Ivetta. The only thing that made a prince or king return his badges was when he died or was exiled. But since King Gervis and Ilex accused him of rebelling and injuring the king there was only the death sentence waiting for him.

"He signed the confession letter?" asked Rose incredulously, hoping she hadn't heard Ivetta correctly.

Ivetta looked down for a moment as her eyes trembled once more then she took a deep breath before turning her gaze back to Rose.
"Actually ... it is barely called a signature ... Since there's only his finger blood stamp in that letter."

Rose fell silent in shock, suddenly her chest felt tight, her heart completely broken. A blood stamp sign was only used for someone who was unable to write or for a sick person who didn't have any strength to hold a pen.
'It could be that they forced him to sign it or worse ... they just took it after he died.'

"According to rumours, Prince Angelus' victory in the hunting competition attracted other kingdom officials' attention as they thought he was more suitable than Prince Ilex. So since this has something to do with his identity as a Reinheart. King of Asteria asked him to prove it by drawing the King's Sword, but he instead attacked the king. That's why everyone accused him that he faked his identity from the start," continued Ivetta.

Rose fell on her chair, her strength was gone, her eyes were swollen and tears started flowing down her cheeks as she couldn't hold it anymore.

Ivetta looked at her sadly as she held Rose's hand.
"I know you must be shocked by all of this. But at least your relationship isn't too far, I hope you can forget him soon."

Rose turned her gaze to Ivetta slowly, her eyes filled with guilt.
"I'm the one who asked him to win the competition. I promised him I would meet him and tell him my name if he won. But I couldn't fulfil it ... Now you told me, it all started because it ... "she said in despair. Guilt dominated her heart.

Ivetta hugged her to calm her down.
"It's all just rumours, no one knows the truth. It could be that he did rebel or there another reason behind his death."

Rose placed her arms on Ivetta's back in response.
"I don't know what to do ..." Somehow her heart refused to believe all the rumours and accusations.

Ivetta stroked her hair gently.
"Forget him ... You shouldn't think about a dead person."

Suddenly, knocking sounds came accompanied by a faint voice from outside.
"Your Highness, the king is calling you to the study room."

She released Ivetta's arms and wiped her tears.
"I'll be there soon." She had to keep this a secret, especially from her uncle. After a couple of deep breaths, she turned her gaze back to Ivetta and raised from her seat.
"I'll take my leave," she said as she returned to her usual expression.

Ivetta simply nodded.

-----

Rose walked out of the parlour room, down the red corridor to the study room. She wiped her eyes once again to make sure there were no tears left on it before she gave a few knocks on the door. A voice came from inside the room.
"Come in."

As soon as she entered the room that was dominated by red wallpaper and gold ornaments. While the floor was made of light brown marble just like the rest of that castle. King Eudon was already sitting behind his desk while reading a letter. His face looked so happy and satisfied.

Rose approached him and bowed.
"Uncle, did you call me?"

King Eudon turned his gaze to her and gave her a big smile.
"Rose, congratulations on your success."

She frowned in confusion.
"Congratulations? For what?"

He gave the letter to her.
"Prince Ilex will visit you in a few days."

"He wants to visit me?" she said as she took the letter from King Eudon's hand and read it.

"Yes, he is impressed with you. Congratulations, Rose. I am really proud of you," he said happily.

She folded the letter and turned her gaze to King Eudon.
"Well ... What a coincidence, I also want to go to Asteria to see him. I want to ask him a few things," she said as she endured her anger.

30