First Arc (King of Euphorion) – 54. Shouldn’t You Protect Them as Their King?!
965 0 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

First Arc (King of Euphorion) – 54. Shouldn’t You Protect Them as Their King?!

Cley opened the door loudly. Angel and Chancellor Allan quickly turned their heads at it. 

"Your Majesty, you're lying, right? You're kidding right?" said Cley in frustration. His feet walked toward Angel with unsteady steps and his eyes held back his tears.

While Claire ran toward Angel with tears in her eyes.

"Uncle Bernard? How is Uncle Bernard?" she said worriedly.

"Close the door," ordered Chancellor Allan to the guards outside the room. The guards quickly closed the door. Although the new year's party at the main hall was almost over there were still many nobles who hadn't returned to their home yet, this news must not be spread before there was a clear clarity.

Angel looked away in regret.

"Forgive me..."

After hearing his words, Claire's tears flowed down on her cheeks. Suddenly she could feel her surroundings spinning, her body lost its power and her vision darkened.

Reflexively, Angel stood up and stretched out his hand, his dark aura enveloping Claire and preventing her from crashing on the floor. While Cley immediately ran to capture her.

Cley looked at Claire on his arms for a moment before glancing at Angel angrily.

"Your Majesty... You're kidding right?! You're joking, right?! Euphorion is fine, how could Pearl Gate City be destroyed overnight?!"

Chancellor Allan understood their anger, but he knew Angel was angrier than they were. He finally snapped at Cley.

"Cley, watch your manners!"

But Cley ignored Chancellor Allan's words and kept looking at Angel as if he hoped it was all a joke, but he knew Angel had never joked for things like this.

"No ... You must be lying ... You're still mad at me because of last week's incident... Right?" he said sadly, his face filled with tears.

Angel just silent and remained still as a statue. His expression remained unchanged.

Feeling frustrated Cley couldn't help but raise his voice.

"Right ?!" he repeated once again.

"Cley!" snapped Chancellor Allan.

Cley still ignored Chancellor Allan's words and kept shouting at him.

"Your Majesty! Tell me if you are joking! You can punish me for anything! But please tell me if you are joking!" Cley screamed pleading, his voice was getting louder.

Angel looked at them, he knew that sooner or later he would have to tell them, but he also didn't expect they would find out so soon.

"Pearl Gate City has been destroyed. There are no survivors," he clarified.

Cley shook his head in frustration.

"No... Who did it?"

"I'm still investigating it," he answered.

Cley closed his eyes as he recalled the last time he had met Major Bernard. The tears flowing down his face were getting more and more. Pearl Gate City was his home, where he grew up, the only memorable place of his parents and Major Bernard was his only family since Cley already regarded Major Bernard as his own grandfather. His anger controlled Cley, currently, there was only one thing in his mind, revenge...

Cley opened his eyes and laid down Claire slowly. After that, he stood up, ran to take the sword that displayed on the wall and ran towards the exit. Angel stretched out his hand again, his dark aura formed a barrier at the door to prevent Cley from leaving the room.

As soon as Cley was about to leave, he hit an invisible wall. He turned his gaze to Angel with anger.

"Why did you stop me ?!"

"Cley Fadington! Do you think your actions are useful? If you go there, what can you do but mourn over their dead bodies?!" snapped Angel.

"Then shouldn't you protect them as their King?! Aren't they your people?!" Cley blurted out in anger.

Angel fell silent after hearing Cley's words, even though he knew Cley was saying it out of anger, Cley's words pierced his heart.

"Cley!" Chancellor Allan snapped once more as he felt Cley's words had gone too far. He knew Angel was angry but he tried to suppress his wrath since the war could not be decided haphazardly. Because this was related to the fate of the kingdom, the fate of his people, the fate of the soldiers who would be brought to the battlefield. Finally, Chancellor Allan decided to bring both of them back to their room.

"Your Majesty, I will ask someone to take Cley and Claire back to their rooms."

Chancellor Allan had just turned around, but suddenly Angel spoke again.

"You are right. I should have protected them ... But I let my guard down, I didn't realize this attack and it cost their lives..." he said, even though he looked calm, sadness was absorbed in each of his words.

He clenched his fists and turned his gaze to Cley, who was still standing in front of the door, staring angrily at him.

"But I will not let their deaths be in vain. I will not allow others to trample Euphorion's sovereignty. I will show that they should not play with me," he added, his eyes full of determination.

Cley looked at Angel deeply and realized his calmness was like an unwavering mountain on the surface, but inside it was like hot lava that was ready to be fired any time. Finally, Cley dropped his sword as he bent his head, tears pouring out of his eyes.

"Cley, take your sister and go back to your room. Let me take care of it," he said again.

Cley only bowed in reply when his voice could not come out of his mouth. His chest was tight as he held his anger and sadness. Then he brought Claire back to the room assisted by a guard.

23