Second Arc (His Art of War) – 97. Angelus’ Dilemma I
795 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Second Arc (His Art of War) - 97. Angelus' Dilemma I

Meanwhile, Angel and Frost followed by his guards walked down the corridor. As they arrived in front of his room, he waved his hand, asking Frost to come into his room while the others stayed outside. 

The door behind them closed and Angel walked over to the sofa. 

“What do you think?” He said as he sat down and gestured to Frost to do the same in front of him.

"I think King Eudon's suggestion is too suspicious," said Frost as he gave a slight bow and sat down.

"Because he offered a crazier agreement than my suggestion?" he asked.

"Yes. I think he has other plans. " During their discussion, Frost paid attention to King Esteve and King Eudon's gestures. From his observations, even though King Eudon looked calm, Frost realized some anxieties and worries bothered him.

Angel smirked. 

"Then our thoughts are the same." Even though Angel knew that King Eudon did that because he had no other choice but to seek an alliance, what he had to offer was too high. 

"What do you think he's up to?" Angel guessed this had something to do with Rose because King Eudon was willing to pay a high price for her. But he was not sure of his guess, King Eudon could have done it because Rose was his only family.

Frost paused for a moment to think. 

"Looks like this has something to do with Princess Rose." Frost also thought the same as Angel but he couldn't guess what King Eudon was up to.

"I also think that way. But it seems like there is something I don't know about them..." Angel's mind returned to the meeting and wondered why King Eudon seemed to be desperate to give Rose to him, but then took her back. Even though a princess was usually only treated as a political tool, this was too strange. If King Eudon was so worried about Zephyrus' condition to the point of sacrificing her, then King Eudon would give Rose to him permanently. Since with their marriage, the Heart Family's position would be permanently strong. If King Eudon could dare to give Rose to Artheur, why didn't he do it now?

“I guess this has something to do with Princess Rose's ability, Your Majesty,” said Frost suddenly. Yesterday, while Angel spent most of his time in the castle checking documents about the rebellion and nobles, Frost sought a lot of information from various people. And he heard some interesting information, but he hadn't told Angel because that information was still questionable.

"Say it."

"I heard some rumours that Princess Rose has prepared herself to replace King Eudon if something happens to him one day. That's why she behaves like a prince," said Frost.

"Replaces King Eudon ..." he muttered. It made sense since there was no reason for a princess to come to the battlefield like a prince. But a second later, he realized something. If Rose wanted to replace King Eudon then Rose should also know how to make the secret poison. This was the main reason why King Eudon offered his poison and medicinal abilities to free Rose. 

"Looks like Princess Rose knows all the Heart family's secrets, including how to make their deadly poison." Usually, a princess was only taught half of what a royal family was capable of. The reason was, she would get married one day and her family name would change. In that time, she would devote herself to her husband and it would be bad if her husband's family took advantage of her ability. That's why a princess who mastered her family's abilities and could fight like her was extremely rare.

Frost was silent for a moment, trying to track back all the events and King Eudon's words. 

"That makes sense. I think that's the only reason why he's making this agreement." Then Frost's thoughts returned to Angel's request as well as last night's incident. 

"Your Majesty, are you planning to get Princess Rose because of this?"

"No ..." he replied. He had to admit, his personal feelings were mixed in this political agreement. There was a sense of joy. Because he had the opportunity to express his feelings, but also bitter because he knew it wouldn't be that easy. It was a forced marriage and Rose still loved Artheur, also he had to face the Euphorion nobles' rejection. Even though he guessed that their refusal would be insignificant considering Rose's status as a concubine, he still had to give them a reasonable excuse without telling them his plan.

Frost realized the bewilderment in Angel's eyes and guessed Angel had feelings for Rose. That's why his emotions were unstable during yesterday's battle and that's also the reason why Angel forgave Rose last night. 

"Your Majesty, are you ..."

Angel raised his hand, asking Frost to stop his words. 

"Yes. She is the woman who has always been on my mind for years and the main reason why I do not want to get married," he admitted. Actually, he had tried to forget her, but somehow her image kept coming back. And when this war took his attention and concentration, she came back to his life and gave him new hope by correcting their misunderstanding five years ago.

"Your Majesty, this won't be easy ..." said Frost. Even though he knew Angel could convince Euphorion's nobles by saying this marriage's benefits later, he could already see that Angel and Rose's relationship had been complicated from the start.

"I know. But I want to take my chances, if she doesn't want it I will let her go." Making her a political prisoner was different from imposing his feelings on her.

"But, I think the marriage itself will bring benefits for Euphorion and Zephyrus."

"Politically, yes. But as you can see, Princess Rose is not a simple woman. Forcing this relationship will only destroy both of us." He didn't know what Rose would do if he forced her. She could destroy what he had built so far.

"But you can use your Devil Puppet on her in case of emergency," said Frost again.

"I don't want a puppet as my wife." He had experienced what it was like to be a war puppet over the years, doing things against his will based on an order. At least he didn't want Rose to experience the same thing. 

"If she stays with me, I want her to do it on her own, not because of my orders."

Frost was quite surprised by his words. This was the first time Angel had said so much about his feelings since he usually did everything based on his rationality.

Seeing Frost's reaction, Angel asked. 

"Am I too selfish?"

"No, Your Majesty," replied Frost as he lowered his head. 

"It just ... I am quite surprised by your confession."

"I'm also surprised by myself ..."

18