Second Arc (His Art of War) – 140. The Elite Soldier and The Princess II
1k 8 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Second Arc (His Art of War) - 140. The Elite Soldier and The Princess II

The morning sun was getting higher, the sky was getting brighter slowly. Bright sunlight shone through the tall trees on the path to Fortaare Town. Rose and Angel rode their horses slowly through the forest where they had fought yesterday. Their battle's remains were still visible. The incomplete pieces of corpses since some of them were eaten by the monsters last night and weapons were scattered everywhere. Likewise with the remaining rebel's traps and the smell of blood still wafted around them. Some of the monsters were seen busy eating the free food they got on the sides of the path.

'Luckily, I didn't eat breakfast earlier,' thought Rose as she covered her nose and averted her gaze from the bunch of monsters not far from her. Her stomach churned at the sight and her face was pale. Maybe if she had breakfast earlier, she would have vomited now.

While Angel turned to her and noticed her pale face.
"Are you all right, Your Highness?" he asked. It had been an hour since they left Echrin Village after washing their faces and drinking water, since Rose used to live in the castle, Angel was afraid she wasn't used to travelling on an empty stomach like this.

"I'm fine," said Rose. She looked away, trying to calm herself and the disgusting feeling in her stomach. She wanted to spur her horse and get through all of this as soon as possible. But the path was too messy with the battle's remnants everywhere, as well as the traps, so she had to ride her horse carefully.

Angel swung the reins in his hand, moving the horse to Rose's side.
"Would you like to stop to eat something first, Your Highness?" he asked. It was still early in the morning, so he still had plenty of time before returning to Scarlet Stone Castle.

Rose shook her head.
"I'm fine, Rai. I just ---" Rose's words stopped as nausea pierced her stomach. After she calmed herself down she spoke again.
"I just need to get out of here as soon as possible."

Seeing her expression, Angel quickly caught her condition.
"Very well," he replied. Secretly, he sighed and turned his gaze forward.
'I should have brought her with my teleport skill.' Again, when he made his decisions based on his ego and feelings, he only got a bad result.

Even though his face was covered with a mask, Rose caught Angel's disappointment from the tone of his voice. Since she guessed he was worried about her, Rose decided to comfort him. She took her hand off her nose and looked at him with a smile.
"Rai, thank you," she said out of blue.

Angel turned to her in confusion.
"For what?"

"For your help as well as your understanding because you did not bring me back last night." She tilted her head upward, her eyes staring at the leaves in the trees they passed.
"I know I have to go to Euphorion since your King wanted to make sure that the Pearl Gate City incident won't happen again. But it was so hard for me to leave Zephyrus ... And I don't know when I can come back. At least I want to do my best for my people before I leave ... "she said with a wistful smile. Then she turned her gaze to him.
"I also thank you for listening to me last night. I really appreciate it."

Angel was speechless. Although, rationally, his decision tormented Rose because she had to go through and see the terrible scenery along this path. On the other hand, his decision could give Rose the bit of freedom she wanted. Something that he would hardly give in the future since everything he and Rose did would be based on their kingdom's rules and political interests.
"You are welcome," he said. A slight smile on his lips. There was a feeling of joy in his heart.

As they got closer to Fortaare Town, the scenery around them was getting better with the shady trees since there were no more corpses from their last night's battle. Which was later replaced by a town gate. As they drew closer to the town, the guards quickly opened the gates and greeted them with a bow. And once they arrived in front of the Inn, Flare and some of Euphorion's troops were already there, waiting for them. Two elite Euphorion troops dressed as hunters with a villager were also with her. As Rose and Angel got down from their horses, the villager approached them.
"Forgive me for my selfishness, Your Highness," he said as he bowed in regret.

Rose looked shocked since she recognised that man as the servant who should die yesterday.
"Thank God, you're still alive. I thought you were dead," she said.

That villager lifted his head and looked at Rose gratefully.
"Yes, I survived because ----" He glanced at Angel who put his index finger on his lips, asking him to shut his mouth.
"--- because of you, Your Highness," he continued. His heart was beating fast in tension since he remembered Flare's words last night.
'He's alone enough to destroy a city'. Even though he didn't know Angel's identity and didn't see Angel's dark aura clearly last night, he knew Angel was no ordinary soldier.

"I forgot to tell you. Your wife gave you a son last night. Congratulations!" said Rose excitedly. She always felt happy whenever she delivered this kind of news.

That villager's face brightened. A smile bloomed on his face. His eyes filled with emotion.
"Really?"

"Yes. You have to come back soon! Your wife is waiting for you," said Rose in the same tone.

Meanwhile, since they talked about the baby and he  saw the happiness on the villager's face, it made Angel think of Chancellor Allan who asked him to immediately have children.
'I wonder if I would also make that face if my child was born.' The villager's joyful voice interrupted his thoughts.

"Thank you for everything, Your Highness. Please take care of yourself," said the villager as he gave another bow.

"You are welcome. Please be careful of monsters in your journey," warned Rose.

After that, the villager raised his head and gave Angel and Flare slight nods as a farewell, before getting on the horse with two other elite soldiers.

"Your breakfast is ready, Your Highness," said Flare. Even though it wasn't time for breakfast yet, she had ordered the inn servants to prepare it for Rose since dawn since she knew Rose could come back at any time.

"Thank you," said Rose. She didn't deny, after that trip and last night's battle she was really hungry now. After her feet stepped into the Inn, she stopped and turned to Angel and Flare.
"Why don't you come in?" she asked.

"I must report my mission to General Flare, Your Highness," replied Angel.

"Fine. I hope you can accompany me for breakfast after that," said Rose. Angel had accompanied her and fought together with her from last night. He should have felt the same hunger and fatigue as her.

Angel only replied with a slight nod and a smile.

After seeing his reply, Rose walked towards the Lobby followed by several Euphorion troops.

"How is it?" Angel asked Flare without further ado.

"We've managed to destroy their entire hideout and kill the rest of the guards. Also ..." Flare took out several folded documents from inside her blazer and gave them to Angel.
"We found this."

Angel took it, examined it briefly to make sure it were the documents he wanted, before placing it in his blazer.
"Thank you. I'll leave the rest to you," said Angel.

Flare replied by lowering her head.
"Yes, sir."

Then after that, Angel walked to the nearest alley and returned to Scarlet Stone Castle with his teleport skill.

Dun forget to check out my Patreon~

Thank you for supporting me and this novel.

Patreon-members:

IndecisiveKing, nomeacaso88, Bad Company, Eduardo, Nemorus, Bas van Schoubroeck, Eric Staind,Alvin Leung,William Rodriguez, Christopher Bidwell, Rui salvaterra, Leon Zhu, D. T. Macemore, Austin Applegate, Agideon, Gregory, Smudi Corp, EESDESESESRDT, LoneWolf, Zuyao Wu, Jonathan Lamontagne, Alberto Escalera,Didrik Sagafos, Redfuio, Puggan Se, Daniel Cortez, Robert Pospisil, Yuffievalor, Jaycob Strunk, Grundy00,Riley, Milestone, Od-Man, Andrew Desmond,Rikashi Shiarimoto,Skyler Ting,Thevasenan Thevanesan, unknown, CopeyDunt, Hybris, Stephen White, Trevor Martinez, Logan, shawn plumley, colin love, Draxisaur4, Ethan chen,Tobias Alkblad,JTOKING,Fluffypoochi, Ethan Johnson, Russ Ah,merc8,Cameron Taylor,Joseph Bentley,Sentinel, nolan nickelberry, Russell Davidson,HamDaniel,Brandon Bradley,regenschabe, Casey E Maupin,Pedro Sousa, Bodybags87,Torrinth,Drabone, Lorenzo Ledezma, Deathgodly, Red Phoenix, Ascal, Schneedrache, Yeuromain, Anthony Gauthier, Glenn Grogan, Gregory Lamberta, Alzein, Akhil, Eddy Yeung, Anita Torres, TheBroilern, Warwulfv,Jay Owens, DemonRight27, James Cullen, Drunk Drag, dfektz, Dr.SF, Baráth Bálint, Jesus Hernandez, stalin see, Mynamejeff, Jordan thompson, vokal dwayne, Kevin Tran, bloodbane 21, Triooo, Thomas Anderson, Stormrall, Ignacio Azpíroz del Cuvillo, Jake Briese, Gabriel, BloodDragon, heller8284, Spycam, Locke039, Cragen, Dylan, Armod, Jetdy S, Dylan Hatch, Joe G, Zacary Thomas Dailey, Jonathan Bromilow, ghost750x, Tamashii, Horst Reicht, Chris, Dave Arkad Caraqui-an, rusty lewis, Sleay, Jacob Weidner, Mark-A, Ray Brown, Cinnoé Smith, Maian, _Sup, Jay96, Thomas Anderson, Bärtsi, Grangel, Green3000, Shae D, Kyle, Ser, Freddie, Meanderaway, Acedia, Tanuki, Haarderade, Belduim, Nien78, Darth Melkor, Jonathan Flook, MacZeuss, The Tallest Joshua, Royce321,LORD SHAXX, Ynaxir, WiseRagnar, Hollowlce, Dallas, TheMightOfTheMaster,, Cody Givan, Fullmoon, saganatsu and I like books.

Thank you for reading!

Don't forget to click ❤️

My Patreon-page

My ko-fi page

My Discord


28