Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 14. Royal Couple I
792 6 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 14. Royal Couple I

The sound of horses' hooves accompanied by cheers from the crowd followed their carriage which moved slowly towards the castle. As before, some cavalries were also in front and behind their carriage. The happiness adorned the crowd's faces, especially since the ceremony had gone smoothly. None of the civilians knew about the bloody ceremony that had just taken place since Angel and the Euphorion troops covered this incident neatly. The only evidence they had was a faint bloodstain on the bottom of Rose's dress. While Flare was taking care of the rest, including evacuating the rebels' bodies and bringing the wounded soldiers for treatment.

Although that royal couple were legally husband and wife now, they sat in silence.

"Your Majesty, may I ask you something?" said Rose out of blue. Her voice broke the silence between them.

He glanced at her as he kept his cold expression.
"What is it?"

"Can I get my whip back?" said Rose in hesitation.
"Or maybe you can give me some knives so I can protect myself?" she added since she wasn't sure Angel had brought her weapon from Zephyrus. There was a frustration inside her since she could only watch the battle without being able to help. It was not like her. Moreover, Ivetta had yet to show herself.

"I can't." Angel gave her a short answer.

"Why?" she said with a frown.

This time he turned to her and gave her a gentle gaze, hoping that she would understand. Even though based on Rose's character when they saved Ecrin Village, he knew Rose was not a woman who liked to hide behind other people.
"If something happens to the people around you. Whether it's your knights, the maids or even me. You are the first person they accuse." And if they couldn't catch or get any evidence regarding the intruders, according to law, he would have to conduct a detailed investigation and Rose would have to live separately from him to ensure his safety. That would give the intruders more opportunity to kill Rose. Especially considering the fact that she was a political prisoner. Besides, all the noble women's eyes would be on Rose after this marriage since they didn't like her. Bad rumours would spread and give Rose a bad reputation. It was the biggest weakness that Ilex and Ivetta could use to attack them and divided Euphorion apart. So Angel had to minimize all suspicious actions that could make this marriage fall apart.

Rose was speechless. Indeed she understood Angel's reason, even though he didn't say it clearly. Still, seeing herself only as a political exchange object bothered her greatly. She felt so useless and it was so unbearable.
"So what can I do to help you?"

"If you can act as a wife who loves her husband, it will be a great help for this plan," he said. Even though this was a fact, he hated telling her this because it would be tantamount to asking her to pretend to love him. While what he wanted was her true love, not a fake.

"I mean other than that," said Rose. Of course Rose already knew this. They had to act like a happy couple to lure the rebels out faster.

"If you can do it with all your heart, it will be even better," he decided to make his confession.

Rose frowned in confusion.
"Of course I will do it with all my heart. You've helped my kingdom this far, there's no way I will waste it."

Realizing that Rose misunderstood his words, Angel took a deep breath.
"What I mean is I want to make this marriage a real one," he said straight to the point.

"W-What..." Rose said in a stammering voice. Her eyes fell on Angel, looking at him in disbelief at the confession she had heard.

"I want your attention, your treatment and your affection is a genuine one not only a fake," he clarified.

Their eyes locked with each other. The cheers from the crowd still rang around them yet it felt like it was just the two of them there. Rose couldn't hide her shock from the expression on her face and her mind went blank with just those two sentences. Her heart suddenly pounded, yet she didn't know what to say. Meanwhile, even though Angel was still able to maintain his composure as if he was saying it without any burden or nervousness. His heart also beat fast just like Rose's.

"D-Don't play with me," Rose said spontaneously as soon as she got her voice out. Her mind was in confusion and so was her heart. She couldn't believe what she just heard.

"Do I look like I'm playing with you?" he asked in a firm tone.

Rose looked at his serious expression and knew Angel wasn't playing with his words. Still, Rose could only be stunned since this was too sudden for her.

"I won't force you and I don't want you to force yourself either. I know it's too sudden for us. Moreover, after we separated five years ago, we met again as enemies. We don't know each other well either. We'll take it slow." He mentioned this since he remembered her doubt and what she said in Ecrin Village. He knew, if he pushed his luck, it would only destroy their relationship before they could get started.

Still, Rose didn't answer and could only stiffen. But from her expression, he could tell she wasn't mad at him, it was just too sudden for her. Moreover, she hadn't recovered from Duke Bartlet's words yet. He turned his gaze forward.
"About the plan... There's nothing you can do right now. Neither do I. All we can do is wait," he decided to mention the plan since he didn't want this awkwardness to last too long.

"Is that so..." said Rose as she managed to get her voice out. Then she also turned her gaze forward. Her eyes glanced to the other side, trying to guess what the people around her were thinking after seeing their previous intimate gesture, at least for a royal standard.

25