Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 36. The First Night IV
585 4 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 36. The First Night IV

Both of them got into the blanket, lay down and closed their eyes without a single word, trying to sleep. Instead, their thoughts kept them awake and constantly warn them of a stranger lying by their side, for whatever reason. Their hearts were still pounding, not allowing their tired bodies to rest. It felt weird after the affection they showed in public, even though all of it were just a play, yet at the end of the day, they lay like two strangers sharing a bed. Even after they confessed their feelings. But wasn't that what they want?

Didn't she just want this marriage as a political agreement from the start? Wasn't she afraid he would touch her? But as the seconds passed and the blanket warmed her body, her heart wished for something else, but she didn't know what it was.

Did she expect him to touch her? No. Her clothes were too thin, if he started to touch her, his intention was clear.

Did she wish, he said sweet words to her? No. He was a king. Why did a king need to say sweet words to seduce his own wife? Wouldn't an order be simpler and quicker to deliver what he wanted?

As for Angel, his mind was also immersed in his thoughts and what he was thinking in the past. Before the war occurred and Chancellor Allan asked him to get married soon, he had thought of marrying just because of his obligations to make a successor. He did not think to fall in love because he knew, love would only disturb his mind and affect his decision. But in the end, he couldn't run away from it. There was strange happiness in his heart with his irrational feeling. Also worries that this foreign thing would take his rationale and make him could not concentrate on his obligations. Yet he didn't want to lose it since his heart was longing for it for a long time.

Their thoughts kept running around in their heads and a lot of questions were stuck in their throats. With their position, they just had to open their voices and say what they want to say. And the people on their side would hear it. Strangely they felt they were far from each other. It was so difficult for them to say a word in that awkward atmosphere or... it was their feelings that hold them back?

Minutes passed. Silence and the relaxing fragrance scent of the aromatherapy mixed in the room. The dim moonlight peeked through the gaps of the curtain, yet neither of them could sleep, even though their eyes were tightly shut.

Feeling this would not be over unless he said what was on his mind, Angel opened his eyes and glanced at Rose. At least he wanted to say that he didn't mean to be rude to her earlier and say she looked beautiful in that nightdress or simply to say that he was happy with their marriage even though it was a political one. Unfortunately what he saw was only her back, so he closed his eyes again and decided to swallow his words.

At the same time, Rose couldn't sleep either. She deliberately faced another direction to distract herself and trick her mind that there was no one by her side. But her heart said otherwise. Different from Angel, she wanted to ask about his past, his dark power and his intent but was too afraid that Angel would use that as an excuse to get closer to her. But at the same time, she also wanted to spend the night like a couple. Not as far as intercourse but heart to heart talk, since that was something luxurious for them. But again, her hesitation kept all the words from leaving her mouth.

As the minutes passed, just like Angel, her thoughts were torturing her and keeping her awake so she decided to say it.
"Angel, may I ask you a question?" Finally, she forced herself to let out her voice without turning her body to face him, though she didn't know if Angel had fallen asleep or not. But she hoped he did.

Hearing her voice, he opened his eyes and tilted his head to her.
"Say it." He didn't expect that Rose hadn't sleep yet.

Although he answered with a calm tone, it was enough to make her heart beat faster and her eyes open. Even though she was the one who asked, she was doing it only as an excuse so that she could go to sleep and not expect a reply. She didn't think he was still awake. After taking a couple of breaths to calm herself, she finally opened her voice.
"Can you tell me what happened five years ago?" she asked.

"Turn around and we'll talk," Angel said in the same calm tone. Rose was still facing the other way and it was definitely not a polite gesture from someone asking for an explanation from another.

His request made her a bit panic. But she knew she had to do it to get an explanation from him.

20