Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 57. The Wine and The Couple III
557 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 57. The Wine and The Couple III

The sour, sweet and earthy taste of wine filled their mouths, yet their gazes remained on each other. So was their attention. It was a simple conversation, a painful one. Yet they felt happy since they found someone who had the same feelings as them. People who were able to give their loyalty to someone they love.

But one that filled their minds, if they gave their loyalty to the person in front of them... Would they experience the same thing again one day? Would these feelings destroy what they have and what they were protecting right now?

As the wine in their glasses was almost finished, they lowered it. Their hands put their glasses by their side. Rose to her left and Angel to his right. While they stood side by side. Their gazes were fixed on the city, enjoying the quiet scenery and the night breeze that brushed their faces.

"I just hope. Someday ... I can find someone where I can give my heart and my loyalty," said Rose. It was an honest statement from her heart. She didn't point at him, though she couldn't deny she wished so.

Angel also hoped the same thing. Indeed he already had several confidants, like the twins and the four elemental spirits. He was aware of their presence treating the wounds in his heart, restoring his belief to this world. Five years ago, he had saved Euphorion, freed the people from the late King Xenos' dictatorship but actually... The people of Euphorion also saved him. They accepted him as their king despite his dark powers. Something that was feared by everyone, even his family. That was why he cherished them so much.

But he didn't deny, Rose had another place in his heart. Someone who could make him hesitate in the middle of the battlefield. Someone who was capable of hurting him just because she cared more about other men than him. Someone who was able to make him duelled someone just to prove his legitimacy over her.

That thought reminded him of what he saw through his Evil Eye spell when Artheur kissed her. Even though he was sure that Rose didn't love Artheur, why did she kiss him? Was it payback? Or was it the same kiss that was given to him 5 years ago?
"Can I ask you a few things?" he decided to find out the truth.

"Sure."

Angel took a deep breath, preparing himself for her answers. Including if she gave an answer that could split his heart in two.
"When you treated Artheur, why did you kiss him? Was that the Heart family's healing method?"

His words made her turn to him in confusion.
"When? I never kissed him."

"At the Scarlet Stone Castle. When you treated him after he duelled me."

Her frown on her forehead.
"I didn't kiss him. The Heart Family also doesn't have such a method. I think you saw it wrongly." But then, Rose remembered that Angel was not there when she treated Artheur.
"Wait a second. You weren't there. Did General Flare tell you?" She made a wild guess.

"Flare won't report anything that has nothing to do with her job or duty," he said.

"Were you spying on me?" She made another wild guess. She didn't know whether she had to be angry or happy about this. Since she knew that the question was a sign of his jealousy. It made another question in her mind. Was his main reason for taking her away from Zephyrus was because he loved her? Not because of the poison, political interests or the agreement.

Yet Angel remained calm. He knew the consequences of this question. After all, didn't Rose already think his eyes were everywhere?
"I didn't mean it. My spell was working all over the castle, looking for the rest of the rebels and I saw it by accident."

"Then may I ask, if you really saw me kiss him or not?" she asked.

Angel was silent. Think again, his spell broke after he lost his concentration and he didn't see her kissing Artheur clearly. It was her gesture that caused him to take that assumption. Not to mention, at that time, his mind was in chaos.

"What I did was fix his bandages. There were a lot of people there. King Esteve, Queen Thea and the servants. Do you think they would let me do it?" She returned her gaze to the front, staring at the city once more. A faint smile on her lips since Angel's jealousy tickled her heart.
"Besides, I'm not interested in kissing a man in such a helpless state." After that, she took her wine and sipped it.

What Rose said made sense. There were too many witnesses in that place. It should create rumours if she did kiss Artheur. But there wasn't any of it. Still, something tickled him.
"That last sentence. Are you sure about that?" he asked. He didn't say much more than this since he was sure Rose knew what he meant.

She turned to him and smiled confidently.
"Yes, I'm su--" Her words trailed off and her smile disappeared as soon as she caught his gaze since she only realized she had done that to him five years ago. Even though he didn't faint, his injuries were quite severe. Not to mention the poison. If he was an ordinary person, he wouldn't be able to move that night. Still, his condition wasn't much different than Arteur's.

Immediately, she turned her head the other way to cover her embarrassment.
"You are a different case. Besides, I didn't find any other way out that night."

> Read more than 10 chapter ahead of DM + 2 weekly update

My Patreon-page

My ko-fi page

My Discord

18