Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 78. The Noblewomen and The King V
406 6 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 78. The Noblewomen and The King V

Angel took a deep breath since he had no other choice but to explain everything even if it would hurt her heart.
"The rebel's mastermind had sent a lot of assassins that night. Their aim was either to kill me or to ruin my wedding party. I know your mind was in a mess that night. You were their easy target so I ordered the twins to ensure your safety," he said straight to the point.

'Oof...' thought Cley as he kept his straight face. He was sure it would definitely break Lady Belle's heart to pieces. But that was the truth and Angel had to say it to set things straight.

His words silenced her. She lowered her head out of shame and disappointment. Yet her heart could not accept it and her mind tried to find a loophole in his statement.
"I-It's weird... If the castle' condition was that bad, why didn't my father tell me anything." Indirectly, she said that she doubted Angel's statement. Even if she said this because she couldn't accept the truth, that statement made sense to her since her father was one of Angel's confidants. At least he should receive a warning from Angel.

"Only Chancellor Allan, the twins, Flare, Rose and the Black Devil army know about it. My goal is to capture their leader. So the less one knows, the better. But I already told your father two days ago. He also knew the assassins were trying to kill you in the garden. Didn't he tell you yet?" Angel replied.

She lowered her head and shook it from side to side. Her father indeed asked her to be careful after he met Angel two days ago and gave another knight to her yesterday. But he said nothing about this incident.
"He just asked me to be more careful," she said in a much lower voice.

"I see. He probably doesn't want to worry you. After all, it's over," he ended the conversation.

"You're right..." Her voice sounded like a mumble. It was a bitter pill for her but she couldn't take it. Her logic kept telling her to let go, yet she couldn't...

He stood up from his seat.
"I think we've straighten things out, so I will excuse myself," he decided to end this short conversation and call a servant to escort her back to the carriage or maybe Claire to calm her down. But, certainly not him for sure. His presence would only make her heart waver.

Then he walked to the exit followed by Cley.

"Your Majesty..." Her trembling voice made him stop in his tracks and turn to her.

"I love you..." She couldn't hold her feelings anymore so she decided to say it. It didn't matter if he accepted it or not.

'Ah... She said it...' thought Cley. Somehow it made Cley want to get out of there, but he couldn't. So he had to endure all the love drama. Well, the good news was this would be an interesting topic to discuss with Claire.

"You already know my answer," said Angel.

Lady Belle stood up from her seat and ran to him.
"Your Majesty, I really love you. Can't you give me a chance to prove my sincerity?" she pleaded with a trembling voice.

"You don't have to. I know you're sincere to me and I'm grateful for that. But I can't reciprocate your feelings." Even though it wasn't a cold reply, his words made it sound that way.

"But that woman may just want to take advantage of you," she warned.
"Why her? Why of all people, you chose her?" There was something that made her unable to accept all of this. Rose was the enemy kingdom's princess, a political prisoner, a stranger. Yet she got Angel's heart just like that. As for Lady Belle, she had been waiting for him for years. Been in love with him since he was a hunter. But he didn't reciprocate her feelings.

"It's the same with you. Of all people, why are you choosing me?" he returned the question. He did use his logic and rationality to make decisions but that didn't mean he didn't have feelings.

His question made her speechless.

"About her using me or not. I've explained everything earlier. My main reason to marry her is politics. The feeling is just a bonus for me," he continued.

"Then, you marry me for political reasons too, right?" Finally, she let out her voice. It just came out of her mouth. Her mind was in a mess.

Indeed he had to maintain his relationship with Duke Nicolin but those words were tantamount to a threat that they would turn their back if he didn't marry her.
"That's a dangerous statement, Lady Belle. Your family could lose my trust," he warned, even though he knew she was saying it without thinking. With Angel's victory and his military power under his authority, nothing could shake Angel's position. Including Duke Nicolin. Moreover, with Duke Nicolin's trauma to the late King Xenos, he also had no interest in rebelling against Angel and brought Euphorion into the same dark time.

Lady Belle pressed her lips. She just said it out of her messy thought and didn't mean anything.
"Forgive me, Your Majesty," she said regretfully.

"You should try to find other happiness," he suggested.
"I'll excuse myself." Then he left.

As Lady Belle stared at his back away, tears dripped from her eyes.

>Read more than 10 chapter ahead of DM + 2 weekly update on Patreon

My Patreon-page

My ko-fi page

My Discord

15