Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 84. The King’s Cold Nature IV
400 9 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 84. The King's Cold Nature IV

It left her speechless since she knew what he meant was Ilex. Thinking back, indeed what she did was crazy back then. How could she have the courage to refuse a crown prince like Ilex just because of her feelings for a dead traitor? Moreover, at that time, her family required political support.

"That's different," she reasoned. She didn't know why she did that. Still, she didn't regret it. Especially after she found out about Ilex's scheme. If she did marry him back then, perhaps, Ilex had already used her family ability to slaughter more Euphorion's people.

"That rejection was more dangerous than mine," he said. But Angel could understand that. His smirk was replaced by a gentle smile.
"But I'm glad you did," he continued.

His hand went up to touch her face, pressing his palm against her cheek. 'That way I can have you.' He wanted to say it, but he couldn't. Those words sounded too selfish. After all, he didn't know how their love story would end.

"If... If I accepted Prince Ilex's proposal, would you kill me?" she asked. Her eyes looked at Angel in seriousness. Somehow it suddenly crossed her head.

Her simple question struck his heart. He lowered his hand and clenched it as he turned his gaze in another direction.
"Maybe..." he said quietly. He couldn't imagine how heartbroken he would be if he found out that Rose was Ilex's wife. It was more painful than finding her with Artheur.

"I thought you were the one who framed me 5 years ago so King Gervis and Ilex had a valid reason to execute me," he admitted bluntly.

It made Rose frown.
"What made you think of it? I even ran away from the hall because of him."

"Because of the poison. They used the same poison as yours to kill my soldiers on the northern border." He returned his gaze to her.
"So I thought you were the mastermind behind it all. And you left me that night because you wanted to mess around with me."

His last sentence made her stunned. She knew Angel had searched for her for hours only to see her again. But she didn't know the meeting had messed him up so badly.
"That bad?" she asked, though the answer was obvious.

"It was the first time I couldn't think straight. I acted like an idiot who lost his mind... You broke my heart just like that," he confessed. It was the first time he confessed his weakness to someone else.

Pain and emotions overwhelmed their feelings as they looked into each other's eyes. It felt like they wanted to go back in time to fix things before things turned into doubts like this.

She bent her head in regret.
"I didn't mean it... I never meant it..." said Rose in a gloomy tone. She never thought that a short meeting would lead them to such a misunderstanding.

"I know. But it's over. I hope this marriage can break through everything that happened in the past."

"I hope the same," she replied.

"Is that a yes?" he asked. It made her raise her head and look at him.
"Does that mean you're going to assume this is a real one?" he confirmed. He knew this was too soon but his desire to have her grew stronger as time went on.

"I wish I could say that easily," she said apologetically.

"You still doubt me..." he whispered without taking his eyes off her.

"I am," she answered firmly. Yet her bitterness was evident in her tone.
"I hope we can concentrate on Prince Ilex and Ivetta first. Love can wait." She decided to end this conversation.

Without saying anything else, she turned the other way and was about to leave, but he caught her wrist. It made her return her gaze to him.
"But I can't." There was a strong urge to say that.

Rose looked down at her hand. From his grip, she knew how serious he was. Still, despite her feelings, her fear remained.
"You have to."

"Why? I've waited for so long just to find out your identity and reunite with you," he said.

"And I've waited for so long just to meet you on the battlefield," she retorted sadly. There was a pain that pierced her heart every time she remembered that reunion. It was the most beautiful thing but also the worst nightmare of her life.

>Read 10 chapter ahead of DM + 2 weekly update

My Patreon-page

My ko-fi page

My Discord

 

16