Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 125. The Underground Mercenaries I
357 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 125. The Underground Mercenaries I
It was a long night for Rose. Even in Angel's arms, she needed another half hour to fall asleep. So Rose could only rest for a few hours before she woke up and got ready to return to the capital. Luckily she was able to take a rest during the trip and Angel didn't mind being her pillow.
It was a rush of travel since they hardly stopped in any town except to eat and sleep. But due to limited time, he had no other choice. During the journey, Angel also noticed that Rose was having a little trouble sleeping after they visited Pearl Gate City. He never thought it would affect her that badly so he decided to ask the royal doctor to check her out.
Their convoy arrived in the capital at dusk. Only a few people gathered on the sidewalk when their carriage passed through the street. They were whispering to each other due to their curiosity about the royal couple's sudden return. Since this was related to Pearl Gate City, Angel soon realized this could turn into a bad rumor so he decided to kill the rumor soon.
The night soon came and Angel was ready in disguise in his study room. He pretended to be a wealthy merchant from the east of Euphorion who wanted to ask the underground mercenaries' help to take revenge on a Euphorion noble who blackmailed him. He reasoned that he didn't have any proof so he couldn't report this to the king. So what he could do was solve this problem himself.
Since he was sure the mercenaries already recognized his face, he wore a mask to cover his face. Likewise with Flare. But instead of a guard uniform, Flare dressed up like a rich woman. She would pretend to be Angel's wife so she could accompany him.
Apart from the two of them, they also brought three other Black Devil soldiers who would pretend to be their bodyguards. But they were not sure the mercenaries would let the soldiers join the meeting. So this would be the two of them.
After Angel asked Rose to go to bed early, he left with Flare and the others with his Teleportation skill. Their meeting place was at an inn in a small town not far from Emerald Gate City.
The dark aura that covered their bodies disappeared. The sight of an alley and the dark sky entered their view. They swiftly made sure no one saw them before they got out of there and walked down the street. That alley was at least 500 Meters from their meeting place since Angel wanted to make sure his teleportation skill remained a secret. The mercenaries usually deployed a lot of spies to make sure their clients didn't have other intentions or try to trap them.
The only thing that lacked from their disguise was the carriage. But renting a carriage or bringing it from another city would only create new problems. The mercenaries would try to track down the origin of the carriage and that could lead to another massacre. So they decided to use another excuse to deal with this problem. That shouldn't be a problem.
As they expected, as they walked, they could catch some dark shadows watching them from the top of buildings and houses. The soldiers immediately pinned their location since they would return to clean up the spies later.
They arrived at a dirty inn. The building was a little smaller than the others and looked unkempt.
-Tring!
A small bell rang once they entered. A small lobby that was smaller than his chamber entered his view. That lobby only had a small bar and a few empty tables. The floor was made of wood with some stains everywhere, showing that the place was not cleaned properly. A creaking sound came out every time they stepped. But there was no one in the room except them.
"Something's not right, sir..." Flare muttered. Her eyes looked around her in caution. Her hand was ready to snatch her chakram under her dress. So were the others. Their hands were approaching the swords at their waists.
But Angel said otherwise.
"Stay calm. They're testing us," he whispered.

>Read 10 chapter ahead of DM + 2 weekly update

10