Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 179. The King’s Game of Chess II
165 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 179. The King's Game of Chess II

Angel noticed her expression and asked, "You look displeased. Is something wrong?"

Rose sighed, and admitted, "I am happy, but at the same time, I am not. I feel useless. You have taken care of everything so well that I don't have to do anything except be your display." Her words were tinged with disappointment, not in Angel but in herself.

But Angel was quick to soothe her worries, with a warm smile spreading across his face. "Trust me, Rose, you are far more useful than you think.” It was because of her that he had learned to forgive himself and remember that he was a human, not a monster.

Rose raised an eyebrow in disbelief, "Is that sarcasm?"

"No," Angel replied, his voice filled with genuine emotion. "It is a confession."

A heavy silence followed. However, it was short-lived, as the stillness was suddenly disrupted by the sound of dozens of heavily armed men rushing toward them. The rebels had made their move and were now charging with all their might.

The scene was now one of utter chaos, as the rebels and the Euphorion’s soldiers engaged in a full-blown battle. However, as Angel had predicted, the rebels were uncoordinated and their movements were sluggish. They stumbled and tripped over their own feet, and many of them were coughing and wheezing, evidence of the food poisoning that Angel's spies had inflicted upon them.

Rose, with her trusty whip, swung and snapped at the rebels, knocking them off balance and keeping them at bay. Meanwhile, Angel was a whirlwind of steel, his sword flashing in the moonlight as he dispensed justice with each powerful strike.

However, despite their weakened state, the rebels still proved to be formidable opponents. With a sense of determination in their eyes, they relentlessly attacked the Euphorion soldiers, seemingly trying to push them toward a specific location. The rebels were relentless, their attacks relentless and unyielding. Their goal was not to kill the Euphorion soldiers but to simply push them into a certain position. And to their surprise, the rebel’s plan was working.

The battle raged on. Some of the Euphorion soldiers and Angel found themselves in a dire situation. The rebels had managed to trap them, tying them up with a sturdy rope and pulling their legs so that they hung upside down on the trees.

As they hung there, the rebels closed in around them, jeering and laughing as they basked in their moment of victory. "I never expect the King of Euphorion would fall into our trap,” said one of them. The evil laugh echoed through the battlefield, tainting the air with a sense of malevolence and triumph.

But, as the rebels gloated, the soldiers of Euphorion remained calm and collected, even as the rebels surrounded them. Only Rose appeared slightly panicked, her eyes darting around as she searched for a way out. But one look at Angel's stoic expression was enough to assuage her fears.

With calculated precision, the Euphorion soldiers began to cut the ropes that held them. They reached for a knife on their belt and with a swift slice, the ropes that bound them fell to the ground. Meanwhile, Angel effortlessly threw his sword, cutting through the ropes that held him captive with ease. In a fluid motion, he caught his sword again and landed back on his feet as if nothing had happened.

Angel's cold voice rang out, "Cheap tricks," as he sneered at the rebels. With his whistle, the tables turned as the rebels fell into their own trap one by one. The traps that they had set for Euphorion's soldiers instead caught the rebels' legs, hanging them upside down as the troops escaped unscathed. The rebels, now vulnerable and suspended, were at the mercy of Euphorion's army

As the battle came to an end, Rose was in awe of Angel’s efficiency and precision. It was as if he was playing a game of chess, and Euphorion's army had made all the right moves to come out on top.

"How did you do it?" Rose asked, her eyes wide with wonder.

Angel gave her a small smile. "My spies are among the rebels," he said. "They were able to kill their scout and adjust the traps to our advantage, activating them at my signal."

Rose’s eyes widened in awe. "So this battle was just your playground, then?" she asked, a hint of admiration in her voice.

"No," Angel replied, his expression turning serious. "There are some things I cannot control. So don't let your guard down."

Rose nodded, understanding the gravity of the situation. She knew that they were far from being out of danger.

"It's getting late," Angel warned. "We have to move now." The attack had taken a toll on their horses, and they had lost many of them. This would slow them down and make their journey even more difficult.

>Read 10 chapter ahead of DM + 2 weekly update

6