Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 189. The Cave II
144 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 189. The Cave II
Rose could feel her heart beating faster as they moved. The darkness seemed to press in around them as if it were a living thing that sought to suffocate them. But Angel's presence was a comforting one, and she found herself relaxing slightly in his company.
After what seemed like an eternity, they saw a faint speck of light in the distance.
In the distance, a faint speck of light glimmered like a precious gem, beckoning them forward with its tantalizing glow. Rose's heart leaped with joy and relief, for it was the first sign of life they had seen since their descent into this black abyss. It was like a beacon in the night, calling out to them, urging them to press on.
But Angel was not so easily swayed by hope. He knew that light did not always mean safety, that danger could lurk in even the most promising of places. He drew Rose close, his hand on her shoulder, and whispered in her ear, his breath warm against her cheek.
"We should wait inside," he whispered, his voice low and urgent. The words echoed through the cavern, bouncing off the rough walls and filling the space with a palpable sense of danger. They had only been inside for half an hour, and he wasn't sure if Frost had taken care of all the rebels or if they were still lurking in the shadows, waiting to strike.
She turned to him, her eyes wide with confusion. After all the confidence he had shown before, it was strange to see him falter like this. "Why?" she asked, her voice trembling slightly with a mix of fear and uncertainty.
"They're probably waiting for us out there," he explained, his tone grave. "And we don't know how many there are. If they're prepared with arrows and traps, we could be walking into a trap."
The thought of walking into a trap made her blood run cold. They were only two people, and even with the protection of the magic shield, there was only so much they could do against a well-prepared enemy. The risk of facing the rebels face-to-face was tantamount to suicide.
"It made sense," she thought to herself. How could he have been so thorough in his preparation and yet still remain cautious? A shiver ran down her spine as she considered the danger they were in. "Should we check first?" she suggested, trying to keep her voice steady. "We can't stay in here all night," she added, her tone betraying a sense of urgency.
Although waiting for Frost and the others in the cave was a good idea, the moment the rebels entered there, that would be their drawback. In the dark, they would have a hard time fighting the rebels. On the other hand, if they didn't get out, the rebels might think they were both dead which was a good option.
"I'll check," he announced finally, his voice low and urgent.
She nodded, her heart pounding with a mix of fear and anticipation. All their conversations were done in hushed whispers.
With a deep breath, Angel pressed his back against the cold, damp wall of the cavern, his hand gripping the hilt of his sword tightly. He knew that the next few moments would be critical, and he needed to be cautious and alert.
Slowly, he crept forward, his body tense and ready for any sign of danger. He could feel the weight of the darkness pressing down on him, suffocating and oppressive, as he moved closer to the mouth of the cave.
But even in the darkness, Angel's instincts were sharp. He scanned the area with his keen eyes, searching for any sign of movement or danger. He longed to use his Evil Eye spell, but in this Magic Shield, he couldn’t.
As Angel peered out from the mouth of the cave, he could see the tall trees towering overhead, their branches rustling in the gentle breeze.
But then his ears caught the sound of faint voices of people talking, The rebels were waiting for them outside. He knew that he needed to listen closely and gather as much information as he could.
The voices grew louder, and he could make out the words being spoken. They were discussing something in hushed tones, and Angel realized something unexpected. The rebels believed that he and Rose were dead. And he knew that they needed to use it to their advantage.

>Read 10 chapter ahead of DM + 2 weekly update

6