Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 193. The Cave VI
132 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 193. The Cave VI
Without wasting time, Rose joined Angel in his grim task. Without hesitation, she began to pull the lifeless bodies towards the campfire, her arms straining with the weight of each corpse.
Angel worked swiftly, his movements deft and sure as he arranged the corpses into a semblance of life. He positioned them around the campfire, their limbs arranged as if they were resting. Rose watched as he leaned one against the wall, tucking its legs underneath it, and another sat cross-legged with its back against the cold, hard ground.
Rose's hands shook as she arranged the final body, a rebel soldier whose lifeless eyes seemed to stare accusingly at her. She gritted her teeth, forcing herself to push through the revulsion she felt at the sight of the dead man's twisted limbs.
After they finished, he began to wipe his boots against the rocky surface, using the sole to scrub away the bloodstains. Rose followed his lead, quickly removing her own boots and joining in the task. The two of them worked in silence, their movements coordinated as they scrubbed and wiped away any sign of the conflict that had taken place. It was necessary if they were to fool their enemies into believing that the rebel soldiers were still alive and well.
After wiping away any trace of blood, Angel and Rose exchanged glances.
Angel took charge of the next step, his voice low and steady as he outlined the plan. "I will lure them. Kill them once they are near the fireplace," he said, his eyes fixed firmly on Rose.
She nodded in response, her eyes bright with determination. “I understand,” she said. She knew what was expected of her. She would wait inside the cavern, hidden from sight, ready to strike as soon as the archers were within reach.
Angel also nodded. "Be careful," he warned. Even though the risk was much smaller, it didn't mean that everything would be easy.
When he was about to leave, Rose suddenly spoke up. "You are the one who should be careful," she said, her voice firm and unwavering. Angel paused for a moment, his eyes meeting hers. He nodded in response, a small smile tugging at the corners of his mouth before he turned and disappeared into the darkness.
Angel made his way to the entrance of the cavern, moving with the stealth and grace of a predator. He pressed his back against the rough stone wall, his senses alert for any sign of danger.
As he approached the entrance, he peered carefully forward, his eyes scanning the darkness for any sign of movement. In the distance, he could make out the flickering light of another campfire, surrounded by several figures who were huddled together with half-closed eyes.
Despite the risk, Angel knew that he had to act quickly if he was going to lure the archers into the cavern. He reached down and picked up a small rock, weighing it carefully in his hand before hurling it towards the campfire.
The rock sailed through the air, narrowly missing the group of figures as it landed with a dull thud in the dirt.
The rebels abruptly stopped their conversation. They turned their heads, their eyes squinting in the dim light of the campfire.
One of the rebels muttered something to his companions, and they exchanged glances. They were hesitant to investigate, but the possibility of danger was too great to ignore. After a brief discussion, three of them stood up and cautiously approached the cavern.
"Did you see anything?" asked one of the rebels, his voice low and tense.
Angel remained silent, hoping to maintain his cover. He watched as they scrutinized the area, their eyes darting from one shadow to the next.
"I think it came from over there," said another rebel, pointing in the direction of the cavern wall where Angel was hiding.
The first rebel nodded, and the trio slowly advanced, their hands tightly gripping their weapons.
Quickly, Angel retreated to the cavern. He knew that he had to act quickly, but he also knew that he couldn't attack them before they went further into the cave. Doing so would alarm his comrades in front of the cavern, and that would compromise their position. He watched as the rebels passed him by, their torches casting flickering shadows on the walls of the cavern. His eyes narrowed as he followed them, staying in the shadows and remaining undetected.
The rebels walked further and further, their footsteps echoing against the rock, their torches casting a flickering light on the jagged walls around them. Angel remained behind, his senses heightened as he listened to their every move.
As they approached a bend in the tunnel, the rebels caught sight of a faint glow up ahead. They quickened their pace, eager to see what lay ahead. They saw a campfire flickering in the darkness.
The rebels exchanged weary smiles as they greeted their friends around the campfire. But as they settled in and took a closer look, they realized something was wrong. The rebels huddled around the fire were unresponsive, their eyes staring blankly ahead.
One of the rebels reached out to shake his friend's shoulder. "Hey, are you all right?"
But there was no response.
Another rebel leaned in closer, examining the blank expression on his friend's face. "What's going on? Why aren't they answering us?"
The third rebel stood up, his eyes scanning the cavern walls for any signs of danger. "We need to get out of here. Something's not right."

>Read 10 chapter ahead of DM + 2 weekly update

5