Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 258. Bloodline I
119 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 258. Bloodline I
Angel's words landed like an unexpected slap to King Gervis, jolting him into a sudden awareness of the grave transgression he had committed. The violation of the agreement, the attempt to tarnish Angel's reputation — they were not inconsequential acts. With a room full of guests as witnesses and the backdrop of yesterday's tumultuous events, Angel had every reason to wield his authority and pass a severe judgment.
Silence gripped King Gervis. He stood there, a king stripped of his regality, faced with the potential consequences of his own rash actions. The realization that Angel now held the power to decide his fate hung heavy in the air.
In the quiet of the room, King Gervis grappled with the weight of his choices. He couldn't find words to defend himself because, deep down, he knew the fault was his. If Angel chose to invoke the gravest of consequences, what remained of King Gervis's family was Ophelia. The fate of his lineage rested on the mercy of the very man he had accused and attempted to disgrace.
Ophelia stepped forward, placing herself between Angel and her father. She bowed, a symbol of humility in the face of a potential calamity.
"Your Majesty," Ophelia began, her voice carrying the weight of both grief and desperation. Her eyes, still moist from tears, pleaded with Angel. "A kingdom without a king is a kingdom destined for ruin. My brother's tragic end has left us vulnerable, and I'm not strong enough to bear the burden of the kingdom alone. If you take my father, Asteria will crumble. If punishment is what you seek for the grievous mistake made, let it fall upon me. I am willing to bear the consequences," she implored, fully aware of the gravity of her father's actions.
This heartfelt plea tugged at Angel's sense of justice. Ophelia's genuine concern for her kingdom, coupled with the raw pain of losing her brother, was evident in every word. She understood the fatal nature of her father's mistake and was willing to sacrifice her own well-being for the sake of Asteria.
King Gervis, witnessing his daughter's selflessness, couldn't help but react. "Ophelia!" he scolded her with sadness etched across his face. The loss of his son was a gaping wound, and the prospect of losing his daughter to the consequences of his actions was an unbearable thought. Yet, Ophelia's plea underscored the severity of the situation and the dire straits the kingdom found itself in.
Ophelia's words hung in the air, a poignant acknowledgment of the challenges she believed she had posed throughout her life. She turned towards her father, a faint smile on her lips that betrayed both acceptance and sadness. "Father, I know that, for the most part of my life, I've been nothing but a source of problems for you. So let me be useful for once," she said, her voice carrying the weight of sorrow and determination. Her willingness to sacrifice herself for the sake of the kingdom was evident in her demeanor.
King Gervis, caught in a whirlwind of emotions, took a step towards Ophelia, a fatherly instinct pushing him to protect his daughter. However, the soldiers surrounding him, a stark reminder of the consequences of his actions, closed in, creating an unbridgeable gap. "You are still young," he began, his voice carrying a tone of regret that echoed through the corridor. "You can learn many things and become a strong queen to protect this kingdom," he added, a mix of sorrow and fatherly advice lacing his words.
Ophelia's sacrifice, though heartbreaking, seemed like the only viable solution in the face of impending doom for his beloved kingdom. The regret in King Gervis's heart intensified as he witnessed the ramifications of his own actions. The kingdom stood at the precipice, and the once-mighty ruler found himself unable to shield his own family from the fallout.
Before Ophelia or anyone else could utter another word, Angel interjected with a calm but resolute tone, cutting through the emotional atmosphere. "Ophelia, you might believe that I'd hesitate because this involves the people and kingdom of Asteria. But you need to remember, even if King Gervis meets his end, the Reinheart family's bloodline won't be erased. I am fulfilling the necessary conditions to ascend to this kingdom's throne," he reminded them, his words carrying the weight of the grim reality.
The statement hung in the air, a sobering acknowledgment that the repercussions of King Gervis's actions extended beyond personal grief.

>Read 10 chapter ahead of DM + 2 weekly update

4