Chapter Two
744 6 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Because he had grown up in an orphanage, time had taught him that if he wanted something, even if it was resources or affection, he had to work for it. And because of this, he thought that as long as he worked hard and proved himself his family would love him. But sadly his actions only worked against him, the harder he worked and the more he achieved was the more suspicious he became to the Shan family and they continued to push him away.

 

The foolish and naïve Shan Quon thought that he hadn’t worked hard enough and so he pushed himself harder eventually outshining his half-brothers. Because of this, the Shan family viewed him as being vicious and willing to do anting to get close to him, their actions towards him from then on became cold. Looking at the actions and thoughts of their masters the servants felt they needn’t treat the young boy well and so from then on Shan Quon suffered.

 

He became confused because of their actions and this confusion had changed him in many ways but in the end, he still wanted to know his charge before he was convicted. He also stopped paying attention to them and instead worked hard to make himself better and after years of toil, he became strong enough to dig into the things that had happened all those years ago.

 

The more he found out was the less he understood, but as he was focused on clearing up the truth, the Shan family found out he had been digging into their past and felt this was a direct attack on them. Because of this they banded together and crushed him, all his years of hard work and endless toiling had been turned into nothing overnight.

 

It was beyond his understanding as to why they attacked him, but even after they had flushed away his life’s work the Shan family felt that it was too dangerous to let him be and so he has locked away. At the age of twenty-eight Shan Quon was forced into a mental facility, he was drugged and strapped tightly in a safety jacket before he was locked in a padded room.

 

All this happened because the man who claimed to be his father said he was ill, after spending many years in such a place he had really gone insane. Years later an issue occurred and the asylum had to be closed down, taking the chance he got away but instead of going on the run he went to the headquarters of the Shan family’s conglomerate and by some miracle made it to the roof.

 

After going insane it was as if his mind had become clear and he understood that in the eyes of the Shan family he meant nothing. Because of this, he was able to let go of all of his confusion and riddled emotions before he jumped to his death feeling freer than he ever had.

 

Now after being reborn and meeting these people again he knew he had fooled himself into believing he had let it all go. But so what? As long as he was able to continue fooling himself he would never have to live the life he did again, those confusing feelings would never drown out his common sense and he could live freely. So at this moment, he became the trickster and the audience that was easily fooled and he intended to live the rest of his life this way.

 

In the time he had taken to go through his memories only a moment had passed so as he looked over at old man Shan the man was still observing him. Shan Quon couldn’t tell what the other was thinking but he also knew he would never be able to fathom the thoughts of old man Shan so he decided not to think about it.

 

His hand came up to cover his mouth as he yawned and stood lazily as the man observed him, old man Shan frowned slightly but said nothing before he sat back. At the gesture of the old man’s hand, he took a seat across from the Shan family members and propped his chin up with his hand. He took on a lazy posture as old man Shan introduced each of them to him, he could clearly see the deep frown on the old man’s face.

 

He knew that he had lost a chance to gain the man’s favor but even after all his effort in his last life he never had the old man’s favor so in this life he wouldn’t even try. After the introduction, the family talked about themselves and made up a fake story of how they had lost him. When it looked as if he had been convinced they moved on to changing his name and completing the procedures to welcome him into the family.

 

As Shan Quon looked around at the people that smiled as they welcomed him to the family he began to feel very drained, all he wanted was to sleep. But with a sigh, he followed the family into the dining hall that was reserved for the family members alone. He remembered how sad it used to make him when he was banned from entering the room it was a clear message that none of them considered him a family member.

 

But as someone who was afraid of being abandoned after finally meeting his family, he was blinded by fear and couldn’t see the situation properly. As he sat among the Shan family he wondered why they didn’t just tell him the truth from the beginning. Maybe if he knew then things would be different but no matter how he dug no one would tell him, it was clear that he wasn’t solely responsible for his demise, his only fault was being ignorant.

 

The thoughts that were swirling around his head faded as the meal was finally served and it wasn’t much of a surprise that they had served seafood, who told him to be allergic to the favorite food of old man Shan’s deceased wife.

27