Chapter Five
683 10 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was almost night time when the butler came to call the Shan children in, after looking around he found Shan Quon still curled up sleeping in the lounge chair. He called out his name a few times before Shan Quon sleepily opened his eyes and stared at the butler in confusion for a few minutes before he seemed to remember where he was and sat up.

 

“Third young master Shan, kindly head inside, the other children have already returned.” The butler spoke respectfully as he stepped back and Shan Quon gave a lazy nod before he headed inside.

 

When he got there most of the members of the family were sitting around in the living room, Shan Quon looked at them laughing and talking among themselves and carrying on as if they didn’t notice him. He remembered seeing this same scene many times in his past life, he was very eager to get along with the others and be able to laugh and talk as freely as they did.

 

But even though the Shan family was quite large they were still close-knit and even if it was only the heir and his family that were allowed to live in the family home the rest weren’t too bothered by it. They were all very successful in their own careers and even without the existence of the Shan family they would be able to live well so they had no plans to compete with Shan Uang for the title of heir.

 

That was why when he began to compete for attention with his brothers and actively outshined his brothers, the others didn’t take it kindly. What made it worse was the other members of the board who had always been jealous of the members of the Shan family. They began to compare his achievements to those of Shan Gan, saying that if it went on they might as well take him on as the heir.

 

Even though it was hard for him to see the outsiders could see that he became an easy weakness of the Shan family and wanted to use him to harm them. Because the Shan family hadn’t told him who they considered their competitors and enemies he had ended up getting along with and accepting the help of those people. He was someone who had craved attention and praise so when he received it from those who stood against the Shan family, he unknowingly became a lamb to the slaughter.

 

If you were to look at it from an outsider's point of view, it would be clear that the things that followed were the fault of the Shan family. They could have spared themselves the trouble by simply explaining everything to Shan Quon, but because of their successful life, it was easy for them to be arrogant, and think that anything that happened was the sole fault of Shan Quon.

 

Shen Quon sighed and brushed the thought away, there was no point in thinking about it, the things that happened could never be changed since it had already come to an end. But he was given a second chance and in this life, his only concern would be himself. As he thought of that he yawned, he couldn’t tell if it was because of the exhaustion he had brought back from his last life or if it was a side-effect of canceling his emotions but he didn’t care, all he needed to do now was to live quietly in this life.

 

He looked around and found an empty sitting area that was positioned by the window, he went over and sat down, looking out the window. He remained like that until the servants came to let them know that dinner had been prepared, he lazily followed behind them and then sat between Shan Uang and Shan Gan.

 

Dinner this time was clear of any signs of seafood and since steak had been served at lunch they switched to serving a lamb dinner. With just a whiff of the food that was served on his plate a bit of Shan Quon’s drowsiness faded and he sat up and picked up his utensils to begin eating. Even though the Shans had become cold to him over time, at first they were distant but diligent with his growth, so he learned many things including dining etiquette.

 

It had been ingrained in him so as he ate his movements were light and graceful without the sound of his utensils hitting the dishes. The sight of this made the family a bit suspicious but they simply shrugged it off and continued to speak among themselves. Shan Quon knew that his actions might make them suspicious of him but everything they had ever thought of him had been ingrained into his soul.

 

These things had become part of his actions and since he no longer held any expectations of them he didn’t really care what they thought of him, whether they were good or bad to him he would simply accept it. When he was finished he looked up to see the members of the Shan family were still eating, it was obvious they would take longer to eat seeing that they were talking among themselves.

 

Even though this action might have seemed rude and disgusting the Shan family members still held onto their graceful image as they did as they pleased. He looked away and once again relaxed in his chair, his back slouched and his head tilted until he found a comfortable position and drowsily fluttered his eyes as he waited on them.

 

From the side of his eyes, Old Master Shan had been paying attention to the actions of Shan Quon even as he ate and spoke with his family. Since he entered the same room with the boy he had been paying attention to him and even though his lazy gate had been a constant the boy hadn’t really done anything for him to be suspicious.

 

But as he looked at him he knew that the boy was completely different from the image he had created after investigating him. He no longer seemed like a child that would do anything for affection and that caused the old Master to be relived. As long as he remained the way he was he wouldn’t mind supporting this lazy grandchild of his for the rest of his life.

26