[Arc 0] Chapter 2 – King’s Garden
5.5k 21 157
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[This chapter will be partly rewritten]

Darkness. Endless. Timeless. Light. 

"Professor, she's awake!"

Voices...

"ÿÁí.De>, you need to stay awake!"

It's so cold...so so cold.

"God damn it, we're losing her again. We need to ♠▄ã"

I don't know, I—I can't. It's all too...much.

"░ƒJ▲ð╝ Anansi will fail! We need to –š▬«"

Finally—Silence.

 


 

Have you ever wondered if people would try to find you after you suddenly vanish? Whether loved ones or enemies? Would they stop at one point or hope for your return? Perhaps they will leave some kind of sign that they will always look for or remember you. Maybe nothing will happen at all, and they just forget about you. You are simply not important enough, and they know how to show you that.

That's my current predicament: bustling streets, cafes, and shops right at the doorstep of my temple complex. I did never expect this. There're even freaking professors, students, travelers, and other people in front of the entryway, studying and marvel at the buildings, glyphs, and stone walls, where my wards begin. My hideout is a motherfucking tourist attraction. 

Oh, come on, really, just how much you want to tell me, World, that nobody gives a damn about me. It kinda makes me sad. Building a glorious temple, put fancy wards aro— 

The wards. I put them up as a beacon to lure people here so they can shatter them, obtain the sword, and finding my door in the process. But why are they still intact? Did civilization regress; it can't be, can it? 

Racking my brain over something like this isn't the answer either. I need more information, I guess. But first, I have to get out of here—stealthy— and reconsider my next moveAt least none can see me with my wards around. It works similarly to a one-way mirror. They still see the buildings, but I'm invisible to them. Furthermore, the generated barrier mostly suppresses the incoming noise. All you hear are whispers in the wind. It's more poetic than it sounds. You get it? Sound? ...Nevermind. 

Basically, it helps me not to freak out over my teeny tiny phobia. I can stand masses, but not right after seeing one again in such a long time. They remind me of something I honestly never want to remember anew. 

While walking towards the outer wards, I see more and more of the townscape open up. Whilst the temple got built, it was surrounded by a beautiful evergreen forest. Thriving wildlife, rare exotic plants, stunning flower fields midst a clearing; everything just gone. These intruders cut down everything. Replaced by stone, plain logs, and planks. Perhaps I would find more elegance and beauty in these rotten buildings if they weren't made from the seeds I planted and nursed myself. 

Actually, I couldn't care less, but I'm mad that they established a big town around me without knocking at their neighbor's door. What would you feel like if you go outside, after a long refreshing sleep, and see that somebody built a house in your dooryard? The proper response is freaking out and kill kindly ask them to fuck off and scram. So, where can I file a complaint? Maybe at this large ass castle over there at the horizon. Goddess, this town is huuuge. 

As the midday sun is burning me crispy, I try to decipher the language of the whispers. What an odd way to speak—reminds me of one of these long-forgotten languages. Fortunately, magic does the trick. I open my storage—just imagine a small black tear in space—and take out a small earring with an embedded burgundy gemstone. Another invention for the everyday lazy person. Roughly explained, it works like this: first of all, it analyzes the spoken language; if it is not already in its magic memory, it compares it with all the languages available in the library and draws conclusions about word construction and interpretation. It then actively listens to surrounding conversations to crack the language code—where a word begins and ends. Phonetic relationships will be determined; words and their meanings are getting linked to situations. As the earring repeats this process repeatedly—to draw further conclusions—it compares it to the other memorized languages as it progresses. This process, depending on its complexity, can take several minutes or hours. Basically, the learning process is no different than a baby learning to speak. The magic invention can, in theory, also learn writing, but it needs much more time for that because of the required number of books. After the jewelry learns the language, all you have to do is put it on, and it translates it for you and even allows speaking the language. The wearer understands all the stored languages simultaneously but is limited to one language while talking. Of course, you can adjust it anytime, but it is usually complicated to do so. 

I don't know the name of the spoken language, nobody talked about it, but at least I understand it; took only half an hour. Still, gained some valuable information in the meanwhile. I'm pretty shocked; people tend to talk about too many things when they think nobody listens. Raphael here sleeps with his best friend's wife...and with his best friend. Neither of them knows that the other one beds with him. Raphael doesn't know that his wife has an affair with the baker's lady. Don't know which bakery she's from; maybe she sleeps with more than one? 

Anyways, the worthwhile information is considerably interesting. The town is called King's Garden; apparently, it's this empire's capital. It was founded by the twelfth generation of heroes, approximately six or seven millennia ago. After a while, it became the capital of the human empire due to its rich environmental mana. They lumbered the entire forest and found the 'hideout' in the process. Some heroes tried to get in but failed. Till now, nobody even scratched the barrier generated by my wards...huh, weaklings. As it is, the magic I used for my little baits is not very common among humans or most other races. And those who practice it are not wanted in the human nations. Speaking of empires, it looks like most of the races split up and established their own territories. There seem to be some exceptions, but unfortunately, they are few. 

I'm drifting off again. Soo, the castle, as part of the capital, was built outside the woods. Oddly enough, my temple seemed way too popular with adventurers, scientists, artists, believers, pilgrims, and other strange people. The consequence was that over time, a business area was built around it. The further you walk away from the temple and the castle, the shabbier the houses and stores become until you reach the slums. If you go from the temple towards the fortified palace, the environment around you becomes increasingly luxurious and expensive. 

Four main streets, starting around the temple complex, lead in one of the respective cardinal directions. The southern goes through the decaying slums. Nobody actually talked about where this road ends. The western one proceeds through the area where various main workshops of the artisan and craftsmen are situated. Most of them also live there, except those who can loosen some coins; they try to snatch a place at the eastern district. All the guilds, taverns, more expensive inns, casern, warehouses, and standard residences are said to be there. Many shop owners or higher adventures and mercenaries live here. Though I can't really tell, the information is tangled with rumors and other stuff. The northern street is called King's Way. It obviously leads to the palace. None of the people that walked around my temple really knew anything about the so-called royal district. If you leave the business area and follow this road, you reach a unique gate. Without an invitation, proof of aristocracy, or whatever you need them to let you pass through, the High Guards will stop you. These guards are somewhat special here; they're handpicked and need to train at some kind of academy. Didn't really listen about the specifics. Like King's Garden, the royal district has extra fortifications for defense. 

In between the royal and the eastern district lies the royal academy. You can enter it from both sections. The reason why it was built there is probably to show the townsfolk that anyone can climb the ladder of the empire if they have the talent and ambitions. From what I have heard, it seems to be working. It is said that some generals and high councilmembers who came from peasant homes or miserable backgrounds managed to work their way up through time and effort. If you ask me, it sounds like pure propaganda. The aristocracy would never allow it to be put on a par with mere minions, let alone show them due respect—I'm speaking from experience. Above all, the human representatives are the most sickening. But maybe something has changed in my absence...haha, and orcs might fly.

To be fair, dunno what's true or false. I still need to be careful; maybe humanity is controlled by a mind weaver, and all this information is utter garbage to let you feel safe. Well, probably not. Either way, humanity wouldn't be missed, at least not by me. I will never forgive what they...

Sigh, I already feel the strain on my sanity just by being among so many people. Yep, people. Not everybody in the imperial capital is human. There are also elves, dwarves, and by the look of it, enslaved beast-kin. The reason for that is a treaty with the elven and dwarven empire; it's mainly about trade, borders, and mutual esteem. Humanity passed an anti-enslavement law to show its benevolence. Officially, if you get caught, you are sentenced to death. Unfortunately, the law only includes the two races. So yeah, beast-kin slaves. 

Most races called a truce with the humans, like the naga and lamia. They don't care enough about those laughable monkeys to go to war with them and waste their time. Honestly, even I don't know what lamias or nagas do in their free time. Laying eggs and stuff, I suppose...wait, is it speciesist to say that? Hope not; I like these snakey women. Ohh, these tails, they can reach the dee—stop, stop, stop, let's not go down that rabbit hole. 

Um, yeah, where was I? Right, races. From what I've picked up, the only ones in an all-out war with them are the Ninki Nanka, Taniwha, and the Ashen Realm, also known as the demon empire. That humans are in a conflict with demons is almost too stereotypical. Yet to piss off not one but two deep-sea creature clans borders on suicide if you want to engage in sea trade. You don't fucking anger what crawls in the endless cold waters. As a matter of fact, the Ninki Nanka normally lives in murky swamps of the world's warmer regions. Their migration is an absolute terrible augury of what else has changed in this realm's ecosystem throughout my seclusion.

In the city, however, one does not get the feeling that war is being waged. Apparently, the war zones are very far away from the capital. I don't think the residents are worried at all—warfare is not uncommon/seldom. Well, as the saying goes: what the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve over.

Sadly, nobody talked about the town's naming process. I mean, heroes founded the city, none of them was a king, and there is no fucking garden here. No, the royal garden doesn't count; it was created hundreds of years later! Was it more like a metaphorical way of thinking, like a place where a ruler would genuinely care about and nurture its growth? Intention missed, I guess. Or...could it be...? Are the slums actually royal dumps where the penniless are treated a little less like filth and scum every day than in the other cities of the empire!? Oh my, what a charming way to say 'fuck you' to those in need. Humans know best how to look down on others while making themselves look their best; I'll give them that. 

------

A few hours later, the streets began to be less crowded. Surprisingly the students were still there...what busy little ants they are—only waiting to be crushed. I wonder, does squashing them have the same results of a crunching, crispy sound followed by various body fluids splattering out? Haa~, why do I have principles? Being a good evildoer is hard work...all the missed-out fun. Meh, whatever. I just want them gone, so I can walk out unnoticedThe only helpful thing I learned from them is some insight about the system. 

Apparently, every child gains access to the system for the first time at the age of five. Besides age, name, race, and gender, it also displays a so-called Level, Experience Points, Title, Class, Attributes, Skills, Skill Levels, Affinities, Blessings, and Curses. The Level is supposed to represent the overall power progress and the accumulated Experience Points as a number. The Experience Points—EXP for short—show the gained life experience and development as well as the intermediate progress to the next Level. Each Level requires a certain number of EXP. The higher the level, the more EXP is necessary to proceed. Experience is gained by doing something regularly, which doesn't seem to bring much progress, defeating other people in duels or matches, or simply killing living creatures. There were also different options for gaining EXP, but they didn't really talk about it. Furthermore, it appears that there are also so-called quests, but these seem to be rare.  

Classes are professions that are usually earned, inherited, or given as a boon, much like Titles. Subclasses are probably also a thing. Unfortunately, I haven't quite been able to figure out the difference or what they even mean per se. Attributes are divided into Vitality, Intelligence, Strength, Agility, Endurance, and so on. After a Level Up, you receive a certain number of Attribute Points, which you can distribute among the individual values. Still, again, I lack the insight to say anything more specific. Skills can be learned, mimicked, copied, borrowed, stolen, created, given, inherited, or innate. There is seemingly a separate group of professors who deal with this topic. Curses and Blessings are effects that come from either Skills cast by people or other powerful entities. They influence the bearer positively or negatively and usually cannot be removed. Skill Levels, Affinities, and Titles have not been talked about.

As it seems to me, the System apparently affects all known races and probably most other creatures as well. Who introduced it and why? I can't say, but it seems to allow infinite potential if you know how to do it. I really need to gain access. The system seems to me to be a solution to some of the weaknesses of my invention. I just need to figure out a way to infiltrate myself. 

Another thing I overheard but deeply disturbs me is the mentioning of gods. Before I disappeared, there was no such thing as 'gods.' Where do they come from, what do they want, why did they put a system in place? Questions upon questions, which I'm sure I'll be able to answer in time. 

But I have to admit, so far, while still concerned, I am pleased with many of these new changes that have occurred in the world—a delicate little playground on which to amuse myself. Maybe start a minor conflict there, a small one here, and then a city has been accidentally burned to the ground, and hate and sorrow fill the air. Yep, what a lovely thought...so as long as I don't have to get directly involved in politics or personally participate in it, I'll definitely get my money's worth. 

Oops, through my rambling, I have not noticed at all that the streets have emptied almost completelyI look around again to make sure that no one sees me. That includes avoiding any unnecessary attention at the beginning so I can play nicely in the shadows, and, after I'm sure that really no one is looking, I step out of my barrier. 

The cooling summer night breeze wafts a hint of roses through the streets; the scent envelopes me. A broad grin spreads across my face. My arms tremble in expectant anticipation of what the future may hold...and the possibility of finding something fresh to eat tonight. 

 


 

I awake to the clanking of chains, the lamentations of the others, and the sound of whips on the naked flesh while torturers demanding that one must be quiet. I wonder if today is the day if someone will finally come to my cell and release me from all the torment and loneliness. What did I do to deserve such injustice? By what right do others elevate themselves and evaluate me as less valuable. Do I not have the right to live? Am I not allowed to be happy too?

But as usual, nothing happens, sounds fade away, and the usual dead silence returns. Only my barely audible pitiful sobs break through the coolness of my prison now and then. I would like to know how long I have been here, since that evening when the men came into our house and ra...

Footsteps sound. They come closer and closer, and as usual, they will pass by my iron door, leaving me as always with even more profound disappointment. The footsteps are heavy and sluggish; they come increasingly closer, then suddenly stop. T-The person is at my door. Are they finally going to kill me? Please, let me die at last!

The door opens, and I catch sight of a fat little man with greasy hair and a hideous mustache. He's wearing some kind of noble clothes, that kind that mother used to tell me about in the stories. He smells way too flowery; the scent irks me. 

He opens his mouth, and a much more unpleasant smell of rot hits me.

"Today, you'll finally be auctioned. I'm sure we'll find you a...," he says, licking his lips, "suitable buyer. Someone like you is worth a lot, especially since you're a virgin too."

My stomach turns, and I whisper, "Why can't I just die..."     

157