Chapter  2 – III –
53 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter  2 - III -

 

I think I did several laps before she finally let me go for a break.  It’s my first time, and my leg muscles were sore from all the running.

 

I’m regretting this…

 

“Hey!” it was the Marquise, “You fine?”

 

“Does this look fine to you?”

 

Haha!  You’ll be fine.” she patted me on the back, “When I first did the training, my entire body was in pain that I wasn’t able to sleep for quite a while.”

 

“You’re not thinking of doing that to me, are you?”

 

The Marquise only smiled.

 

“You’re a demon!”

 

Haha!  That’s what my girls always tell me once they began training.  But in the end, they would eventually thank me.”

 

“What, for torturing them so much they can withstand the pain?”

 

“You could say that…” the Marquise winked at me, “But what matters is, every time we go into our duties, they would come back alive.  I think it’s what matters.”

 

Somehow, there’s something deep in those words that the Marquise of Monfort just said.  She stared into the air for a moment before she handed me a glass of water.

 

“Well, they call me the ‘Golden Sword of Heaven’, but I don’t think I’m fit for that name.” the Marquise admitted, “I just want my girls—my family—to return alive, and so I do my best to protect them.”  

 

The atmosphere between us became solemn, and I could not find any words to say to her now.

 

She slapped my back once again, “Because of that, you need to finish that drink and rest as soon as possible.  You still have the sword training to attend to!”

 

 

Lily returned just in time before dinner was served.  She told us that the master glassmaker would finish the hourglass after a while, so she’d just have to return for it later.  Well, with the matter about Chersea’s calendar put in full motion, it’s time now to move on to other issues…

 

Like that of Sir Osmond, of the Arles Militia, who came with her.

 

“Hello, Mister Kuro!” he greeted me when we encountered each other in the courtyard, with me limping around because of my tired and painful body, “It’s been a while since we saw each other!  Are you alright?”

 

“Sorry, I was just training.”

 

“You sure you’re just training?” he asked with a bewildered look on his face, “Because you looked like you fought some giant Leviathan and barely got out.”

 

“Haha…” I could only answer Sir Osmond’s comment with a dry laugh, so I quickly changed the topic, “Anyway, what’s up?  Got anything for me at the town?”

 

By the way, a Leviathan was a huge Chersean land monster.  It resembled a giant salamander crossed with a turtle.  Its carapace was said to be incredibly hard like Mithril, and it’s commonly used in siege battles in the past.

 

Ah no…my apologies.” the militiaman replied with an apologetic bow, “I came with Miss Lily here because there’s an urgent matter that I need to discuss with Her Holiness.”

 

“Oh?” I was surprised by the serious expression on his face—totally out of his character.  I turned to Lily, who technically had the responsibility of being Maddie’s ears.  She just nodded and fetched the Saint in her private quarters.

 

“Well, Sir Osmond, I guess you’ll have to come with me to the guest lounge.” I offered.

 

“Sure, lead the way!”

 

 

Maddie, because of the suddenness of the situation, had our dinner served at the guest room of the Saint’s Chambers palace.  Of course, she also made sure that Sir Osmond was served his share; but the soldier barely touched his food.

 

“Your Holiness, I’d like to ask for your forgiveness for this sudden visit.” he began, “But I find it a matter of urgency to let you know of what happened to Arles just recently.”

 

“It’s fine, Sir Osmond.  Please speak freely.” she reassured him, “And don’t forget to eat your food as you explain.”

 

“Thank you, Your Holiness!” Sir Osmond then took a mouthful of food, chewing it carefully and swallowing before continuing, “You see, last season, there was a gravely injured man who came to us.  There was a letter within him, and it is addressed to you.”

 

Lily took the letter from the militiaman’s hand and opened it for Maddie to read.  While she was scanning its contents, Sir Osmond explained…

 

“The man died from his wounds, which we think were sustained from combat.  His armor had a noticeable deformity, likely caused by a mace or a club.”

 

I stared at Maddie as she silently read the entire letter.  I think she also noted Sir Osmond’s words, for when she finished, the Saint let out an exhausted sigh.

 

“What happened, Maddie?” Lily asked, quite alarmed.

 

“The letter is from the Crown Prince of Amaranth, David Henry von Albert II.  He’s asking for my help in mediating in the tensions between his supporters and the nobility, led by the Duke of Braunhauer.”

 

Ha?  But what about the messenger?  Why was he killed?”

 

“Perhaps someone from that kingdom doesn’t want the conflict to be resolved without the other side going down through the force of arms.”

 

“War, is it?”

 

The Saint only nodded for her answer.

 

Hearing those words made my spine shiver.  Maddie worked so hard to bring forth peace to this world and even suffered trying to keep it up, and in one fell swoop, her efforts were about to go for naught.

 

A heavy silence filled the room.  Sir Osmond and I kept on eating the food set before us, as Maddie and Lily were quietly weighing on their options.  And if I remembered right, that young maid, Eris, was a member of the Braunhauer ducal house, while the kitchen’s head maid, Jessica, was a von Albert princess…

 

Oh boy…this isn’t looking good at all.

 

“Alright!” I heard Maddie clap her hands, as if she already reached a decision, “Please summon Jessica and Eris here.  I’d like to discuss this situation with them.  We’ll set for Amaranth first thing upon waking up.”

 

 

The kitchen head maid, Jessica von Albert, and the young servant, Eris Braunhauer, appeared before the Saint once Sir Osmond left.

 

“Hello, Your Holiness!” Jessica curtsied, “Is there anything that you need from your humble servants?”

 

Eris, though she didn’t speak, followed Jessica’s cue.

 

“Well, Princess Jessica…” Maddie brought out the letter she received, “…it’s about this.  It’s a letter from your brother, Crown Prince David.  You ought to read that.”

 

“Oh?”

 

“He’s asking for my presence there in Amaranth, and help in negotiating with the nobles.”

 

Jessica was silent as she read the contents of the letter.  And then she closed her eyes as she folded and gave it back to Maddie.

 

“I’d like to ask some questions about the situation there if you have any knowledge about it.” Her Holiness explained, “As you may have guessed, we’re trying to prevent the full escalation of hostilities.”

 

Jessica kept a straight face as she answered, “I’d tell everything that could help to the best of my ability, Your Holiness.”

 

Eris looked awfully clueless about what was happening.  Well, I couldn’t blame her, she’s technically a kid.

 

 

The questions that Maddie asked Jessica were simple yet gave us an idea of what we’re about to deal with once we crossed the borders of Amaranth.  I suggested it to her, to gather ‘intelligence’ from the Amaranthine princess so that we could decide and act accordingly.

 

She began asking the kitchen head maid questions we planned to ask before Jessica and Eris came, at which the royal princess answered honestly.  

 

“…”

 

Well, it’s a good thing to know that Maddie could read minds.  And I’m sure Jessica knew by now that the Saint could do that whenever she wished, though the kitchen head maid learned it the hard way.  

 

No lie can go past that ability!

 

“Your Holiness, as far as I know, the nobles are crying out about the alleged ‘abuses’ being committed by my brother, the crown prince.  They do not want him to our kingdom’s throne before; and now that our father is old and weak, they try to grab the opportunity to force their will on our rule.”

 

“Which abuses are these?”

 

There’s an uncomfortable look on Jessica’s face, and knowing that she couldn’t lie nor hide the truth, she took a pause first, and continued, “Your Holiness, I believe this is because of the ‘Holy Will’ accorded to us by the past saints.”

 

“What do you mean by that?”

 

Uhh…well, my brother the crown prince would like to press his rightful claims over these rebellious nobles.” Jessica explained, “They see themselves as the protectors of our realm and subjects, and yet, they do not want to submit to our rule!”

 

There was something about how the kitchen head maid was telling us the situation from their side’s perspective.  I could tell that she’s deliberately hiding something—based on her ‘safe’ answers, lest Maddie could read that she did not know with the circumstances of the brewing conflict in Amaranth.

 

Well, if the latter is true, it’s expected.  Jessica mostly spends her time at the holy kitchen, and would only seldom take a leave to visit her country.

 

I threw a glance at Maddie, who also cast a short stare at me.  Her sarcastic eyes had that ‘this girl doesn’t know a thing’ feel to them.

 

“…”

 

And then, she asked Eris, who was—up ‘till then, had been standing idly looking around.

 

“Duchess Braunhauer?”

 

“Y-Yes Your Holiness?”

 

“Well, I’d like you to answer a few questions.” Maddie began, “How’s your father?”

 

Uhh…h-he’s fine, Your Holiness,” Eris answered.

 

“Good to hear that.  Now then, do you know his complaints against the crown prince David of Amaranth?”

 

Eris’ expression was that of bewilderment once the Saint put up that question on her.  I half-expected this; Eris was way too young for her tender mind to be involved in such matters.

 

“Y-Your Holiness…” Eris was uncomfortable, “Eris doesn’t know much…”

 

Ah, it’s obvious…

 

“B-But, if she remembers it right, t-the nobility of Amaranth is crying out against the abuses of the prince, particularly, his arbitrary rule.  Our King William is old and is well-advanced in his age; his son and heir now govern in his stead, and according to my father, it’s not a wonderful experience.”

 

Well, my bad.  Eris knew what’s happening.

 

“Can you elaborate further in these abuses you speak of?”

 

Uhm…the crown prince always forces himself on the nobility, like for whenever his court arrives at a noble’s fief, he’d demand the best and finest accommodation—complete with musicians and women.  All of those would be shouldered by the lord of the land, who would pass it on to his subjects.”

 

Hmm…though it sounds ugly, a situation like this was common in the middle ages of Europe.  A monarch would travel with his court, instead of ruling in the national capital.  The reason was that, so he could govern his subjects well—it’s one solution to the primitive communications system of the time.  But for the European kings, they had a manor built for every ‘leg’ of the journey, instead of relying on the hospitality of the local lord.

 

“Hey!” it was Jessica, who couldn’t bear to listen to Eris’ words.  She lashed at the young girl with, “Isn’t that part of your father’s responsibilities as the lord of the land?  You lot should even be thankful that we visit your fiefs to pass sound judgment whenever it is necessary!”

 

“Please keep your words to yourself, Amaranthine princess!” Lily intervened for Maddie, “The ball is not in your court just yet.  Wait properly until Her Holiness goes back to you!”

 

“M-My apologies…” the displeasure was clear on Jessica’s face, yet she had to give way.  She gave her reverent bow and backed down.

 

Ha!  Serves you right, bitch!

 

Maddie motioned for a surprised Eris to continue speaking.

 

“A-Another is that the crown prince always invokes his ‘right of the first night’.  He is mostly reviled by the common people for this, Your Holiness.”

 

The ‘right of the first night’.  Up ‘till I was summoned here, it had been at the back of my head.  Basically, it’s still a highly debated custom or myth—depending on which source one had read—of a lord’s ‘right’ for a girl’s ‘first night’ as a married woman.  Yes, it’s a sexual matter, and ostensibly a form of ‘payment’ for her leaving his fief, it took many forms in Earth’s ancient history…

 

But here, I didn’t know it existed until Eris said it is so.  Well, that’s the medieval society for you…

 

“Hmm…” Maddie was brooding over the information she learned.  I could tell that she wanted to ask Jessica about this but was having her second thoughts because the kitchen head maid was utterly clueless.

 

Ah, those abuses that Eris mentioned were indeed bad—relative to modern values of Earth, and looked upon with disdain in this contemporary setting.  But well, I guess that’s a typical behavior expected from a pampered royalty.  While we could help with the negotiations, I believed it shouldn’t be a cause for war…

 

Oh, and Your Holiness, Eris would also like to add…” the young maid spoke once again, “Other nobles are mad with the crown prince for forcing his personal preferences on them, especially regarding food.”

 

“Hoh?  Such as?”

 

“Well, the crown prince would always want his cookies to have raisins.  And so, he’s forcing everyone else in the kingdom to make and eat raisin cookies.”

 

What the fuck—

 

If that prince would force me to eat that, then I’d lead the war myself!  After all, raisin cookies are the devil’s work!

 
 

 

 

2