CHAPTER 5 – II –
44 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 5 - II -

 

It didn’t take long after we ended our talk that we arrived at the gates of the royal castle.  Since it was Jessica, we just passed by the entrance, saluted by the sentries.  Then we alighted the horse upon reaching the castle keep’s maid doorway.

 

Oh!  Hello there, Your Highness!” a maidservant greeted us while she was cleaning the furnishings in the main lobby.

 

“Tatiana, can I take some ingredients to the kitchen?  I wanted Her Holiness’ food to be as fresh as possible.”

 

“Sure, Your Highness!  This way, please!” the maid gladly showed Jessica the direction to take.

 

“Oh, and uh, while I’m in the kitchen, could you please bring Sir Kuro to my brother?  He has something urgent to discuss.”

 

“Yes, Your Highness!  But will you be alright?”

 

Hah!  I’ve been doing this ever since I got into the Holy Palatial Gardens!”  Jessica fixed her apron and continued her way.

 

The maid, Tatiana, was left with me.  And, well, I think she didn’t like me at all.

 

“Heh, acting all high and mighty, huh?” I heard her murmur before she spoke to me in a prim and proper manner, “Sir Kuro, please, head this way.”

 

“T-Thank you.” I decided never to take notice of her sentiments.

 

 

Miss Tatiana led me to a labyrinth of halls that comprised the interior of the Amaranthine royal castle.  It’s confusing, so I didn’t bother to remember which way I came.  And then, just as when I was about to wonder if the maid was just trying to make me lose my way, she stopped before a huge, wooden door.

 

“His Highness is inside.  Please pay your respects properly.” she reminded me.

 

“Thanks, Miss Tatiana.”

 

The maid then bowed and opened the door for me.  Judging from the place where the prince was staying, I think this was his private study.

 

“Oh!  If it isn’t you, Sir Kuro!” the crown prince greeted me with a smile on his face.

 

“Hello, Your Highness!” I bowed respectfully before continuing, “I came here to discuss something about what we’ve talked about earlier.”

 

“Ah!  Is it my sister’s engagement with you?”

 

I was unnerved because he knew what I had in mind.

 

“Don’t worry, I’m not like Her Holiness, who can really read thoughts.  I only said that based on my hunches; I mean, we already ironed out the details of your suggestions, so I don’t think we should go over that, once again.  So, I thought, you might want to talk about the engagement.” the prince laughed, “Anyway, I stand by my words, Sir Kuro.  I’d like to add people of talent and wisdom to my kingdom’s court, and fortunately, you fill the requirements.  I’m sure it’s something you can’t refuse.”

 

Hoh…this was quite bad.  I think I should double my guard when talking to the crown prince; he’s not some typical bumbling royal, “Well, Sir, I came here to say that I politely refuse your proposal.”

 

The crown prince was silent, but there’s nothing unusual on his expression other than indifference.

 

I could feel the atmosphere between us rapidly became awkward.

 

“Sir Kuro, you sure surprised me.”

 

Well, if you’re surprised, then act like one.

 

“Is there anything you dislike about my sister?”

 

Err…it’s not like that, Your Highness.”

 

“Well, I am aware of little Jessica’s flaws.  She’s got a bad-mouth, and she’s quite lacking in brai—”

 

“Your Highness!” I couldn’t help myself but slam my hands on the table before him, “I believe I said nothing bad about your sister.  The princess is a faithful servant of Her Holiness the Saint, and her talents lie in her cooking!  Have you ever tasted her food?”

 

“…”

 

For the first time since I entered his study, the prince was taken aback by my actions.  He quickly diverted the direction of our conversation.

 

“I-I’m sorry for my rash actions, Your Highness.”

 

“Apology accepted.” the prince then went back on his business-like mode, “So, what made you refuse my offer?”

 

“Your Highness, I believe Her Holiness the Saint has told you I came from a faraway country.  And in my land, our values there resemble that of the elves; we only take one woman as our wife.”

 

“So, you refuse based on your values, or do you have a person you fancy?”

 

“I’m single, Your Highness.” I purposefully told him that lie since we agreed before that we’d keep my relationship with Maddie a secret, for now, to avoid jeopardizing negotiations, “I humbly admit that your sister is beautiful, and her talents could make any man fall for her.  But I sincerely believe that she has more potential than herself for now, and she could be a good wife for a great man.  That man is not me.”

 

“The way you say it makes you look like a weak, irresponsible person.”

 

“That’s the real me, Your Highness.  I don’t deny my weaknesses.”

 

“Well, I beg to differ.” there was a nasty smirk on the crown prince’s face, “Do you think I have done no research on you before you came back here?  You sure surprised us with your words back then, a lot of my supporters became interested in you.”

 

Hearing that from him was giving me the shivers.  It’s not that nice to know that people were watching your every move…

 

“Sir Kuro, the more you devalue yourself, the more value we see in you.  You see, you really are telling the truth when you say you’re from a faraway country…Chersea’s men filled their hearts and lips with false humility after all, if you get what I mean.”

 

Damn…why am I the one being forced into a corner in this talk?  I need to counter him.

 

“And, hearing your sentiments towards my sister makes me want more to wed her to you.  Let it be known to you; you’re the only man I’ve seen to have refused such an offer, no less than from a royal person such as myself.  So, in contrast to your admirable modesty, I’ll be bold.  I know she’ll be in excellent hands, for you’ll be a great man in the future.”

 

And now, he’s attacking with praises.

 

“Okay, Your Highness.  I get your point.” I agreed with him, “You wanted your sister to have a good life as a married woman, while having someone of wisdom in your court as well.”

 

“Yep.  Though I may be the crown prince, I’m still my sister’s brother, and as a man, I wouldn’t want her to end up with a bad husband.”

 

You’re pretty calculating as well, Your Highness.  I couldn’t lose to him!  “Then how about this?  Since you won’t be willing to give up your proposal, while I won’t also back down in my beliefs, let’s agree on a middle ground.”

 

“What do you suggest then?”

 

“Why don’t I safe-keep your sister for now while she hasn’t met someone who catches her eye?  And I mean, her own eyes.” I further explained, “You see, Your Highness, I’m not in favor of political marriages, so if possible since you’re aiming for me at your court, I’d want her to live her life as free as possible.”

 

“Are you telling me to let Jessica be the one who’d determine her own future?”

 

“Precisely, Your Highness.  It’s not that I hate the princess.  Like you, I only want what’s best for her, that’s why I’m talking here before you.  And as a return for that leniency, you could always ask me for advice anytime; I’d be more than glad to help.”

 

“Well, that’s a good proposal worthy of consideration.  Personally, I’d like that to happen to Jessica as well, but our parents, the King and his First Queen were traditionalists who believe ‘less-worthy’ children are good for political marriages.” the prince finally agreed, “But I’d like to add another condition in your plan.  If my little sister didn’t find a man who’s better than you, then you’ll marry her.”

 

Heh, I’d like to see that happen though.  I didn’t hate the kitchen princess now, unlike before when we first met, but now that she had free-rein, she could choose a better person.  And I am Maddie’s lover; my priority was my fiancée.

 

Nevertheless, I’d conform for now.  After all, the keys to a successful negotiation were to make the other side think that you’re also for their interest, while you subtly inject your own terms, “Then I suppose our deal is sealed?”

 

“Nice.” the prince then offered his hand for a shake which I took, “I look forward to working with you, brother-in-law.”

 
 

 

 

1