Chapter 1204
470 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So, it’s Dioshin that you’re heading toward.” Pait stroked the mug.

Since I had run into him, I didn’t want to just take off. At the very least, I decided to explain my predicament. After all, Pait was from Esmore, a different country to the south. They border Dioshin as well, and unlike us, they are on talking terms with the country. At the very least, he may have some information on the country. I had intended to talk to Figuro, but Pait was a good person to speak to as well. I was glad that I had run into him by chance.

The pair of us had gone to a local bar. It was in the upper area of town, so while the drinks were expensive, it was also very quiet and clean. It was easy to get a place where you could discuss things in quiet. It was a common location where trade deals and political treaties were discussed. We each had a cup of wine while we spoke. I had gotten Celeste a mug as well, and she now sat on the rim of the glass, occasionally leaning in to sip. She let out a burp, her face completely red.

“I have a Slave Guild friend. He’s the original one who bought her. I never really understood how that worked. From my understanding, the Dioshin hate slavers, so why do they work with a human? How is the Slaver’s Guild even able to get into Dioshin?”

Pait raised an eyebrow. “Oh, you haven’t heard?”

“Heard what?”

“The Slaver’s Guild started in Dioshin.”

“What? Really?” I couldn’t help but be surprised.

“As a people, the Dioshin were always broken into warring tribes. Their entire culture is based on the idea of dominance and submissiveness. Certain tribes are in power, while other tribes are the workhorses. The power dynamics in Dioshin are awful.”

“I didn’t know… I always thought they were pretty united given their resistance toward Aberis.”

“Oh, it’s true… their fear of outsiders is what keeps them all together, but the country of Dioshin is extremely segregated. Kin remains with kin, and cross-animalkin breeding is considered taboo. This is why you don’t see half-dogkin, half-catkin, or something like that. Other than variant animalkin, their lines are completely pure.”

My only experience with animalkin had been Chalm. I guessed that in my mind, Dioshin was a diverse place where animalkin of all kinds worked together much like my city. It had been their distaste for slavery that had bound the citizens of Chalm. In theory, once they were free, they could have gotten back into Dioshin. I had never asked too directly about such things, as some wounds were difficult to dig up, but it seemed like there was a reason they chose the wilderness. I was starting to understand a bit more about my people now.

“So, Slavers are favored in Dioshin?”

“Among the people, no. Among the elites? Of course.” He shrugged. “It’s politics, boy. The elites line their pockets with gold and have a means of eliminating undesirables and rivals. Then, they create an enemy out of Aberis to spread fear and control the population. They exploit their citizens for their own gain.”

I nodded my head. I wanted to condemn them, but even on Earth, I couldn’t say things were any better. Those with power would always use that power to their advantage. It seemed like the slavery of this world was a complex subject. Pait was watching me carefully as he took a sip from his mug. Finally, he slammed it down.

“Alright, you’ve convinced me.”

“Huh? What’s that?” I was caught off guard by the conviction in Pait’s voice.

“I will help you get into Dioshin.”

 

Announcement
9