Chapter 1231
409 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I’m well aware of your country’s political structure.” Pait spoke up. “I also know about the difficulties you’ve been experiencing between warring tribes. How does that lead to deaths we witnessed?”

Although Pait spoke up, I wasn’t used to talking about Dioshin’s situation, so I appreciated a little backstory. I did realize he was beating around the bush though. He could only talk about things we already knew. If he gave away country secrets to a rival nation, it’d be bad. It was one thing to be talking to Esmore about it, but if he knew there was someone from Aberis present, it’d be even worse.

“At first, the catkin tribe didn’t take them very seriously. However, what the rabbitkin lack in strength, they make up for in numbers. The catkin had managed to remain in power as opposed to the beastkin or bearkin exactly because of their mixture between population and power. There are a lot of catkin, and the occasional lionkin, tigerkin, pantherkin, or cheetahkin variant ensures that their tribe remains at the peak of power.

“The rabbitkin don’t have any particularly impressive variants. They have the occasional bunnykin, but they are renowned for being cute. However, they made up for it with numbers. There have been several scuffles, but it’s becoming clear that the catkin has the rabbitkin beat, even with their recent alliances. That’s when the resistance came up with a new strategy. They sought out the foxkin.”

When he said those words, Lord Duran shook slightly, making a whining sound under his breath as if the very mention of foxes was offensive. I frowned, but I managed to keep the anger from appearing on my face. Miki was a foxkin, so this was where she might be involved with all of this.

“As you may know, foxkin have a variant with spiritual tails. They can connect with the other side. They bring about ghost monsters, and in general, are a creepy breed. Many species had wanted the foxkin wiped out. Their abilities are too dangerous and they mess with the natural order of this world. However, the catkin has always played guardian over the foxkin, protecting them and keeping them safe.”

Pait raised an eyebrow. “Then why would the rabbitkin expect the foxkin to assist them?”

“Why, indeed?” Lord Duran nodded. “Their betrayal has been especially shocking. However, the results have been clear.”

“The results?”

“You saw it yourself, didn’t you? A city of the dead, with their souls sucked out. It hasn’t started attacking the larger cities yet, those with a significant military presence and walls, thankfully, but it is only a matter of time. It’s been taking out village after village. Every day, I learn of another village that has been wiped out through the night.”

“It?”

“A monster… some kind of soul-sucking creature. The foxkin somehow summoned it, and now it’s going on a rampage.”

“Shouldn’t it be attacking the catkin, if their problem is with them?”

“Should…” He sighed. “That’s the problem with releasing your ultimate weapon… once it is out, you can no longer decide what it destroys. Just as many rabbitkin villages have been destroyed as anything else.”

“This monster, what is it?” Pait asked.

“No one knows. At least, no one from my tribe. I’m only getting involved because, as you see, my tribe is starting to get attacked. It’s never been seen by a survivor. I’ve only heard the name people call it.”

“What is the name?”

“Death.”

 

Announcement
14