8. Counterpoint
126 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the last notes of the melody faded away like a plaintive sigh, Li Siyan rose to her feet and made a deep bow.

"Marvelous," the empress dowager murmured after a spell. "Simply marvelous."

"Siyan is honored by Esteemed Empress Dowager's words," Li Siyan's smile took on a vaguely smug air as she bowed again.

"Tales of your talent were not mere idle words! Li Siyan, you have made a favorable impression tonight," the empress dowager nodded with a pleased smile.

Ever eager to please, Li Siyan elegantly fell to her knees. "It was Siyan's fortune to regale Esteemed Empress Dowager and company with my coarse skills."

Mei Yanran sat chewing on a pastry as she watched the show. From what she recalled, Li Siyan's song had made a favorable impression because it reminded the empress dowager of her youth. Which woman didn't like to think nostalgically of the past after reaching old age?

But, she reminded herself with a grin, The best show is still coming up. 

Li Siyan was one of the last girls to showcase her musical talent. When she moved to leave the stage, Wei Wanru was just coming up---carrying an old zither in her arms. As Mei Yanran watched, Li Siyan made a subtle 'stumble' and knocked right into the other girl, nearly causing her to drop her instrument.

If she remembered correctly, this was the moment in the novel where Wei Wanru had cut her fingers against the strings because of the hit. 

"Oh! My apologies, I didn't see you," Li Siyan murmured, before adopting an expression of surprise. "Ah---Wei Wanru?"

"Miss Li," Wei Wanru bowed slightly, the minute creasing of her brows the only sign that she'd cut her hands.

"Goodness, where are your servants at a time like this? Why are you carrying your own instrument?" Li Siyan tsked. Her voice was low but clear as a bell---just the right amount of volume to attract attention from the surrounding officials.

"It isn't much weight," Wei Wanru replied simply. "I can manage on my own."

Not that Li Siyan gave her any choice, Mei Yanran bit forcefully through another pastry. First you hid Wei Wanru's original zither, then had your men attack the servant bringing her second. If the female lead's second cousin hadn't shown up in time to intercept them, she wouldn't have an instrument at all! 

While not life-threatening, it would've been a humiliating experience for the Wei Clan to ask the palace to provide a replacement of their own for the competition. 

"Is that so? I suppose every musician knows her instrument best," Li Siyan nodded curtly, and was about to brush on by when her eyes flickered to Wei Wanru's zither. "Oh! Well, what have we here?"

By now, their conversation had attracted more eyes and ears. A few hushed whispers broke out amongst the gathered officials. The emperor and empress dowager, however, had yet to notice, being too busy enjoying an embroidered fan done by another talented entrant.

"Wei Wanru, you're not really expecting to perform with an instrument like that, are you?" Li Siyan rested her hand against Wei Wanru's zither, observing its faded wood and aged body. "Something like this---I've seen better at the local teahouses that put on plays!"

There were ladies who played music, and then there were those who played to make a living. Li Siyan was making a snub at Wei Wanru by coming her to a common entertainer of the streets.

"I wouldn't know myself, Miss Li, as I don't frequent such establishments," Wei Wanru smiled back. Her implied insult was that it took one know one, clearly marking Li Siyan as one who frequented lowbrow establishments.

Li Siyan's nostrils flared. She was about to retort when the old eunuch in charge of overseeing the competition approached them both.

"What is it, what's all the fuss?" the old eunuch looked at them in disapproval. "Miss Li, your performance is already over. Miss Wei, you'll need to take the stage soon. Why are both of you dawdling about?"

Seizing the chance, Li Siyan gestured to Wei Wanru's zither with a huff. "Eunuch Luo (洛公公), how is this hardly an instrument fit for His Majesty and Esteemed Empress Dowager? It's nothing but a cheap block of wood!"

Eunuch Luo leaned forward and frowned as he observed the well-worn state of Wei Wanru's instrument. "Appearance and deportment applies to both the lady and her instrument. What do you mean by bringing this shabby example, Miss Wei?"

Wei Wanru remained calm. "This too, is part of my performance, Eunuch Luo.

"Ridiculous!" Li Siyan sniffed. "If you're too poor to afford a proper zither, you shouldn't make up excuses for yourself. Such an unsightly thing is simply disrespect to His Majesty and Esteemed Empress Dowager!"

"Is a song only defined by its notes on paper?" Wei Wanru raised her voice, her tone even and serene. "Will a musician be judged by the quality of her instrument, before she ever gives it a chance to sing? You are a talented player yourself, Miss Li, so I had hoped you'd show insight. Such rash assumptions are unbecoming for any zither player."

Mei Yanran's grin widened as she watched Li Siyan sputter. Before the girl could retort, Eunuch Luo cut in. "Well spoken, Miss Wei. If talent was only skin deep, there would hardly be a need to distinguish between our contestants. We could simply have everyone play an ensemble and entertain His Majesty that way."

"Well, I still find it hardly appropriate that---"

"And may I remind you that it will be Esteemed Empress Dowager judging the contestants," Eunuch Luo bowed towards Li Siyan, a clear signal for her to stop. "We shouldn't keep her waiting."

His tone gave her no room for retort, leaving Li Siyan to shoot Wei Wanru a glare before storming off to her seats. Wei Wanru looked after her for a moment, before turning to Eunuch Luo.

"Eunuch Luo..." she began with a bow, but the old man only waved a hand.

"Don't disappoint the empress dowager now," he smiled. Wei Wanru managed a smile back.

Her shoddy zither was the one she'd used when she first started to play. It wasn't terrible by all means---simply plainer than many of the other instruments that had their turn to shine in the palace. But curiously enough, the simplicity of the zither only served to highlight the female lead's lovely features and her exquisite dress as she paid her respects to the empress dowager and emperor. 

Nobody helped Wei Wanru place the zither on the table, or offered her a cloth for her cut fingers. From her spot in the palace, Mei Yanran couldn't even tell she was bleeding, but she knew it had to hurt. Despite this, Wei Wanru's expression was completely calm. She carefully bent over her zither to check the instrument one last time, using the chance to wipe her hand inconspicuously with a cloth. 

Remaining poised was the goal. Imperfection, at a time like this, would only speak of weakness. Wei Wanru's reprieve was brief; it wasn't long before she had sat back with her fingers hovering over the strings.

Drip.

A single drop of blood hit the surface of the wood, and then she began.

2