13. One Wish Again
143 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.



Mei Yanran was still staring into space when her mother grasped her by the hand.

"Yan'er," she pressed, "Hurry and go! Don't keep the empress dowager waiting."

Still mute, Mei Yanran stumbled to her feet and managed to make a bow in the direction of the throne. Then she half ran, half stumbled her way towards the stage. 

"E...Esteemed Empress Dowager," she managed to stammer out as she paid obeisance to the old woman on the throne. "Your Majesty. Esteemed Empress and...Your Highnesses."

The empress dowager sat back, satisfied. "This Dowager didn't get to say it then, so I'll say it now. Mei Yanran, you have exemplified both talent and breeding in this year's contest. Our Great Chu is a progressive state, but we put much stock in our values as well. The virtues of home and hearth both the hallowed realm of our women, and the peaceful homes where girls can set their hearts at rest."

What is she talking about? Mei Yanran puzzled as she kept her head low. My dance was about a rich girl hanging out in her room. There was feminine grace, yes; she could accept subtle yearning and idle daydreams as well. But the empress dowager was really making a stretch with her claims!

"You have earned your victory tonight," the empress dowager finished with a smile. "Now, what will be your wish, child?"

My wish? Of course it's to marry Ling Fengxiao!

The thought came to Mei Yanran as quickly as she dismissed it. After all that rambling about 'womanly virtues' and 'hearts at rest,' she didn't think the empress dowager would take kindly to a girl suddenly proposing out of thin air. 

But it's not impossible. I have to be vague about it...and maybe start waaay back. Like, quarter of way to first base back.

Mei Yanran cleared her throat to buy herself precious seconds, before rambling on, "My heart is honored by Esteemed Empress Dowager's supreme grace. Yanran is but clumsy and lacking, still learning the ways of our capital's virtuous women."

"Ah yes," the empress dowager nodded. "Your father was only recently promoted to court, correct?"

"Yes, Esteemed Empress Dowager."

"And how are you finding the capital now?" 

"Oh, it's wonderful, Esteemed Empress Dowager. In fact---" Mei Yanran seized the chance to shift the topic, "Yanran has heard stories that the country's finest plum blossom orchard is right on the outskirts of Yan Capital!"

The empress dowager chuckled. "Have you now? Well, it's no surprise that you would've have noticed. Mei Yanran, 'plum blossom' and a 'charming smile.' Child, you have a lovely name."

Mei Yanran smiled right on cue. "Many thanks to Esteemed Empress Dowager. Is it true that such a place exists?"

A distant part of her was screaming at how things were not following the plot, but most of her was keying up for her next big step. Because---because here was a perfect chance to speed up her romance plans!

"Empress, what say you?" the empress dowager turned to her daughter-in-law with an affectionate smile. "You are the one well-versed in such things."

"Dear imperial mother, this daughter only knows of one place that could be possible," the empress replied placidly. "And that is the Winterflower Woods bordering fourth rank Official Ling's estate beyond the eastern gates of the city. However, as Official Ling owns the woods, few outside the imperial clan have ever seen it for themselves."

"Esteemed Empress Dowager!" Mei Yanran continued with a heartfelt kowtow, "Yanran spent most of her life living outside the capital, but has always admired the plum blossoms for their adversity in winter. Yanran believes that they represent the spirit of our northern country best of all!"

"Worthy words," the empress dowager murmured.

"Thus, it is Yanran's wish to be allowed to see those plum blossoms for myself! If Official Ling's permission is needed, then please grant him leave to escort me as well!"

There it was. Using the fact that Ling Fengxiao had built his estate right next to his favorite flowers, Mei Yanran was shamelessly borrowing the empress dowager's authority to come barging into his house. But of course, she wasn't done yet.

"Yanran believes that just as today's dance extolled the virtues of a women, a dance based on the plum blossoms will praise the virtues of our nation as well. It is Yanran's sincere hope that I will be able to gift Esteemed Empress Dowager a new dance when the Snow Festival comes again!"

The empress dowager was pleased. Naturally, she had other, more calculated reasons for choosing Mei Yanran as the winner, but she would never refuse a free gift like this. Really, it was an exquisite performance.

"This Dowager shall certainly like to see that!" Caught up in her enthusiasm, the empress dowager set down a decree right then and there, "Official of the Fourth Rank, Ling Fengxiao! Rise and heed this Dowager!"

From his table, Ling Fengxiao smoothly rose to his feet like liquid ink and cupped his hands before his chest. "Esteemed Empress Dowager, this subject awaits your words." Though his expression was politely neutral, his eyes lingered on Mei Yanran with a searching glance.

"Very well! This Dowager decrees that this girl, Mei Yanran, has free rein to wander about the Winterflower Woods. You will accompany her as she sees fit until the plum blossoms finish blooming!"

Ling Fengxiao didn't hesitate to accept the command. "This subject obeys!"

"Eternal blessings and thanks to Esteemed Empress Dowager!" Mei Yanran hastened to speak.

"Yes, child, this Dowager shall accept them both," the empress dowager smiled upon her in turn.

Thrilled with her success (this was much, much more than she'd hoped for...!), Mei Yanran bowed a few more times before being dismissed to her seat.

--

When Ling Fengxiao sat back down, the first thing he did was to signal for Chang Yin, who leaned in close.

"Yes, master."

"I've changed my mind," Ling Fengxiao murmured, "We're going to look into that girl after all. Detain her dancers and musicians, arrange for a meeting with them by tomorrow. Do a thorough investigation of Mei Yanran's hometown as well."

"Yes, master!" Chang Yin assented before slipping away.

Ling Fengxiao fiddled with the empty winecup in his hands, too distracted to drink. It'd come as quite a shock to him when the girl had started dancing to such a familiar tune. He hadn't heard that melody since his mother was still alive. That, and the fact that the girl had somehow wished to visit his land of all things for her wish only put him more on guard.

He couldn't help but feel like he was being targeted in some way...

3