Chapter 3 — Unchained
2.3k 28 73
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two small hands held the sides of a comic book that covered the child's face. It wasn't the child that I was stunned by, but the comic book they held.

⌈ Isn't that... No, it's similar, but it isn't the same⌋

The cover of the comic book looked frighteningly similar to the cover of the novel I read before dying. The one where I didn't get to finish the ending as the author never released the final chapter. 

When I returned to my senses I realized that the child inside the cupboard was shaking, but held eye contact with me. 

⌈Sorry, little one. I don't want to hurt you, stay here and you should be safe for...⌋ 

I had forgotten that I was an alien now, so my words came out as hissing. However, as I was closing the cupboard door, the child spoke up.

"W-was that you talking mister alien?" 

Once again, I was stunned and stopped my hand that was closing the cupboard door. I slowly opened it again and hesitantly replied.

⌈Can you... Hear me?⌋

The child was a little frightened by my appearance as she recoiled back behind her comic book. She slowly nodded to me and peeked behind to see if I was still there, which I was.

⌈This is... What's your name? Where are your parents?⌋

". . ." 

It seemed as she was still too scared to properly respond to me, so I left the cupboard open and hid behind the door, out of her view, before sitting on the floor staring vacantly at the door.

"I... My name is Tanya. I don't have a daddy, and my mommy is working"

⌈I see. Are you afraid of me?⌋

"Uhm... A little bit. But you seem like a nice alien, like the book I read. Are you a nice alien, mister alien?"

I couldn't reply to her question, since I was still unsure if I was. I helped release my brothers and sisters, who in turn attacked other humans. Does that mean I'm bad? 

⌈I helped my brothers and sisters escape, so I don't know. But I won't hurt you, or anyone else. I don't think I'm a nice person, but I at least know that I'm not a bad person⌋

By the time I had finished my sentence, the little girl Tanya had left the cupboard and was sitting a little away from me, glancing at me occasionally. 

"I think you're a nice alien, otherwise you would have eaten me"

⌈. . .⌋

I chuckled a little at her words and swayed my tail side to side.

"Did I make you happy mister alien?"

⌈Yes, a little. Thank you, Tanya⌋

"It's okay. Does mister alien have a name?"

⌈I... Think I did. But, I don't remember. The scientists call me Specimen Four⌋

"Spesha... Can I give you a name mister alien?"

⌈You want to give me a name?⌋

"Yes!"

⌈Well, okay. What name do you have for me?⌋

"Hmmm. Are you really a mister?"

⌈I don't know. I don't think it matters though. But, I think I'm a girl?⌋

"A girl? Then how about... Raya! It means friend"

⌈Friend? I like it, thank you Tanya-⌋

Just when I was about to look at her to properly thank her, I was suddenly hugged by her tiny body. Despite her subtle shaking, she continued to hug me tightly. I didn't know how to react, but subconsciously I wrapped my tail around her.

*Gunshots and explosions*

*Beep, psshh, click*

The door on the other end of the room opened suddenly and closed just as quickly as it opened with two soldiers panting out of breath. However, when they wanted to take a breather, they saw an alien who had 'captured' a child.

"Tanya!! Let go of her, you bastard!!" 

The enraged man brought his pulse rifle up and pointed it at me, but before he could fire, he saw as his daughter, Tanya, stepped in front of me with her arms outstretched, shielding me.

"U-uncle! Raya isn't a bad alien!"

Stunned.

We all were.

I had already fallen on all fours and was ready to escape through the vents, but when I heard her speaking up and defending me, I froze and stared at the two men aiming their rifles at me with complicated expressions.

"Tanya? What do you mean? Do you know what that thing is? It's a fucking monster! It and all of its kind are cold ruthless killing machines, just look at what they've done to the facility in less than 20 minutes!"

"No! I don't care! Raya is my friend!"

Honestly, I was touched. Such a small child held so much courage inside of that tiny body. Yet, here I am cowering in a room like a coward...

"God damnit... Tanya, you're too naive! That monster will kill us and you, it doesn't care about your little friendship-"

"Shut up! Raya won't hurt me, Raya said so, Raya is a kind alien, just like in the book"

"Your book is complete bullshit! You don't understand what we've just witnessed, Tanya. Come over to us, and get away from that monster NOW!"

"NO!"

"Tanya, stop being disobedient! Do you know what happened to your father? That monster right there killed him!"

"I..."

"That monster really will kill you! It'll kill me, it'll kill your uncle, it'll kill everyone here, and its brethren probably has already killed your mother!!"

"*Sniff* wuuu... Stop it..."

*Thud*

I really couldn't stand it. 

Hearing this man spouting such awful things to a child infuriated me, and a burning desire to kill arose from within my chest.

I stood tall, standing at around 2.2 meters, taller than both of the men. Saliva dripped from my mouth as I bared my fangs at them, hissing a low growl. 

"See Tanya!! Fuck, you'll just have to die with it!!!"

*BRATATATATATATA*

"R-raya, I'm scared..."

⌈Its okay Tanya, I'm very thankful that you stood up for me, and protected me from those... Monsters. Just close your eyes and cover your ears. Don't come out until I say so⌋

"Wuuu... *Sniff* I'm sorry Raya, please don't get hurt..."

⌈Dont worry, I'll come back and I'll protect you safe from all monsters⌋

"Okay..."

*Click*

Thankfully, we were quite a distance from each other with many tables and obstacles in the way. This provided a cover for me from their barrage of bullets while I put Tanya back inside the cupboard. 

Something inside of me had been unshackled by whatever I had been keeping chained up. Whether it was a good thing or not, I didn't know, but I couldn't think about it right now because of my situation.

I turned around and hissed angrily at the two humans who were now reloading their rifles, keeping an eye on my whereabouts. Thus, I took this moment to destroy the control panel a few meters away from me, disabling the lights inside the room. 

And then I started hunting my prey.

73