Ch.6 – Learning the language
2.6k 16 101
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I have been in this place for almost three weeks now, and the only thing I can understand is my name. Time to pay more attention to stuff.

The only people that have come to my bedroom are my mom, who is almost always here, my dad who comes by every morning, my brother who comes by during the evening and the maid who is always by my side. Their conversations always seem to revolve around me. Except when it is only mom and the maid.

They seem to talk about a lot of stuff. I should listen to their conversations…

It has been a few weeks since I started to pay attention to people’s conversations, but the only thing I can understand is basic stuff like “hello”, “yes” and “no”. I am working on it, but my methods don’t seem to be working that well…

After a while I lost track of the days, mainly because I mostly sleep all day, but I feel like a few months have passed, mainly because I learned a little bit more of the language and I can move my muscles a lot more, I am getting close to being able to crawl, but I still can’t talk, all I say I can manage is baby noises, but that is enough for now.

Today when my mom put me on her lap this morning, she seemed more excited than normal, I was the same as usual, getting ready to receive mom’s affection.

Suddenly dad came into the room with something on his hand, it was a long and thin rectangular object with a leather cover, it was a book.

Amazing! I love books.

When my mom received it from dad and opened it in front of me so I could see it, I couldn’t help but have a big smile on my face. The people in the room were rejoiced by my happiness as even the maid, who was as always standing by the door, had a big smile on their face. I must be cute.

After a week it had become part of the routine for mom to read for me. I began to understand more and more of the language, I can understand a little bit of everything, but not enough to understand their full conversations.

With a more packed routine filled with activities such as crawling, walking practice, listening to people, listening to mom reading, ignoring my obnoxious big brother (why does he want my attention so much), and the necessary stuff, like sleeping, and eating, days became weeks, and weeks became months.

One morning when mom picked me up, I decided to give her a surprise. I concentrated my hardest.

“Mama~” 

I let out my first word (that they had heard, and not the ones I spoke while training when no one was listening). The room became silent, dad stopped midway through the door, the young maid had a surprised face.

That moment of silence only went for a few seconds because mom, now with the happiest face I have ever seen, let out plenty of giggles as she repeated the word a couple of times while rubbing her cheeks on mine.

If I had known she would be this happy I would have done it sooner…

After mom calmed down and the atmosphere came back to normal, I was trying my hardest to understand their conversation.

“It doesn’t feel like it has been 10 months already”

“She is getting cuter by the day. By the way have you already sent the invitation”

Is mom talking about my birthday?

I didn’t listen to the rest of their conversation as I became distracted with one of the stuffed toys the maid had given me. I need to learn her name soon…

Talking about names I learned my parents’ and my brother’s names, mom is called Katherine, dad is called Hammond and my loud brother is called Theodore. 

My brother was devastated when he heard the news that I had said my first word. He tried his hardest to make me say Theo, but I wasn’t in the mood to please him. He left the room dejected that day. I almost felt bad for him, but he needs to learn not to be so loud.

Am I going to grow up to be a bad girl?

101