Chapter 43
2k 5 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Sorry about my absence, but had no power for almost two weeks, then was immediately stun-locked by chapter 48.

Under the pretty lights of the refinement chamber, Asahi was executing a series of movements, that slightly resembled tai chi. It was something developed in a planet inhabited by a species incredibly similar to Earth’s humans, in order for them to absorb ambient mana into their body.

Not only he was doing that, but he was also using sleep on the mobile target once in a while, without slowing down his movements.

He was wearing only his suit, in a receded form, looking like underwear. His body was covered with sweat, and as he finished, he started panting and sat on the floor.

‘Holy shit, this is hard. The health passive is pretty much carrying me here. This would have destroyed my body otherwise.’

He was in a lot of pain, more so than when just refining his mana, or working out while going beyond his limits on purpose. Despite of it, he was smiling, because he could feel the progress within him.

After a couple minutes, he was completely fine.

‘Alright, you said that I needed to do that in order to get used to forming arrays in my mana without being distracted, because I would need to be able to for the next thing. So, what is the big thing that I’ll be doing now?’

[ You will be invoking what is known as a Spiritual Companion. Unlike the name suggests, the creature does have a corporeal form, and will help you in a myriad of ways. ]

He furrowed his brow. ‘Like a familiar?’

[ Not quite, it is much more than that. Familiars are just creatures that underwent a Mystical Contract. A Spiritual Companion is something that Earthlings have no knowledge of, and is relatively rare even outside of this galaxy. ]

‘You said invoking, not summoning, and that the creature has a corporeal form, but not that they are corporeal. What did you mean by that?’

[ A Spiritual Companion is a soul that binds itself to yours with mutual consent, in order to help you. The type of soul that you will be invoking and the corporeal form that will be formed, all depends on who you are as a person, and how successful you are in the ritual. ]

‘Can that change me for the worse?’

[ No, quite the opposite. The Spiritual Companion can also serve as an anchor, to ease your burdens and keep you from taking the wrong path. ]

‘And since they have a corporeal form, my dumb human brain will have an easier time feeling comforted, unlike it is with you.’

[ Correct. ]

‘Alright. Please, buy what needs to be bought, and show me what I need to read.’

Suddenly, a giant drawing of dozens of runic ciphers integrated in a single formation appeared in front of him, alongside pages of texts.

He took a deep breath as he looked at the drawing. ‘I’m glad I have time, because this is gonna take a while.’

He then started reading the texts, leaving the drawing for last.

Although the texts were a quick read, the formation was not. Even though he had boosts, passives and all that, it took him nearly an hour to fully study the formation.

He then closed his eyes and did as the texts told him to, focusing on his most treasured feelings and memories as he formed each runic cipher.

The ambient mana trembled and started to move towards Asahi, as the runic ciphers started to slowly form within his mana.

It almost looked like reality itself was bending towards him.

The more mana he absorbed, the more pain he was in.

After a dozen minutes or so, he felt some of his bones crack.

Between the extremely intense pain and all the things that he had to pay attention to, he quickly lost track of time.

After what seemed to him like an eternity, when he was about to hit his limit, the final rune was added to the huge formation within his mana. It was then that he felt it, the greatest and most rewarding sensation that he had ever felt up to that point in his life.

It was like someone was giving his soul a warm hug. He felt a deep connection with this being, like they were destined to walk the same path together. One of the many sensations that the System had presented him with, that he would most likely be unable to properly put into words.

He reveled in that sensation for an unknown amount of time, before he felt a small creature appear on his lap.

Upon opening his eyes, he saw what looked like a slightly slenderer version a small ferret, with deep royal blue fur, and silvery stripes. Upon a closer look, although most likely only to him, those stripes looked like some sort of runic cipher, one that he didn’t understand.

The eyes had silvery irises that had an almost imperceptible wobble to them, making them resemble mercury.

The small creature looked at him, raising their tiny fluffy paws, asking to be picked up.

Asahi gently picked them up, bringing them to warm embrace.

His little friend rubbed their face against his cheek, then gave it a little lick.

An overwhelming number of emotions swirled inside Asahi, and they were all positive. There was no stress, no anxiety, no fear, not a single bad feeling.

Tears started to run across his face, as his little friend continued to caress his cheek.

After a while, still with the small creature in his arms, he looked at them.

 

“Hi.”

The small creature looked at Asahi with a mix of curiosity and fondness, then waved their little fluffy paw.

Asahi smiled brightly. “You’re so cute. Can you understand me?”

Wagging their tail, they nodded their little head.

Asahi gently caressed the top of their head. “Do you want me to give you a name?”

They nodded their head again.

He picked them up to check for something. “You seem to be a male. Do you want a boy’s name?”

Once more he nodded his head.

Asahi gave the little creature a kiss on his forehead. “System, can you tell me about his species?”

[ The name of the species is Xalvathuk. They are the ruling species of a planet with a mana density 623.47x higher than the one on Earth. Overall, they are incredibly intelligent, absurdly attuned with what you would call supernatural powers, can grow to be around 8.2m in length, and their planet has never been successfully invaded for the last 4,717 years that they have ruled it. The one in your arms is a newborn. ]

Asahi gave him another kiss on the forehead. “You’re as awesome as you’re cute, and your species seems to have a long history. How about Kanin? It’s a Celtic name that means little ancient one.”

The little guy shook his little fluffy paws and wagged his tail with excitement.

Asahi chuckled, and gave him many kisses. “Kanin it is.”

As he embraced Kanin, and stroked his fur, he felt Trish waking up. “Do you wanna meet my friend?”

Kanin nodded.

Asahi got up, and as he walked out of the refining chamber. “System, I have four questions. First, does he know every language that I do, or is it due to our special connection? Secondly, does he have a special diet? Thirdly, since we have such a special connection, can I use abilities that would otherwise be personal on him? Lastly, do I need to invoke a mate for him?”

[ The Xalvathuk can instantly assimilate any language by simply being near a creature, to the extent that said creature knows those languages. He is a omnivore, and has no restrictions in that area. Yes, you guessed correctly, you can indeed use personal abilities on your Spiritual Companion, including those granted by items. No, there is no need for a mate. Although Spiritual Companions have a gender according to their species, they are always asexual, and incapable of falling in love. ]

Asahi furrowed his brow. “Isn’t that… sad?”

[ Is it sad that you do not have the opportunity to fight in the mud against Albert Einstein? No, because you have no desire to do so. Kanin was created without the desire for copulation or romance. His happiness will come from his interactions and friendship with you and others, not from Earthling concepts that are of no consequence to him. You are merely projecting onto Kanin your inability to express how you actually feel about the ones close to you. ]

Asahi blinked. “Did you just dunk on me?”

[ Yes, and will continue to do so if needed, as part of the Basic Guidance. 360° alley-oops will come as well if the situation requires it. ]

Asahi laughed, stroking Kanin’s fur. “Thank you. Can I see his stats?”

 

  • Name: Kanin
  • Age: -
  • Length: 45cm
  • Weight:3kg

 

  • Acumen – 10
  • Appearance­­­ – 10
  • Athleticism –9
  • Charisma – 9
  • Cognition – 10
  • Composure – 9
  • Creativity – 9
  • Hand-Eye C. – 10
  • Physique – 9

 

  • Arcana – 4
  • Psionics – 3
  • Transcendence – 3

 

  • Passives: Exalted Resource Recovery, Hyper Bodily Health, Hyper Senses, Hyper Combat Adaptability, Hyper Intuition, Hyper Omni-Attunement, Instant Language Assimilation, Impregnable Mind, Inspiring Presence, Multi-Focus (5), Perfect Memory.

 

Asahi’s mouth went agape, while Kanin looked at the stats screen, nodding his little head like everything was in order.

Asahi immediately understood that they were supposed to be even higher, because the refinement chamber where he was conceived didn’t have a mana density as high as the one on the planet his species ruled over.

He then looked at Kanin, and patted his head. “You’re beyond incredible.”

Kanin wagged his tail, closing his eyes, thoroughly enjoying the praise.

“Is it okay if I teleport while holding you?”

Kanin nodded.

Asahi made shorts and a tank top appear on his body, then teleported both of them near what had become Trish’s official bedroom in the mansion.

Trish was still in bed, looking at her phone, wearing her usual pink pajamas.

Asahi smiled as he approached the door. “Good morning.”

She turned her head to look at him, but before she could say anything, she saw Kanin, and beamed them the brightest smile. “Oh my god, who is this bundle of cuteness?”

Asahi walked towards her. “This is Kanin, my Spiritual Companion. He’s a bajillion steps above a familiar.”

Trish was so enamored by Kanin’s cuteness, that she put aside the whole Spiritual Companion bit. “Hi Kanin, I’m Trish.”

Kanin waved at her.

Her eyes sparkled as she properly sat at the edge of the bed. “Can I hold you?”

Kanin extended his little fluffy paws towards her.

As soon as Asahi handed Kanin to Trish, Kanin gave her cheek a lick and a face-rub.

Trish embraced Kanin as she spoke, before showering him with kisses. “You are the cutest creature I have ever seen in my life.”

Asahi displayed a serene smile as he sat beside her.

Kanin looked extremely happy, about to take flight with how fast he was wagging his tail.

She then put Kanin on her lap and started to stroke his fur, then looked at Asahi. “You are so mean. You introduce me to the incarnation of cuteness itself when you are about to go home.”

Asahi chuckled. “You’ll see him later today. You can play with him then, but I guess you have a point. There will be a line to hug and play with him.”

She looked at Kanin, who was almost coiled on her lap, looking like he was having the time of his life. “Probably. Can I ask you a question about him?”

Asahi nodded. “Sure.”

“Aside being the cutest ever, and the best boy, why did you… summon him? I assume that is what you did, because I doubt that you just bought him from the Store.”

Asahi smiled. “The correct word would be invoked, but yeah, not from the Store. His soul, or what we from Earth call a soul, is connected to mine. He will help me in many ways, but one of them is serving as an anchor, to help me not to stray from my path. You know, mental health stuff. I actually didn’t ask the System why now, because the answer is obvious; the earlier you start with preventive measures, the better.”

She nodded. “I agree. Either way, Kanin exists, and that is great. Right Kanin?”

Kanin made a sound quite similar to a purr, but with a bit of a growl. It was the first sound that had come out of his mouth at that point.

Asahi smiled. “You look similar to a ferret, but that was more like a tiger cub.”

Trish chuckled. “Right?”

Asahi gently turned Trish’s face towards him, and gave her a light kiss. “I have to go now; the girls will soon wake up.”

Trish held Kanin and gave him one more kiss. “I will see you later today, okay?”

Kanin nodded.

She blinked, then looked at Asahi. “Can he really understand me?”

Asahi nodded. “He’s actually more intelligent than me, and he can instantly learn any language a creature knows, just by standing near them.”

She looked at Kanin, with her mouth slightly agape.

Kanin just nodded, confirming what Asahi said.

Once again, she embraced him and gave him a couple kisses, before handing him to Asahi. “I’m looking forward to playing with you later.”

Kanin waved at her, wagging his tail.

After saying goodbye, Asahi went home.

 

In his apartment, he sat at the large round kitchen table, putting Kanin on top of it. “System, is there an item for Kanin to use until he learns to use telepathy by himself?”

[ Yes. ]

“Then please buy it for him.”

[ Kanin, would you prefer a necklace, or a bracelet for your leg? ]

Kanin waved his left paw.

Suddenly, what looked like a ring for humans appeared right above Kanin’s left paw. It had the same colors as his fur, with the bracelet being of a silvery color, while the runes on it were a deep royal blue.

[ I included a personal cleaning function as well. ]

Kanin wasn’t startled at all. He licked the bracelet, and rubbed his face on it.

Suddenly, Asahi heard the boyish voice of a child in his mind. < Hello. >

Asahi smiled. “Hello. Wow, you learned how to use it instantly.”

Kanin wagged his tail. < Hehe… >

Asahi stroked Kanin’s fur. “Do you wanna eat something?”

< I do, but I don’t know what I like. >

“Do you want me to pick something for you then?”

Kanin wagged his tail. < Yeah! >

“Let’s start with some wagyu steak and some cherry tomatoes. Kanin, if you don’t like it, you can just tell me, okay? I won’t be mad, and I don’t want you to force yourself.”

Kanin nodded. < Okay. >

A plate with a piece of medium-rare steak and a dozen fresh cherry tomatoes appeared on the table.

Kanin sniffed the food, before taking a bite of the steak. Aside from being top quality meat, Kanin’s little teeth were absurdly sharp, tearing through the steak like it was nothing.

As he chewed, he started to wag his tail. < It’s delicious! >

Asahi smiled as he patted Kanin’s head, when he felt Fumiko and Mayumi waking up in Fumiko’s room.

He stroked Kanin’s fur. “You can keep eating. I’ll go get my friends who just woke up.”

Kanin bit into a cherry tomato. < Okay. This is delicious too! >

Asahi chuckled and got up. He was feeling indescribably well.

As he walked to Fumiko’s room, he had a thought. “System, thank you for bringing Kanin into our lives.”

[ You are welcome. ]

Arriving at the door to Fumiko’s room, he saw her and Mayumi in bed, cuddling half asleep. “Good morning.”

Both girls spoke almost in unison. “Good morning.”

As he walked to the bed, the girls used their personal cleaning devices.

He sat on the bed, beaming them a bright smile. “I brought home a little friend.”

They looked at him quizzically.

“The System had me invoke what is called a Spiritual Companion. It’s like countless leagues above a familiar. One of the reasons from him to be here, is to help me with my mental health.”

Fumiko looked around. “Where is he?”

“He’s on the kitchen table, eating. His name is Kanin, and he’s smarter than me, so I bought him an item that enables him to use telepathy. Since you two already had Aurora talk to you through telepathy, it won’t be unnerving.”

The girls quickly got up, both wearing pajamas.

Mayumi grabbed his arm. “Let’s go, I’m super curious.”

He chortled as he followed them.

As soon as they laid eyes upon Kanin, he waved his little paw at them. < Hello. Do you want food too? >

Both girls almost melted with the combination of the adorable child-like voice in their minds, and how cute he looked eating.

They approached the table with care.

Mayumi was the first to speak. “Hi Kanin, I’m Mayumi, and this is Fumiko.”

He bit into a cherry tomato, holding it with his little paws. < Nice to meet you. Hmmm… this is so good. >

Fumiko leaned closer. “Nice to meet you too. May I stroke your fur?”

< Yeah! I like that. >

Mayumi promptly followed. “Can I do it too?”

< Yeah! >

Kanin looked extremely happy as the girls stroked his fur.

Asahi smiled. “I’ll stay home for today. I don’t wanna leave Kanin alone, nor do I want to make him hide while I’m attending class. Today is literally his first day, so I rather spend it with him.”

Seeing how happy he looked, the girls smiled at each other, walked towards Asahi, and hugged him.

Fumiko caressed his chest. “I’m happy for you.”

Mayumi kissed his cheek. “Yeah, me too.”

Asahi thoroughly enjoyed their embrace, as he looked at Kanin. He could feel deep within him, that Kanin was like a piece of him that he didn’t even know was missing.

Please, consider supporting me on Ko-fi or Patreon. The money goes towards groceries and other essentials.

On Ko-fi you can tip me directly, contributing to additional weekly releases. For more information, go to my Ko-fi page. While on Patreon, you can stay five chapters ahead of the public releases, while also helping me work towards additional weekly releases. Also, for Patrons at the U$5 tier and above, their Ko-fi tips have double value while there is no special sale going on.

Thank you all for reading my novel. I wish you nothing but happiness. 😁

36