Chapter 5—The calm before…(1/2)
383 0 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Goddess. This is Sunday's chapter. The chapter that was supposed to be released today, will come as soon as possible.

 

I really try to stick to the schedule, but somehow I'm always a little late. I hope that as soon as I get better, it will all go more smoothly.

 

 

 

 

This freaking dream kept me in a bad mood for the rest of the week. The fact that I pondered about it most of the time didn't help. How could I not? I mean, the dream was just too weird, it was—

 

The ringing of my phone snapped me out of my thoughts. I had an idea about who would call me at this time of the day—it was one of my old friends.

 

Over the week, more and more of them began to message me. At first, I was skeptical, but after writing and talking to them a few times, I got the feeling that they really changed a bit. It was kinda cute to see how hard they tried to not offend me in any way. They really wanted me at the reunion, huh. Somehow I already played with the thought of attending this event. As far as I knew some of them made an effort to book a big ball hall for the visitors. Well...I say visitors because most of them already had kids and would also bring a family with them. Dunno how I should feel about it, though. I mean, all of them were already somewhat successful, so I still felt a little bit apprehensive. I shivered at the dreadful thought of explaining to random people who I am and their possible disgusted reaction. Most folks in my hometown were like this. Even if some of them tried to be open-minded, I wouldn't be so delusional as to expect all of them to understand the meaning. It wouldn't be my first time seeing this reaction on their faces, after all.

 

I pinched myself to snap back to reality. The phone still rang, so I grabbed it and answered the call.

 

"Hello?"

 

" Oh, hey, um, you go by Mavis now, right?"

 

"Yes," I answered flatly, again. Three other persons ask me the same question the last four days. Weren't they all friends? Didn't they communicate with each other? So why would they always ask me the same question every time they call me? And why was it every day and not just once—did they do it to make fun out of me? Honestly, it annoyed and aggravated me. 

 

"Yeah yeah, that's great, and so on. I just wanted to tell ya that I really hope for your attendance at our little reunion. And maybe pursue you a bit with the fact that Laura is there too, you know, the cute girl you had a crush on. And she's single and super-duper open-minded as far as I can recall. So maybe you try to get dibs on her," he said with a really annoying tone.

 

"Urg, I already explained it to the other ones and will tell the same thing to you. I. HAVE. NEVER. AND. WILL. NEVER. HAVE. A. CRUSH. ON. HER. I. WAS. SIMPLY. JEALOUS. OF. HER. LOOKS. THAT'S. ALL. CAPICHE?"

 

"What, really? Why the fuck haven't I heard about this from them. My god, it wasn't my intention to get on your nerves with that. Well, anyway, it would be really amazing if you come. Uhh, this was actually all I wanted to tell, sooo...see ya," he replied and instantly ended the call.

 

I didn't even bother to think about this conversation—just a waste of time in the end. Still, why were they all acting so weird? Whatevs. Was probably only my imagination cause they were new to all the stuff after all.

 

To get my mind off, I started to browse the news and the university forum about our last lecture. By chance, I saw the time and instantly panicked because it was nearly too late to catch the bus. I wouldn't be panicked about being too late on any other day if it wasn't for the message that Prof. Eschenwege mailed me. I really wanted to talk to her, especially after this freaking nightmare. If she really could help me, could end this horrible curse, I would be thankful for the rest of my life. Also, she was hot, ok? Don't judge me. Ahhh, those feelings were totally new to me. How the fuck was I supposed to handle them? It was my first time having a crush, after all, and the first time I had this kind of longing. 

 

After I hurriedly packed my things up and ran out of this god-forsaken joy-sucking place, I actually managed to catch the bus.

 

-------

 

Even if the first 'real' lecture wasn't boring at all, it somehow took a few imaginary years before it was finally over. Unlike last time, I waited till only the two professors were still present. Somehow, the regular professor was weirded out about this situation, as if she couldn't understand why I would be here and wait. She took a side-glance at Mrs. Rubina and probably hoped for the same reaction. Prof. Eschenwege, however, had an eager expression on her face. This look totally made me light-headed, and I noticed how my cheeks started to feel hot.

 

"Don't worry, she's waiting for me. I wanted to talk to her about something, so you can already go ahead. I'll see you later, okay?"

 

"Ok, Rubina. But please be...careful," she answered with a distrustful look towards me.

 

Ms. Rubina grimaced at this statement. My heart was beating faster. She was angry at the behavior that was being directed at me. However, she didn't talk back because she knew—as well as I did—that there was no point in arguing against anyway. 

 

She waited until the other professor left the hall and then walked towards me with long elegant steps. I was still sitting exactly where I had been sitting at the beginning of the lecture, not because I was rude...I just somehow couldn't handle the overall situation. She didn't seem to mind, though. 

 

Nonchalantly, she sat down in the same row—one seat away from me. Then there was silence for a brief moment, in which I convulsively tried not to look directly at her, fearing that she might discover my insignificant feelings for her and make the situation even stranger than it already was. Finally, her lovely voice rang out again. 

 

"I'm sorry if this all seems a little weird or creepy to you, but I meant it when I wrote you that I could help you."

 

I only nodded, as my mind couldn't find the words for an answer.

 

She took this as an opportunity to continue. "I must first tell you, however, that some of what I am about to reveal to you may seem strange and crazy. But please try to keep an open mind about it."

 

I nodded again.

 

Prof. Eschenwege took a deep breath. "You are cursed. I don't know why or how, but you are. And when I say cursed, I don't mean 'bad luck' or simply some petty magic spell. I mean a terribly evil, insidious, and powerful curse. Heck, if I didn't know better, I'd think a goddess wanted to see you eternally suffer. But I can feel how long the curse has been on you, and it would be ridiculous to assume that a child would have been able to anger such an entity like that. But um-"

 

"Stop," I yelled, even though I didn't mean to. But something was telling me to do it. "I don't want to hear such bullshit! I should have known you were just making fun of me! In the end, everyone is the same!" No, no. That's not what I was going to say. What's happening to me?!

 

"I-" she started again, but I didn't let her get a word in edgewise.

 

"Shut up! I have had to let myself be humiliated like this for so long. I know a lie when I see one!" No, please stop!

 

Suddenly, I jumped up. I tried to stop myself, tried to stay standing, but I couldn't. 

 

"Goodbye," was the last thing I said, extremely aggressive. Then I left. 

 

Only when I was sitting in the moving bus did I regain control of my body. At that moment, tears already began to stream down my face. My chance to find something out about my condition—no matter how absurd everything seemed to be—was gone. She would never speak to me again...she would loathe me now.

Thanks for reading!

20