Miri’s Journey IV: Homecoming
155 5 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                                                                                                                 Miri

“Everyone needs a fresh start sometimes, or given a second chance.”-Princess Dawn of Realta.

Miri draws a deep breath, taking in the sweet-salty scent of the sea with a cheerful smile, gods had she missed the scent of the oceans! It had been years since she last traveled by boat. She had been planning on journeying by carriage or possibly just a horse like she had been for many years. But when the opportunity came to travel by ship she couldn’t resist a change of pace, she wished they’d encountered more pirates though.

“Approaching docks! Lower the sails and prepare to unload our cargo, let’s not keep the Cirrians waiting for their spices.” The captain’s sturdy voice barks through the ship. “You! Girl! Are you going to stand here gawking at a bunch of water or are ya gonna give us a hand unloading this cargo?”

Miri releases an exasperated sigh. “Fine…I was just having a moment.” Her eyes turn to the large set of rusty red spires in the distance and her stomach flutters in giddy excitement. Cintra is full of new opportunities since the king married a Fae woman. Trade had prospered as all the lands wanted to profit from the marriage, not to mention the new queen’s wisdom and good graces could turn even a begging street urchin into an aristocrat with just a few well-placed words. She had to admit…she was dying to meet the new queen.

“Stop fucking lallygagging! Carry these boxes to the quartermaster or I’m charging you double, girl.”

Miri shot a death glare at the captain, silently wishing she had a gorgon’s stare. “Alright, I’m coming, already! Gods…” She rolls up her sleeves and stomps off to a pile of boxes, picking up a pile with reckless abandon.

“You break it, you buy it!” The captain growls.

“Who shot a bullet up your arse?” Miri rolls her eyes, ignoring his angry ranting as she walks down the plank. “Pfft. Wish it could shove a bullet up your-“

The captain grunts, her face red like an erupting volcano. “Enough! Just put the boxes with the rest. And carefully! That’s Scathari glass, you know! Made from the finest allured crystals. Worth more than a thousand of your precious hide.”

“Don’t tempt me into dropping them, then.” Miri snarls.

The captain shoots her a challenging look, eying her with I’ll-disguised contempt.

“Don’t think I will?” She tilts her head. “Watch me!” Miri grins, dropping the little box. When she hears the captain gasp she giggles and swiftly snatches the cargo mid-air before gently setting it down. “Don’t worry, I’m not a bitch. But you really are too uptight you know?”

“I…” The captain merely stares at her, dumbfounded.

“Bye Merald! I left your payment on your desk. Pleasant seas on your way back to the Rain kingdom.”

She spins around and strolls off into the bustling docks. Her heart brightens at the vibrant, even happy atmosphere. The Royal wedding was a few months ago by now but the Cirrians still carried such joy in their hearts! Everyone she passes by was talking about the queen’s gleaming gown made almost entirely of rubies or her ever-shifting eye colors. While other, more financial-leaning types, were whispering of how they could turn the newly found union into a profit by selling “supposedly” Fae-oriented goods. Miri opens her mouth to give the weasels an earful but she overhears a conversation about an upcoming celebration.

“I heard there’s a party coming on the morrow! They’re gonna have fire dancers and real Fae to perform!” A young voice bubbles.

“Aye and sparkling Dragonbelly beer! Or bubbled Iria wine for them prissy folk. I’m more interested in the music though…is it true a whole group of Lyrian bards arrived here yesterday? Wonder if they’re better than our minstrels.” A girlish voice pipes, trying their best to sound sagely.

Miri’s lips curve into a beatific smile. “Wonder if their reputation for having the best parties of the seven lands holds up. I’ll have to test that out…” she whistles a jovial tune to herself as she dances through the crowd. “And maybe kiss a lass or two!” She sings.

Miri weaves through the crowd like a bird flying through a sea of trees until she bumps right into a giant of a man. “Seven hells! What’s going on? I was in the middle of dancing.”

The hulking man glances over his shoulder. “The queen’s gonna ride through here, and I’m not giving up my spot!”

She tucks her tongue inside her cheek. “Figures some prissy lady would ruin my dancing. Do you know when she’s gonna pass through?”

The man shrugs. “Don’t care. I’m not moving.” Then, as if to prove his point he widens his stance and folds his arms.

“Okidoki!” Miri chirps. “I’ll just get something to eat.” She pats the man’s shoulder and skips back into the crowd.

“Hmm. Tall lady.” He mumbles under his breath.

She squints her eyes. “Where are you…actually which street am I on?” Miri scratches her hair. “King’s lane? Cinder’s herald…no…Ceria’s street? Oh! I hope it’s Ceria’s street they’ve got a nice candy store. I could go for some candy…not the sticky kind though. I hate the sticky kind. Wonder if they’ve got those Rosy sweet pops! I love sweet pops.” Miri peers at a concerned bystander. “Don't gimme that look! Everyone talks to themselves, it’s good for ya!”

Then Miri smiles at the person, enthusiastically shaking their hand like they were long-lost friends. “Thanks though!”

“Why are you-“

“Well! I’m gonna go climb up a street lantern now. Good dawn!” Miri gives them a curt salute and marches off, leaving them slightly confused as to what the fuck just happened. Miri jumps on a man’s shoulder, then diligently tip-toes from shoulder to shoulder through the mass of people. “Sorry! Please don’t mind me!” She chirps, hopping onto the street lantern until she reaches the top. “Let’s see…it is Ceria’s street!” She shouts, leaving every eye on her. “What? They’ve got good candy!” Miri purses her lips then lands back on the street.

She takes a step out into the street to cross over but a hand grabs her arm. “Hey!” She growls. “Let me go!”

“The streets are forbidden until her majesty has crossed. Please wait or find another route.” Commanded a raspy baritone. “Apologies for the inconvenience.”

“Apologies for the inconvenience!” Miri mocks, sticking out her tongue. “Screw your apologies.” She stomped her feet on his foot and ran off.

The guard sighs then shrugs carelessly. “I’m nae paid enough to chase after every wee girl that pulls this shite.”

Miri giggles as she dashes across the street. “Catch me if you can, arsehole!-wait a minute.” Her head snaps around, only to find there was no one chasing her. “Pfft! Dullard!” She yells, but the guard only rolls their eye. “Fine, fine! I’ll just run to the store without being chased. Because that’s so much fun!” She huffs, crossing her arms. Breaking into a sprint, Miri hurries to the candy store eager to buy some sweets before the queen passes through. “Can’t forget cheese though. Gotta have cheese!”

Pushing through the door, she stumbles into the shop, panting like she just walked through a cinder storm. “Hi!” She squeaks. “Alden! I’m…I’m back!”

The old man adjusts his spectacles. “Do I know you? How do you know that name?”

Miri holds up a finger as she catches her breath. “Fuck! I’ve gone soft! From a fucking boat ride!” After inhaling and exhaling deeply, she straightens her posture. “Don’t you recognize me? I’m Miri! I guess I looked a little different back then…”

The shop owner eyes her like she’s a madwoman. “I…see…Welcome to the Sweet Wheel. What can I do for ya lass?”

Miri fixes her flaxen mane. “Ya got any sweet pops? The spicy kind!”

He thoughtfully frowns for a moment, then nods before disappearing in the back.

Miri leans on the counter. “Okay then! I’ll just wait here I guess…” She looks around the store, furrowing her brows at its rather dull decorem. “what happened to the store? It looks so different…this place used to have more…sparkle…almost like magic. Why are the walls grey and not lavender?”

The old man shuffles back to the counter, a bright pink box in his wrinkled hands. “We’ve…had renovations. But regardless you are, miss. That’ll be fifteen coppers.”

Miri’s frown deepens. “Alright then…well the renovations weren’t an improvement…got any cheese?”

The old man inspects her face, a hint of curiosity lurking in his veiny grey eyes. “You planning on flirting with some girl? Or is it from a friend?”

Miri tilts her head. “I didn’t know you were interested in such things, Alden? But yes…if I run into a cute girl I’m gonna wanna have some cheese in my purse.”

The man shrugs. “Very well. Aren’t you lucky you came to the Sweet Wheel? We’re one of the last candy stores to still sell things like cheese for you young folks interested in courting.”

She bats her eyes. “Truly?”

“Aye. Farmers and merchants complained nobody was buying their wares anymore so the king caved and increased the taxes for shops like ours who aren’t ‘supposed to sell cheese anymore.”

Miri puts a hand on her hip, looking onto the street in a daze. “When did this happen?”

The man strokes his beard. “A few years ago, I reckon.”

She clasps a hand over her mouth. “I thought I wasn’t gone for that long…” Her focus is clouded by her thoughts until a loud thump snaps her out of it.

“Your cheese, lass. Hope your gal appreciates it because it really is a fine piece of cheese. Five silvers, or six silvers and five coppers total if you prefer.”

Miri clenches her jaw, numbly handing over seven silver rioga’s. “Keep the change.” She mumbles, pouring her goods into her purse. “Pleasant dawn.”

“You as well!” The shopkeeper scratches his head in mild amusement. “Alden…now there’s a name I haven’t heard in ages.”

She strolls out of the store, absently chewing on a pinkish-red ball. “Hmm. Not as spicy as I remember. Not spicy enough…” Miri mumbles. “Not nearly enough…” She wrinkles her nose. “And it’s bitter.” She breathes out a drawn-out sigh, throwing the box into a nearby trash pile.

“Oi! Get back in line!” A deep voice snarls.

“Calm your tits, I was just on my way!” She snarls back, fixing the other guard with a furious glare. “Gosh…who shoved a spear up your bum?” She shimmies through the crowd and climbs up a colossal man. “Hello! Do you mind if I sit on your shoulder?”

The man chuckles. “Nae, as long as you dinnae move too much. I’m Calum.”

Miri gives him a dazzling smile. “Pleasure! I’m Miri, I just arrived here.”

“Well, welcome to Cintra, lass. You’ve come at exciting times! We’ve a Fae queen sitting her Royal backside on the Ruby throne. She’s already had a wee bairn, a prince. Lochaine I think his name is.”

Miri whistles, impressed by how fast the royals moved. “They must be head over heels with each other! Are Fae pregnancies always this fast?”

The man shrugged, nearly sending Miri tumbling down. “Dinnae ken. But they say she’s as beautiful as the great dragon’s wife.”

She purses her lips. “I’ve never even seen any paintings or murals of his wife. Have you?”

“Nae. But if she’s the dragon’s wife surely she’s beautiful?”

“Perhaps. The gods work in mysterious ways…I try not to think about what goes on in the minds of the gods.” Her eyelids droop as she stares ahead. “I’ve given up on that a long time ago.”

A low horn sounds in the distance. Miri squints her eyes, then squeals with joy when she sees the Royal entourage. “There she is!” She hollers, leading to the crowd bursting into cheerful shouting and chanting. The guards ready their halberds, slamming their shafts on the ground in an effort to show authority and calm the crowd, to little avail.

Small groups of pixies and wisps fly ahead of the carriage, their eyes sharp and darting in search of danger and treats. Not far behind them are a herd of mounted Royal guards, garbed in the finest Tineglass armor and armed with the sharpest blades forged with Lasairina metals, a metal created by melting steel and Dragon’s tears together during a Cinderstorm.

To the sides of the carriage four mages march in a unified rhythm, their armor and robes shining in the morning light. Miri tilts her head at their faces, or lack thereof rather. Their hoods obscured most of their faces, with the exception of the two small flames, softly crackling where their eyes are meant to be. “How in the hells can they see through the fire?”

The man shrugs again, this time sending her falling down with a tiny yelp, right into a small pile of mud. “Dinnae ken.”

“I…am okay! I’m fine!” She replies through gritted teeth. “I’m okay…I’m fine…if I repeat it enough, it’ll be true! It’ll be true…fuck…is there mud on my bum?” The man slowly turns his head, but Miri stops him. “No don’t look! I was just asking myself. I’m just…gonna go-“

“SHE’S GETTING OUT!” A shrill woman’s voice shrieks across the street.

And with that, Miri’s head snaps to the carriage. “Where?!”

The carriage door slowly opens, and the queen gracefully swings her legs outside, before tumbling down into the muddy street. “Fucking human legs!” She hisses. “Anyway!” Then, Runia clears her throat, forgetting all about the mud stains on her once-beautiful scarlet gown. “People of Cintra, I’m pleased to announce that…how do you say this?” Runia rubs her temples. “I need a translator…” She eyes Miri with a light smirk, before beckoning her to come closer.

“Me?” Miri mouths then inches closer to the queen. “Yes, your majesty?” She curtsies.

“How do I tell people that the king and I had sexual intercourse and I’m having another baby?”

“What?” Miri bats her eyes. “…What? I um…you’re pregnant?”

Runia’s eyes light up. “I’m PREGNANT!” She throws her arms high. “With twins!”

The crowd screams with joy and laughter, jubilantly cheering on their queen, and not long after people begin dancing and singing in the streets, their hearts soaring with song and happiness.

“Ah! It’s good to see so many happy people. Thank you, I’m still largely unfamiliar with human terms, and the human tongue. Quite literally.”

Miri rests a hand on her chest and bows before her queen. “My pleasure, your majesty.”

Runia cocks her head, then her lips curve into a mischievous smirk. “Come, sit with me in the carriage.”

The willowy girl’s cheeks turn red, and she eagerly obliges.

“So,” Runia begins. Then carriage begins to ride once again, much to Runia’s chagrin. “Hey!” She hits the carriage’s ceiling. “I didn’t say we could go! Stop!” She grunts and kicks at the door, until the carriage promptly stops. “Thank you! Where was I?”

Miri awkwardly scratches her arm. “Uh…nowhere? You just said…so.”

“Ah yes! So!” Runia folds her hands at her lap. “Your dress is as mud stained as mine, why did that happen?”

“Oh…I fell off a half giant’s shoulder.” Miri snorts. “It’s nothing, really. I don’t mind anymore already.”

Runia nods, then looks at her with an odd grin on her lips. “And how old are you, if I may ask?”

“I’m sixteen, your grace,” Miri replies. Her voice soft, distant.

“Is that so? Well, you certainly look the part I’ll give you that.” The queen brushes her red locks over her shoulder. “Where are you from miss…”

Her eyes turn glassy as she looks outside. “Miri, Miri lightkin. I’m from the Daybreak kingdom, highness.”

“I see. Well…Miri of the Daybreak kingdom…What brings you to Cintra? Is it myself, perhaps the wedding?”

Miri rubs her nose. “I came here looking for work.”

“Work? Darling, I was a Royal of the Fae once, I understand when I’m being lied to.” Runia softly takes her hand. And to Miri’s surprise, her tone was gentle and compassionate. Unlike most royals, who turn up their noses at the slightest flaws.
“Are you hiding something from me? Are you in danger?”

“No, no!” She exclaims. “Gods no…no…I’m not in danger, highness.” Miri lowers her head. “I wanna be a Royal maid. But I’m not qualified, I was hoping to study at the serving academy once I gathered enough money…stealing.”

Runia flashes her a soft smile, one of empathy and warmth. “I understand, child. I…have been trying to improve conditions for the children of Cintra, or even just Pyria. But it’s been difficult…however, I believe that there’s a place for you in the castle. You can train there, should you decline I can send you to one of the newly built children’s refuges, unless you’d prefer the adult shelter?”

Miri’s lips part. Was she truly offering her a place In the castle? For nothing? Has the queen gone mad?

“I…um…I’m not worthy, your majesty.”

Runia drew her lips back in a slight snarl. “Don’t play me for the fool. I need someone to watch my daughters, and you want to be a Royal maid. You can train your serving and combat skills while they’re growing up. And when they’re grown up…you can be their guide…until then you can serve me should your training be finished early.” The queen crosses her legs, fixing her with a no-nonsense look. “As I suspect it will be. But regardless you can replace my maid then, poor thing’s overworked.”

Miri gulps. “I…I accept, my lady. But I’m really not-“

A knocking sound interrupts her line of thought.

“My lady? I brought you your cookies. Strawberry flavored!”

Runia’s smile returns. “Excellent! I’m famished as you folks say…though I must say eating is very complicated.” Her eyebrows tangle into a thoughtful frown. “Yesterday I was not in the mood to continue eating all day so I decided to get it all out of the way. Then, before I knew it my stomach hurts and my maid is telling me I ate too much! It’s very frustrating.”

“My lady?” Her maid knocks on the carriage again. “I’m still standing here…”

Runia’s eyes shift to the door and she hurries to open it. “My apologies Áine! Miri, this is Áine.”

Áine gives her an awkward wave. “Hi.”

Miri peers at Áine’s rustic locks and waggles her eyebrows. “Heya!”

She frantically digs through her purse and fishes out her cheese.

Áine flutters her lashes. “Are you flirting with me?”

“Yes! No! Maybe…Is it working?”

The maid brushes a lock of hair behind her hair as she sits down, handing over the treats to her lady. “I guess we’ll have to find out…”

Runia stares at the treats with ravenous joy. “Thank you!” With a joyful smirk she opens a carriage door and pokes her head outside. “I am ready, let us leave for the king immediately.” She turns to Miri with a knowing grin. “I am trusting you with my children, with my daughters…but something tells me they’ll be in good hands with you.”

3