Act 4 l Fever
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was our first day back to school since the accident. After I had made up with Youichii I dropped him off at his school and made my way to my own high school.

Though my insomnia had yet to vanish, and I could tell that my sanity was on the verge of breaking. My little outburst with Youichii the previous day was proof of that.

"Yo! Natsume, you okay man?"

I snapped out of my trance to find Kokoroyomi's hand waving in front of my face; he was my one friend from elementary school besides Mikan. Those two were the closet to me… well now one is close to me now.

"I'm fine." Swatting his hand with my own I pulled my raven hair back from my forehead. "It just… feels like I'm forgetting something important… It's like its eating me up from the inside."

I watched him think about what I said, and then he shrugged his shoulders and bit his apple. His eyes began to trail towards the bland school ceiling.

"Maybe in the accident your memory lapsed?"

Thank you Koko for taking the moment as seriously as you could.

"It is plausible. Or perhaps Mikan's death was too traumatic and you just forgot. Poof!"

That was when Koko acted out with his hands an exploding bomb that exploded in close quarters.

Then again, I should have known he wouldn't take this seriously.

"I… don't know." I admitted finally.

It wasn't like I was going to get anywhere with this thinking anyway. Maybe Koko was right? Maybe my memory relapsed and over time I would remember the details… Though what if I regret remembering?

"…remember…"

I snapped my head up as her voice popped into my head.

"Woah! Natsume, you okay?"

"…Our accident… not… believe…"

"Do you hear that?" I asked, looking around me to see if someone was playing a prank on me.

"Hear what man? That the students are talking in the background? We are in the cafeteria you know."

"No, it's Mikan… Mikan's voice." I replied, carefully choosing my words as I looked around the room. I guess I didn't choose my words well since Koko stiffened.

"Uh, I'm going to get the nurse. Stay here, okay man? I'll be right back!"

The screeching sounds from his chair echoed in my ears as Koko rushed away. I stared at the ceiling, and then I looked at my untouched food. Surprisingly, just looking at that food made me sick.

"Mikan? Are you there?" I whispered, honestly feeling like a lunatic. My lack of sleep, these trances, and the strange feeling of heat erupting from my forehead seemed to be getting me.

"I'm sorry I don't get it." I mumbled finally and then I collapsed.

That was the first time in a while that the darkness was pure bliss.


"I suggest you stay home for a while Natsume Hyuuga. You have a fever over 101 degrees. It would be quite the predicament if you gave your cold to the other students."

I laid silently in the gurney as the nurse Rei Serio looked me over to see if there was anything else wrong with me.

Was it bad for me to hate someone for no reason? I remembered Mikan didn't like him that much… so maybe I was biased?

"Do you hear me Natsume?"

"…Yes. Now get out of my face."

Unfortunately he didn't seem to take my threat seriously and decided to stay longer.

"How is your memory doing? Kokoroyomi was telling me about your fragmented memories. Perhaps I could help you decipher them?"

Damn you Koko.

"It's nothing. I just keep remembering glass imploding. The deer was aiming for our car too… at least in the dreams. I was shouting out to her and Mikan was scared. I could tell she didn't even know what to do."

"And anything else?"

Was it just me, or did he just try to probe more into a traumatized student?

He was even taking notes.

"Nothing…"

With a snap of his notebook he left my side and went to his desk.

"If you remember," I heard him say. "Come to me immediately. Perhaps I can help you with finding a clue to your elapses. Now you may go."

With the flick of his wrist I was directed to the door and I was taken home.

0