Act 5 l Nightmares
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Will he hear me?"

"I don't know. His hatred to himself and towards the angels seems to be blocking us."

"Natsume… is there anything I can do? He's suffering."

"And he'll continue to suffer…"

"I have to get him to remember though… if we can't get him to remember… he may wind up like me. He has to know that something bad has happened."

"…Mikan."

"It'll be painful for him, but he has to know. Natsume has to know that our accident was not an accident."

"…"

"Ruka please help me!"

"…Alright. Then allow me to offer my assistance; as a friend and as an angel."

"Thank you. Ruka."


I was sitting in the driver's seat driving down the path. The music was blaring and the windows were down. The wind that had rushed inside the cabin had played with my hair indicated that I may need to get it cut soon.

One of my hands were lightly holding onto the steering wheel, and the other was resting on the armrest holding her hand.

"Natsume?"

"Yeah?"

"You know you can slow down. I don't care if we're late."

"Alright, alrigh-!" I moved my foot to the brake and froze.

It was the same. The exact same as that night.

"Mik-!"

My right foot pushed on the brake, hoping to the gods that the car would stop before the deer would appear. I pleaded, begged, and finally stopped.

My eyes fixed on the road, the fear coursed through my mind as the pedal fell to the floor without resistance.

It wasn't working.

The. Brakes. Weren't. Working.

"Watch out!" Her voice brought my attention to the road and the deer that was waiting. Staring at us with those glazed eyes.

"Natsume!"


"Natsume!"

The horrible screams that filled my ears didn't stop until Youichii had slapped my head with a pillow.

Go Youichii.

"Youichii…?"

I saw him drop the pillow. His eyes were filled with tears as he embraced me.

Did I terrify him?

I must have because he began to bawl into my shirt and trembled.

"You were having a nightmare… and I was so scared that you wouldn't stop screaming… I tried waking you but you didn't respond. Natsume-nii-san… don't leave. I'm sorry. It was a nightmare. It's just a nightmare!"

Wrapping my arms around him I moved so that I was leaning against my bed frame and sighed.

"Forgive me. I’m not leaving you. Relax."

"Natsume?"

"It's nothing. Just stay by me tonight. We'll both fight off the nightmares. Okay?"

"…Okay."

We stayed up all night randomly talking about absolutely nothing, and while I was still wide awake when Youichii began to doze off and then he wound up asleep in my arms.

Bringing the blanket over his sleeping form I looked at my ceiling.

These nightmares were going to be the death of me. I know it.

0