Chapter 3
6.2k 21 236
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3

Now would be the perfect time for me to discover I have superpowers and can turn invisible or teleport. I concentrate really hard and look back in the mirror. Nope, still here, shit. I hear the front door open and wrap my fingers around the choker on my neck then rip it off with as much force as I can muster. It tears off my neck and I quickly shove it into my pocket as I make my way down the hall only to be met face to face with Emma.

“Oh my gosh!” Emma yelped. “You scared me. I thought you were still at Brett's.”

Come on brain, don't fail me now. “Oh yeah, well you see, there was...an accident.” Yes, good brain.

“An accident? Did someone hurt you?” She was looking at my neck for some reason.

Shit. “No, no one got hurt or anything. It was just a spill.” Stop it, bad brain.

“Oh thank goodness, I was worried I was gonna have to fight someone.”

Fight someone? What was she talking about, and why was she looking at my neck? Wait why is she looking at my pants now? I looked down and realized what had her attention. My entire soul dropped from my body and descended to the underworld to be tormented forever. That would have been a better fate than what I was about to bear. Something I had forgotten to do in my panic induced clothing of myself was to wipe the mess off my thighs. Which had created a visible wet spot on my jeans. Still waiting on those superpowers, anytime now. 

“Did someone spill beer on you?” Emma asked.

“Yes!” I responded with a bit too much gusto. I don’t know what deity had my back today but I wasn't questioning it. “The one cat team scored a goal and everyone jumped up and I got covered in beer. I just got home and was going to see if you were back and then I heard you come in and here we are. That’s precisely how everything happened up until this exact point in time.” Damn I’m smooth. I even kind of worked in the team mascot.

Emma stared at me for a moment. “Geez that sucks, guess you should've come with me to the mall for girls day. Could’ve had a lot more fun.” She gave me a smirk walking past me towards her room. “I texted saying I was on my way home, I stopped and got groceries. Why don’t you get cleaned up and I’ll make dinner.”

Oh, right, the text message. I was so caught up with the fact that pogchamp pushed me over the edg...Wait! I almost forgot. Emma is Serenitea!

I dissociated my way into the bathroom and started removing my clothes, trying to process what just happened. I usually avoid mirrors but I caught a glimpse of myself, oh, that’s what she was looking at. There was a red mark around my neck where I ripped the choker off. Stupid, why did I rip it off, it’s not like can just get a new one. It took me forever to get the outfit in the first place.

I stood frozen in my shower, my eyes fixated on the tile in front of me as the steam filled the tub blocking my view of my body. Not that I could even think about avoiding my body like I normally do. My roommate is a famous Vtuber who thinks I’m a girl and calls me pogchamp. My body shivered at the thought again. Weird, I’m in a hot shower I shouldn't be shivering like this. 

Ok, maybe I’m reading too much into things. Emma could just be a really big fan and is embarrassed about it. I mean, I don't really share how big a fan I am with most people, then again I don't share a lot of things with most people. Or anyone for that matter. But Emma should know I at least like Serenitea. 

But, if Emma was Serenitea, did she know I was SlyMaid? If so, why would she call me a girl knowing full well I’m not one? My stomach churned at the thought, is this just her way of teasing me? She always winks and makes weird comments about me being cute. She’s even said, “If you were a girl I’d totally date you.” But that’s just her friendly way of messing with me. I mean, yeah she constantly invited me to girls day, and like, doesn’t refer to me as a guy at all. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time she called me by my name. 

That's when the realization set it, the only thing that could make any sense. Emma forgot my name! No, that’s stupid, my name is on our lease. Even if she did forget she could just look it up. Unless, she lost her copy! Yes! That’s the only rational explanation here. 

Ok fine, even I’m not that dense. But there had to be something going on. 

I don’t wanna think anymore. There’s been way too much awkwardness, fear and weird feelings today. I finish my shower as quickly as possible and head into my room. I have to go back and try to piece this together.

Back at my desk I put on my noise cancelling headphones, I got them a while back so I wouldn't bother Emma with any noise from gaming or watching streams. Logging in I spent the next 20 minutes looking up compilations of Serenitea calling people pogchamp and good girls. There was a surprising usage of my username. Wow, it really was almost every stream I was tuned in for. Starting from the beginning about the book club dating sim all the way to recently when she was being chased by giant victorian vampires and making constant jokes about being stepped on and sucked dry. 

“Mommy dommy is coming after me. I need my little pogchamp SlyMaid to come and get stepped on for me.” Her slight southern accent came through and I blushed again. Not full keyboard smash like I did during the stream, but there was something about her voice that set something off in me. Plus, the idea of being stepped on by a pretty girl sounded weirdly fun? Ok I’m getting sidetracked, I need to find out if Emma is actually Serenitea. 

My phone buzzed and it was Emma messaging me saying dinner was ready. This was it, my chance to find out the truth. Was Emma Serenitea, or was she just a super fan? And why does Emma not remember my name? I can do this!

I can’t do this. I walked into the kitchen and Emma was scooping ramen into a bowl. It smelled delicious, Emma was a great cook but her ramen was my favorite. “Hey, Emma!” I shot her finger guns as I sat down at the island in the kitchen. This was it, say her name so she’d say mine back. 

“Hey, you!” She shot back as she set down a giant bowl of comfort in front me. 

Damn, How could she so masterfully subvert my genius plan. Ok, time to take it up a notch.

“Aww you made my favorite, pog!”

Emma started giggling, “You’re so adorable.” 

Fuck, I started blushing again, damn it how does she do this to me? It’s like, one little comment and it makes me feel weird and warm and special. Ugh why does that make me feel this way but being called handsome and bro doesn't? What's wrong with me? Hmm, maybe I need a more direct approach. Though I’m not sure how to do that. 

“Hey, so um, I have a question.”

Her eyebrows raised. “Sure, what’s up?” She sat her bowl down across from me.

My chest was like a sidewalk being pounded into oblivion by a construction worker trying to drown out his thoughts. “So like, you know how you always call me cute, and don’t refer to me by my name?”

“Ooh we’re finally doing this.” Her eyes lit up and she kept severe eye contact with me.

“Finally doing what?” Did she know what I was going to say? How, I’m so good at keeping everything bottled up and shoved into a deep abyss inside myself. I’m a master of secrecy.

She waived her hand dismissively. “Nothing, please, go on.” She set her chin on her hand giving me her full attention as if anticipating something. 

I looked down at my bowl. “Well , I think I finally realized why you do that.” I was stirring my noodles trying desperately to keep my hands occupied. 

“I mean, I guess I don’t necessarily hate it, but I’ve been thinking a lot about it recently. You know I accept you no matter what and I want you to know that it’s ok. I know you forgot my name and tease me because you feel bad.  But that’s just your way of showing affection. I just wanted to say that you shouldn’t have to keep it a secret, my name isn't all that great anyways and I’d probably forget it too if it wasnt so stupid.”

I could tell by the dumbfounded look on her face I was right. I hate being so direct like this, but it was the only way to get the truth. Now I needed to double down and find out the truth to the real question. 

“While we’re on the topic of secrets, I also wanted to say. I also know you’re a super fan of Sereniteas.” It was better to suggest she was a fan. I wasn't certain if she was Serenitea, but if she was why would she call me a girl all the time? Plus it was better for her to come out on her own, people with secrets can be scared to admit things that seem obvious to other people. “You’re my best friend and I care about you. Plus we can totally hang out and watch the streams together if you want. I just want you to be happy.”

Emma sat there staring at me with a look that I could only describe as a mixture of agony, bewilderment, and like she just felt a piece of her soul die. Similar to the reaction of waiting years for a game that was delayed multiple times only for it to be released unfinished and unwanted by most of the players. 

She snapped out of her brain fog and ran her hands across her face. “I am Serenitea and you're a girl you dense bitch.”

Aha! I knew it! She was Serenitea. But wait, did she just call me a girl? This is not going in the direction I was expecting.

236