Chapter 9
2k 8 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 9.

 

    The walk back to the marina club went by uneventfully. Soon Sasha and I found ourselves in front of the master suite. In the few seconds, it took to pass from the front door of the lobby to the staircase, I got enough of an ear full of the snide sneering conversations from the nobles that had gathered in the dining area to know; that I wanted nothing to do with the nobles in this city. The last thing I wanted to do while trying to pass myself off as a noble was to interact with actual nobles. It seemed far too easy to make enemies of the nobility, and after the day I had, I didn’t think I could stomach them.

 

    I took the small silver key from my bag and opened the door. Soft orange light greeted me as I entered the large sitting room. I quickly made my way over to the comfortable chair and began to take my boots off. “Sasha, please come in and make yourself at home,” I said to the kitsune girl, who had taken up a position by the door. Ever since I had made the purchases at the book store, she had grown increasingly distraught, and now she looked to be on the verge of full-blown tears. 

 

    Sure enough, no sooner had the words left my lips when Sasha was in full puffy cry face mode, and she threw herself at my feet. Kowtowing with her head on one of my feet, she began to sobbingly say, “Please… pleases…master… don’t kill me… don’t reset me… please don’t reset my level…I promise… I promise I will try not to level any higher… I… I…” She was stuttering, and I had no idea where her distress was coming from.

 

    Finally, it became too much for me, and I had to get to the bottom of her terror. “Sasha…Sasha, I command you to calm down and stop crying. And sit up and look at me.” As I issued the command, I felt the magic of her slave bond take hold. I followed the magic with my mana sense and saw the changes that immediately took hold of her. Waves of hormones were simultaneously stopped, and then new ones were released. Taking her from a near state of panic to one of almost instant calm. Her tear ducts instantly dried up, and she sat back on the heels of her feet, looking me directly in my eyes.

 

    It was freaky how robotic the whole thing was; “Now explain fully, what are you so upset about?” I asked, giving another command.

 

    As if her words were being automatically ejected from her mouth Sasha began to say as if by rote memorization, “I was extremely excited that you decided to purchase me from Madam Bristol. Then when we were in the book store, I saw that you purchased the Revival ability. I tried to tell myself that it was only because you are an adventurer. But it is a quite common ability amongst the nobility and masters. It is quite often used to reset the level of slaves due to how it functions at low levels. The owner of the slaves kills the slave and then uses the ability to bring them back to life, usually in the most unpleasant ways. When I was younger, I had a master that liked to use the demi-human children as target dummies to help increase his skill in archery; he would say that it helped to teach us our place in the world. When someone is brought back to life with this ability, their level is reset to zero, along with all of their attributes. As well their skills and spells are all reset to the novice level. The only thing that does not change is abilities, though one will not gain new ability points until they have reached the level that they had previously died at.”

 

    “Sasha, I want you to return to normal now,” I said as I felt the magic of the slave bond reseed into the background. Small seeds of terror and fear began to blossom once again in her as I said, “I can promise you, Sasha, that my only intention with purchasing the resurrection spell was to help us on our adventures. I can assure you that I will never use the spell to reset your level. The fact that that’s something that is done in this world is absolutely horrific.”

 

    As I made my reassurances, I felt through the slave bond that the welling fear and terror in Sasha began to reseed. “Really, master Grayson?”

 

    “Yes, Sasha, now there are a few things I want to try. And are you willing to keep a few things about me secret?” I asked.

 

    “Of course, master. It is an intrinsic part of the slave bond.”

 

    “What I mean is do you want to keep my secrets. With or without the contract?”

 

    “I don’t know what you mean; it would be an honor to keep your secrets, master,” Sasha said, looking confused.

 

    “Very well then. The first thing I want to try is this. Sasha, I command you to be free of the slave bond.” I figured I would try something simple like commanding the slave bond to dissolve. Unfortunately, when I tried this, a blue box appeared hovering in the air between Sasha and me, and it read. [Slave bonds are unable to be dissolved]. After I had read the text in the box, it disappeared.

 

    “Master Grayson, thank you so much for the thought, but slave bonds are unable to be dissolved. Especially those bonds that hold Demi human such as myself in captivity.”

 

    “Well, I had to give it a try. If you haven’t guessed already, I am not from this world. I only arrived on this planet four days ago.”

 

    “Really, Lord Grayson. Now I understand Why the Goddess Amara showed you to me and told me that you were safe, you’re not even from this world. I have only ever heard rumors of such a thing being possible. I’ve never even met anyone, who’s met anyone, who’s met someone, from another world. Is that why you’re so nice to all the slaves?”

 

    “Nice, me, no? I suppose in a world like this, showing common courtesy would be considered kind. But no, I am not an especially kind man. Now considering you are the first slave I have ever owned, tell me, what are some of the common customs, practices, and expectations of a master?”

 

    “Well, for a nobleman of your standing and wealth, it would be expected of you to have an entire cadre of slaves. Though since you do not own an estate presently, no one would question why you only have one. The slave bond demands to be used, and it becomes extremely uncomfortable for the slave if commands are not embedded within the bond. For example, right now, you commanded me to return to normal. And though this gives me almost complete free will, there’s a building itch in the back of my mind that will eventually become very painful. Under this condition, I can think and do almost anything without repercussions, except for things like hurting my master, destroying property, harming myself, trying to escape, and things like that. So, it is customary for masters to give a set of basic commands that must always be followed. This tends to alleviate the bond usage pain.” Sasha said as it seemed she was still trying to follow some instinctual level of command.

 

    “So, it would actually help you for me to give you some open-ended commands?”

 

    “Yes, master Grayson.”

 

    “Well then, I command you that while we are not in public, you address me simply as Eric. When we are in public, you may address me as master Grayson or Lord Grayson. I also command you that when it does not interfere with anything else that you make yourself comfortable. How is that for a basic set of commands?” I said.

 

    “Those are some acceptable beginning ones, Eric. Though I will definitely need a few more if the bond is to stay satisfied. And they will have to deal directly with your satisfaction and how you want me to act and behave around you and others.” Sasha said as she got up from her knees and moved to sit in a chair across from me.

 

    “Are you hungry? I think I would like to order some food as we continue this discussion.”

 

    “Yes, I am hungry, and I do not want to be too much of a burden on you.”

 

    “Well, I do not find your company burdensome at all. Do you have any special dietary requirements?”

 

    “No… Just any basic fare will do for me.” Sasha said as she began to fidget with her hands nervously.

 

    “Nonsense, you will eat just as good as I do from here on out. And I will hear no objections on the subject either. Now take a look through the menu and decide on as much as you want.” I said as I grabbed a second menu that was in the holder by the door.

 

    After a few minutes of perusing through the menu, I had selected the items that looked most satisfying to me. After having asked Sasha if she had her selections ready, I pulled the cord by the door and waited for one of the maids to arrive.

 

    “Now, back to the topic of customs, practices, and general expectations of a master,” I said as I moved back to the seat.

 

    “Well, one general expectation is that if it is the desire of the master, they try and keep their slaves alive, clothed, and fed. It is also expected that slaves service any of their master’s needs. It is generally expected that male masters lay with their servants. Though it is generally frowned upon for mistresses to do so with male slaves. Female slaves are the exception, especially amongst the nobility.” Sasha finished saying this last bit, and there was a light knock at the door. Sasha shot to her feet and immediately rushed over to the door to answer it.

 

    Sasha opened the door as her four fluffy white foxtails, with blue tips, danced merrily behind her. With a sweeping gesture from her arm, she ushered a lilac-haired elf into the room. The woman’s eyes glowed the same lilac huge as she moved past Sasha and into the room. Standing in the black maid uniform, she asked, “What can I do or get for you, Lord Grayson?”

 

    “Yes, thank you, Sasha, and I will require food. The vegetable stirfry and chimera steak sound good for me. As well, have the chef select a bottle of wine to pair with the meal. Sasha.” I said, gesturing at Sasha to make her order.

 

    In a slightly hesitant, unsure voice, Sasha said, “I will have the vegetable stirfry as well along with the chicken. A white wine will do nicely with the meal as well.” Sasha said.

 

    “Very well, Lord Grayson. Is there anything else you would like for the evening, one of our human women perhaps?” The lavender-haired elf asked.

 

    “No, I’m afraid I do not have the energy this evening to be entertained. Perhaps tomorrow night will be different.”

 

    “Very good, Lord Grayson will bring your order up as soon as it is ready.” She said as she made a polite bow and exited the room.

 

    Sasha made her way back to the chair in front of me; she said, “It would normally be quite customary to request the services of at least one woman. So, I would suggest that you order two of the girls tomorrow evening in order to keep up appearances.”

 

    “I suppose you know best in this regard. I will keep in mind your suggestion for tomorrow night. Please continue.”

 

    “Yes, Eric. As you probably have seen from walking around, you may have noticed the contrast between the slaves and mistresses. It is quite common for noble ladies to dress their slaves in revealing and provocative clothing. The noblewomen tend to treat their slaves as pets. The stimulating attire they dress them in is designed to showcase their selection of slaves to a potential marital partner. It is also a sort of game between the noble ladies, though I do not know the rules or how they choose a winner.”

 

    “I’ve also noticed that there appears to be a lot more women than men?” I asked.

 

    “I suppose you would not know this coming from another world. But among the human population, there are usually 2 to 3 female births for every male. Amongst the Demi-human population, that number can vary wildly, as in some species, such as the star elves, there are ten female births for every male.”

 

    “Well, that definitely confirms that suspicion for me. I guess that’s why the noble women are trying to showcase their selection of slaves.”

 

    “Yes, it is; how was it on the world that you came from?” Sasha asked.

 

    “The number of males to female births was pretty equal on my world with about 51% of the births being male and 49% being female. If you rounded up.”

 

    “That’s amazing, so many men; I can only imagine how happy the females from your world were.”

 

    “Well, I’m not sure if you could categorize the entire female population’s experience as happy. There were definitely problems that I think you would find quite unique on this planet.”

 

    “Everything else is as I suspect you might think it to be. Slaves are expected to do the menial tasks, chores, and work assigned to them by their owners. Within the Empire, there are certain laws governing the ownership of slaves. But I’m not quite sure what those are. All I know is that it’s impossible for a slave to harm their master, and if they try to disobey an order, they begin to experience agonizing pain.” Sasha said as she seemed to relax into my company.

 

    “Is there anything that you dislike doing? I am very opposed to forcing you to do anything that you do not want to do. I’m actually feeling very guilty having slept with you back in Madam Bristol’s shop. Realizing now that you had little to no choice in the matter.”

 

    “Oh, don’t worry about that, Eric. Back in the shop, I wasn’t under any sort of compulsion. I did what I did of my own free will. When a master or mistress gives a command, if it’s posed as a question or a suggestion, it’s up to the slave if they are willing to enact it. Only direct commands create a compulsion. Though I was given the command to ensure that every customer was satisfied. If you had begun to show signs of unhappiness from your condition, I would have begun to feel the compulsion to help you. Also, when I realized you were the man the Goddess Amara had shown me, I wanted to do everything I could to try and get you to take me away from Madam Bristol.”

 

    “Interesting, so it was just the goddess then?”

 

    “Now, Eric, that’s much too easy. I got the feeling that you were kind, and I find you incredibly attractive. Had I resisted Madam Bristol, she probably would’ve commanded me to do it, and I wanted to enjoy the experience of my own free will.”

 

    “Well, thank you. It’s quite the compliment coming from such a beautiful woman. I want you to know, though, I will never be putting any stipulations or commands on you that will require you to lay with me. Is that understood?” I said.

 

    “Yes, Eric. But does that mean that you do not want to be with me? I wouldn’t mind you putting those commands on me?” Sasha said with an air of disappointment entering her voice.

 

    “Not at all, Sasha. I very much enjoyed you and would be more than happy to do the same on many other occasions. In fact, I’m giving you an open-ended offer right now; at any point in time you feel you want to, you are more than welcome to approach me.”

 

    “Really, whenever I want to?”

 

    “Really, whenever you want to. Also, if I ever make an advance towards you and you do not feel the desire to reciprocate that advance, you are always allowed to say no. Is that understood? In fact, I’m making that a command of it.” I said as I felt the command try and settle into the slave bond, a notification appeared.

 

    [ Slaves are not allowed to disobey their masters and do not possess the free will to say no. error… subject correct… within the slaver compact of the Tagin Empire the subtle indication of a master is considered a command and cannot be disobeyed… Mana bound articles number 12-C; 8-6.]  

 

    “I can’t really ever imagine that being a problem master Grayson, as well the system won’t allow that. But as you just heard, I used the formal address even though we are alone. That is because the use of a formal address is always permitted at any time the slave feels uncertain. So, I still do have limited free will; I just have to work within the slave binding framework the Empire has set up.” Sasha said as she playfully bit her bottom lip. “But thank you, all the same, I’ve never even heard of a slave receiving such bonded freedoms as you have given me.”

 

 

 

 

Chapter nine B.

 

    There was another knock at the door, and Sasha moved to open it. A dining cart and two maids entered, and we all moved to the dining room. I sat at the head of the table, and Sasha sat to the left of me. The maids unloaded the plates of food and set everything up, even lighting a few candles.

 

    The second maid that had assisted with the setup left, but the same lilac-haired elf remained behind and stood in the corner holding the bottle of wine. It was slightly unsettling having her hovering behind me, but I could tell it was an expected job she was to perform, so I went along with it. 

 

    “I can’t say I have ever had chimera before. How about you, Sasha?” I said, taking my first bight. I don’t know what I was expecting, but a gush of mouthwatering spiciness was not it. Every fiber of the muscle was infused with a rich smoked habanero flavor. Not overwhelming, but deep, with a heat that built until beads of sweat fell from one’s forehead; but never painful.

 

    Sasha eyed the elf behind me quickly and said, “No, master Grayson. When I was the young play companion of a noble family’s daughter, her father’s favorite dish was chimera stakes. They are quite costly, so I was never allowed to try any.”

 

    “Well, that’s a pity, here do you want to try some now?” I asked as I cut a piece and offered it to her, “It is quite spicy, so it may be too hot for you.”

 

    Sasha leaned over, sticking out her tongue, and removed the meat from the end of the fork. Her eyes widened as she chewed, and a deep red flush ran up her pale skin from the top of her chest all the way to her cheeks. A few beads of sweat collected on her neck, and the rosy flush evened out to tinge all of her skin. “That is quite good, my lord. It heats one up everywhere.”

 

    She was definitely right. I kept on eating, and when I ate a bit of a weird-looking blue vegetable, a tingling wash of cold trickled over every one of my nerves. Like a shiver after getting out of a pool on a hot day; Cold, before warming up almost instantly again. I was beginning to realize the prices on the menu might not just be for show. Because this was turning into a truly tactile dining experience.

 

    “This is quite a good meal, master. I don’t think I have eaten anything like this since I was quite young. Thank you.” Sasha said as she became more comfortable with the setting, almost like she remembered long-forgotten skills.

 

    “Not a problem. You mentioned you were a play companion; how was that?” 

 

    “It was quite wonderful for a time. Most nobles, while they are young children, have slave play companions that stay with them all the time. Kitsune are some of the more favored for this as we are quite affectionate when young and protective. Most of the time, this bond lasts lifetimes, with the play partner serving for life. Sometimes such things are not to be though….” Sasha said, trailing off. I could tell there was a lot more there but did not want to press her. As the pain in her eyes was evident. I was happy that she had shared this much with me. 

 

    Sasha and I continued to eat in partial silence. Exchanging amiable bits about the food and a few of her favorite things she had gotten to try. Though we stayed away from the topics of the past, letting the drastic changes of the day settle in for both of us.

 

Soon enough, the meal was over, and Sasha was beaming with happiness. The elf collected the dishes and put them on the dining cart, and left. I made my way back into the sitting room, where I collected my bag and moved into the bedroom, Sasha following close behind.

 

    “Sasha, would you mind if I went through your pack and checked your belongings?” I asked.

 

    “Not at all, Eric, you can review everything of mine,” Sasha said with a playful chime in her voice.

 

    She quickly removed her backpack and began to lay the contents out on the bed. She had one extra pair of shoes and a few selections of outfits. She had a couple stockings that would come up to her thigh, and though they were nice enough looking, it appeared that they had been repaired several times. She had the pair of shorts she was wearing earlier as well as another skirt and a pair of pants. She had a long night tunic and several tank tops, as well as a thick knitted sweater that was blue-and-white and would match the coloring of her hair perfectly.

 

    I noticed that she didn’t have any bras or brassieres to support her chest. She had several lacy panties in an assortment of colors, and though they were in good repair, they were definitely not new. As I went through things, I could see a flush of embarrassment fill her cheeks.

 

    “I’m not trying to make you feel bad or embarrassed, but we are most definitely going to have to get you some new things tomorrow if you’re going to be adventuring with me. Also, I want you to learn these two abilities and absorb these skill books.” I said as I grabbed the two ability crystals and skill books I had gotten for her.

 

    Sasha’s eyes went wide in shock as I set the books and stones on the dresser next to where she was standing. “Master Grayson, this is too much. No master would purchase such gifts for a slave. I don’t even… I can’t even… Why…?” Sasha began to stammer.

 

    “I have extraordinarily little care for what other masters may or may not do. But as long as you are traveling with me, I intend to make sure you are well taken care of. Most of all, you most definitely have to be able to defend yourself and me.”

 

    Sasha hesitantly picked up the first ability stone graceful Dodge and eyed me in astonishment. “You really want me to learn all of these?”

 

    “Yes. Now Sasha, don’t make me make it a command. I want you to learn graceful Dodge and precise strike. I noticed you had five ability points. When we get some more levels on you, you can level these up. Also, I got the skill books journeyman cooking, tailoring, short blades, and bows for you as well. You’re definitely going to need to know how to use weapons.”

 

    “Thank you, master Grayson. I mean Eric.” Sasha said as she picked up the first ability stone and absorbed it.

 

    We spent the next half hour absorbing the ability crystals and skill books. 

 

    I learned the journeyman longsword skill book. Which embedded a deep understanding in my muscle memory of how to use longswords of varying types. I was already insanely powerful with my magical abilities, and pairing those powers with the sword would make me that much more use full. 

 

    Sasha was also able to learn the shadow spell and the air spell. Though they only appeared to be at level 1 when she learned them. 

 

    Sasha was definitely going to have to spend some time leveling the spells, but I hoped it would provide her some versatility in combat. With the last of the skill books absorbed, the impromptu study session came to an end.

 

    The master bedroom was only illuminated by soft orange light coming from the chandeliers overhead. I was tired from the day and removed my new shirt, tossing it over the back of a chair. I moved to the bed sitting and said, “I think it’s time for me to get some sleep, Sasha. See you in the morning?” I said the last as a question but knew that I would. There was a small doorway off from the main room that led to the servants’ room, just a cramped space with bunk beds stacked to the ceiling. Each bed contained a single pillow and a thin blanket.

 

    Sasha looked at me with a nervous expression on her face and asked, “Would it be all right if I slept with you, Eric?”

 

    “I would be absolutely delighted if you decided to sleep with me. Is sleep the only thing you want?”

 

    With the delighted grin and smile on her face, Sasha said, “I think we might be able to eventually get to sleep….”

 

44