Chapter 69 – Clothes make the man
106 5 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

No one was going to buy Ithiel a weapon, but Ice and Huntsman could use one. They went to a dwarf’s store, Huntsman moving over to broadswords and Ice to knives.

Huntsman was strong enough that an axe would be an acceptable weapon, but he was too used to swords at that point.

Ice glanced down at the numerous knives and quickly selected a set used for throwing.

[Set of 5 throwing knives (Good quality)

Small and light, but very sharp. Let’s play darts with your body as the target!]

Ice checked the other values and hummed to himself. The damage was acceptable for the set, although their durability was a bit lacking. Ice picked it up anyway, continuing on to find a main weapon.

Ithiel walked next to him, curiously checking out the player-made weapons.

Three daggers ended up in the tighter selection. They were all about the same length - as long as his forearm - while material, damage, effects and everything differed.

[Rude dagger (Very Good quality)

For some reason, holding this dagger makes you feel like it disdains you.

  • Added poison chance per hit (max. 5%)
  • Has a chance of increasing corrosion on weapons it touches]

[Common hot dagger (Very Good quality)

Maybe don’t touch the blade directly. You can roast bread while cutting it!

  • Added heat damage to target (5-20% additional damage depending on target)]

[Beautiful dagger (Very Good quality)

Don’t you think so?

  • Durability decreases slowly
  • Lowered affection due to corrosive materials (-50%)]

On the side, Ice quickly scribbled a sketch on what the UI looked like, and read the text out loud for Ithiel. The elf looked incredibly confused, staring at the Rude Dagger in particular. “Why are these descriptions so odd?”

“They’re affected by the one who made them. Serious blacksmiths have more serious messages, while this one…”

“Ah. I see.”

Each dagger had its advantage. One would last long, one did good damage, one was a bit of a figurative double-edged sword - you did want corrosion on other people’s weapons, but it could also happen on any others you yourself carried…

Ice considered his situation. He didn’t want a weapon for a long time since his level was switching often, and the corrosive buff of the Rude Dagger was too troublesome.

In the end, he took the dagger with heat damage and went to the counter. Huntsman joined them, having chosen a claymore that was big enough to suit him.

“I love the descriptions here. Could spend all day reading them”, Bloody snickered, leaning on the counter. “I’m in love with the Arrow-to-the-knee Bow. Sadly I have no use for it.”

“Too bad, but I’m glad my humor is enjoyable”, the dwarf player laughed. “How rare to have a famous guest!”

“Do I get a famous discount, then?”

“Nope.” The dwarf snickered. “Five gold for the throwing knives, ten for the large knife. The claymore is seventeen. Thirty-two for everything.”

“That’s an ugly number. Why don’t we lower it to thirty?”

The dwarf squinted. “... Do I get an autograph and photo in return?”1I cannot BELIEVE that Bloody managed to get this throw right. The chance for the dwarf to agree was 1/5. I was prepared to write a whole haggling scene (1/3 chance of that happening).

“Huh? What for?”

“You can sell those.”

“...Fine. I don’t mind.”

“Thirty it is. Happy doing business with you.” The dwarf held their hand open and Bloody dropped the money into it.

The weapons officially changed ownership. Ice hesitated for a moment, then lifted up his shirt and strapped the throwing knives directly on his waist. His main weapon was kept on his back, a special belt holding it in place so he could draw it at any moment.

He straightened up, then paused in stunned silence at the sight of Bloody clasping his hands over Ithiel’s and Dead Rabbit’s eyes.

“God you are annoying”, Dead Rabbit cursed, well aware that his brother just didn’t want him to see his boyfriend’s naked abs.

“I don’t know what’s going on”, Ithiel chirped, laughing innocently. Huntsman was busy with his own weapon.

“Now it’s time for clothes and armor. That reminds me of something - Ice, how in the world do you manage to wear sleeves?”

Ice was easily the calmest beastman you’d find on the whole continent. He didn’t have any of the classic fidgety behaviour, and he was still wearing long sleeves. He was nothing like a beastman, really.

“I’m used to it?”

Ice personally didn’t think much of it.

They got into a clothing and armor store. Out of habit, Ice immediately insisted on a simple cloak - it was dark grey, nothing special at all, but he liked it. The rest was going to be more of an issue.

Huntsman either knew his cousin too well or he already had an idea on what he wanted, but he basically rushed through the store to gather his own outfit. A metal breastplate, high reinforced boots. His shoulders were bare, but he was wearing high gloves with likewise reinforced parts.

All of it was black, clashing strongly with his hair and scales. Ithiel honestly complimented the look: “You look good!”

Huntsman, obviously not used to compliments, stiffened awkwardly. He tugged at his clothes, looking content.

Ice on the other hand wasn’t allowed to choose.

Ithiel and Bloody took over the job, happily deciding for him.

First they decided to take his cloak away… or rather, forbid it as a part of his general outfit. Instead he was given something like a long scarf, which fluttered over his back (wasn’t this kind of troublesome for fighting?).

He got a leather armor over a simple white shirt, pairing it with fingerless gloves and all kinds of purely decorative straps. His belt had a number of little bags, and the dark pants had a hidden pocket. The sturdy-looking boots were unexpectedly soft and flexible.

Just as Ice was about to exhale in relief and take his time to check the numerous effects of the clothes… Ithiel tugged at his shoulder.

“Sit down, sit down!”, the elf commanded in his childish voice. Ice did as he was told, and Ithiel ended up fiddling with his hair.

The rough, messy fur was tamed under the elf’s hands. It was gathered up into a high, very fluffy ponytail, put together with a red string. A couple of pearls dangled down from the loose ends.

Unused to having a ponytail, Ice moved his head around and touched it carefully.

“Isn’t he just so handsome”, Bloody swooned quietly. Huntsman could almost see the comic hearts pop out of his cousin’s head, but for once… he felt it was okay.

After worrying over his cousin for such a long time, Huntsman was relieved to see that his newest boyfriend was just as much of a sweetheart as he had been told. He wasn’t the type to intervene in his family’s relationships, but if Ice had been like Woodcutter…

Well.

He wasn’t, and that was great.

Dead Rabbit still felt complicated about everything, but mostly about his brother’s behaviour. How hadn’t he known that his older brother would get so annoying when in love? Why had he been so different before?

The NPC elf missed the undercurrent, but he was also happy with the outcome. He gave Ice a thumbs-up.

Bloody paid for the outfits as well - it was impossible to convince him otherwise.

Pleased at their new sets, the group returned to the streets, discussing where to get a meal before buying some other necessary items.

On their way to a little restaurant, they slowed. Ice’s ears twitched, picking up the loud conversations.

If I came across the Rude Dagger in a game, I'd buy it because of the description.

Little Theater

Knife: looks down on you
Bloody: "How is it doing that."
Bloody: "It doesn't have eyes. It doesn't have a face. How is it doing that."
Dagger: looks down on you even more

9