Chapter Thirty-Eight
236 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hidden in the mountains, further to the east of Iris's house, there stood a girl just like her sitting on her knees on the grey-looking ground.

In front of Aurora, there remained a circle made of blood. In its center, a chicken was dead, missing its head. Both remained still and silent like the night. Her hands were smeared in the red and the entrails of the poor animal. 

Aurora had taken a copy of her twin memories, of all the legends and peculiar tales Iris had heard since birth. Fifteen years of information had been digested by the eccentric mind of the grimoire mysterious entity. Thus, there were certain things that she wished to test. With hopes of finding a way to make herself stronger, but more than anything, to free herself from the prison called grimoire.

"I sacrifice this flesh and blood..." her hands fell atop the circle, causing it to shine.

"Heed my call porter of my true name," she wasn't sure if it would work. Her soul had been stuck in the mirror for far too long. Perhaps she was all there was of her past, of a forgotten origin. And to her surprise, the circle shone further, and the meat became shrouded by a black smoke. Its smell was foul, like the blurry bizarre horned face that appeared in the grey mist.

"Who are you?" She asked, confused, for what had appeared was far from what her heart desired.

It laughed weirdly, delivering a quick sense of eerie to any who might listen. But Aurora remained unfazed. If anything, curiosity brimmed in her icy pupils. Not that the creature could see her, for it saw something peculiar, what appeared to be a talking book. Or even someone speaking while hiding behind the object.

"A demon," it added finally, causing a joint of wheels to rotate together inside the girl's mind.

She grinned coldly, feeling satisfied. There was something out of the ordinary right in her grasp. The thing she most lacked: information. Precise data which she could use to calculate her next move.

"A demon from the north?"

"Yes," it laughed, and the smoke disappeared, leaving no trace whatsoever of the offering, nor of their talk.

She grinned, not too disappointed with the outcome, "I'll need a bigger animal..."

From afar, on the other side of the river, a loud bark reached out for her.

"Not you silly," she disregarded her little sister's big dog as an offering. 

Despite the mysterious aura that surrounded her emotions and reasoning, it didn't seem that she wanted Iris to suffer.

Silently, without making much of a sound, her feet reached out for the river where she washed her hands.

The fish, some bigger than others, came to bite her fingers. There was no pain to be felt, as that body wasn't as real as the one Iris had. Instead, she remained expressionlessly looking at them. Soon, her palms turned to each other, and she descended them deeper into the water, allowing them to be caressed further.

Once they came to bite her too close, her fingers closed on each other, getting hold of a fairly sized fish who failed to escape her simple cage.

She took it out of the water and watched over it silently till it stopped making a scene.

Once there was not an extra breathe to be had, she crossed the river and fed it to the dog.

Unlike what it did to Iris, it didn't protest nor show any sign of denial. It did what Aurora told him to do without complaining by barking or by sitting on the ground in a lazy way.

The animal must've felt something out of the ordinary that it didn't with Iris. It also didn't dare play or jump on Aurora as it did to its favorite twin from the very beginning.

Respect was all it had, and that was something that surpassed even an ounce of fear of Luke.

"Let's go then," she added, as if believing the dog would understand, or possibly kill some of her loneliness. Perhaps both of them missed their owner, Iris, who was on an adventure all on her own.

As much as there was a danger to it, Aurora firmly believed that there was a great gain. And to ease some of her master's burden, she was out here seeking information through unconventional methods.

This had been the seventh thing she had tried while Iris developed herself through questing.

Aurora had decided to keep a low profile, leaving the library for the twin to check. Eventually, Iris would be able to search for more information in that place, hopefully finding something of worth. 

Meanwhile, she would try to find ways to become useful, to understand her new self. After all, it was not every day that people found themselves to be a floating book of sorts.

Especially Aurora. 

She had not always been a grimoire. This individual had once been far more than what many wished to be.

But who was she? Why was she sealed? Had she really killed a king? Who created the mirror? What magic was used? Was it a skill?

And above all, what was Aurora's goal?

It didn't take long for the little saint to make its way with the fish. After a bite or two, it had left it by the river.

"You're more into meat..." Aurora assumed based on the chicken head. It had taken a lot more time chewing on it than the latter.

"I get it. I too like it more, especially young lamb," she made her way towards the nearest ranch, leaving the pet behind.

Iris had taught it to stay by the house, to keep their home safe, and to bark at whoever was a stranger.

Even Aurora didn't seem to dare change that one order, for her new parents seemed to have been quite good to her master. Those who do good deserve great things to happen to them.

In the meantime, her feet dragged her across the darkened north woods. The dawn was starting to enshroud everything on her path, but such did not halt her pace.

She started to mutter certain names as she recollected some memories, looking at the sides, at the shadows that may have looked like silhouettes.

"Fafia, Teemo..." the list was excessively lengthy. For a human, it would have rendered their voice to a certain extent after a while. It would even dry their throats to the point of making them thirsty enough to drink from a pool of dirty mud.

It almost looked like she was trying to reach out for their attention. If they were dead, perhaps it was a way to bring peace to them, to show them that they hadn't been forgotten. If they once had something to do with Aurora's past, then, after being locked for thousands of years, it was likely that they were gone for good. That may include their souls, which were possibly gone into oblivion or whichever chaos such things belonged to.

An outsider might have looked at Aurora's way, willing to bet their lives on which emotion her eyes held. 

Were the sapphires in her sockets those that reflected sadness? Was it pain? Were they grieving alongside the mumbling of the names?

Perhaps if someone was there to ask her, we could get to learn of an astounding amount of despair and pain, of how tragic one's life in a magical world could turn out to be. Of what hell looked like when faced directly, reflected in one's very pupils.

But what was beyond her sky-blue windows? In her deepest sealed memories? Certainly, not even gods would dare to take a peek.

16