39: It’s back to school for Elon and Nola. A fresh new start for a fresh new life.
104 4 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Summer is over, time for me and Nola to return to school.  It's the second semester of our 11th year and every day gets closer before I leave my parents and enter the real world. But what about Nola? I worry about her. She gets good grades thanks to me, but she's average at best. Couple that with her parents being morons, I don't see her going to college. Her social anxiety is also cause of concern, I don't think she can get a job so easily. Thank goodness Dr. Rarity decided to stay for the remainder of the school year. I have a feeling that maybe she felt sorry for us, but whatever the case, I'm glad she's still here. That goes Heather too, who is now Nola's friend. I screwed up so she isn't my girlfriend anymore, but at least we can hang out again. She seems to really enjoy our company, though I have a feeling she just finds my family entertaining.

Things are changing now, and Nola's next. It first starts with her going to the bathroom by herself. This is going to be tough as I always went with her at school, but now she has to go by herself. Heather will help when she can but I just can't go into the girl's bathroom anymore. It's messed me up. Nola, please, if you love me, then you got to do this.

My dad honks the car in the parking lot and after getting off the elevator, we hop in.

"You got everything?" he asks.

"Yeah. we're ready." I say as I buckle my seat belt.

But then Nola asks, "Elon, why does your dad have to drive us? You have a car. I can drive too."

"Doctor said she wants us to spend less time together alone. You may get tempted."

"Tempted with what?"

"You know what, I just don't want to say it in front of my dad."

"Is that why I'm sitting in the front? Let me at least sit next to you."

She opens the door but my dad beings to drive, forcing her to close it.

"Sorry Nola," my dad says, "but Elon is right. I also think it's about time you start being more independent. Besides, I don't like how you're touching my boy, but I won't hold it against you if you control yourself moving forward."

"Elon, you still got to go to the bathroom with me, you know."

"Yeah, but you got to attempt to go first, and don't pretend either. Heather will be there to make sure you are trying."

"I don't like that Heather girl."

"She's your friend now, so be respectful."

"I never agreed for her to be my friend."

"She's the only person willing to be your friend. Unless you find someone else you approve of, she's going with you."

"But you still gotta come."

"Only after Heather approves of it."

"mmmmmmm"

We finally arrive at school. Nola and I get off the car an my dad waves at us as he drives off. Well, here we are, back in high school, with a fresh new outlook.

"You got your classes, right?" I ask.

"Yeah, but I don't know where they are."

"Look at the map."

"'Look at the map,' 'check the directory', 'ask a staff member'. You used to help me."

"Nola, things are changing now. You got to do things yourself now."

"MMMMMMMMM."

"Find the classes yourself this time. You got learn to do things yourself."

"Elon, why are you changing? Huh? Is it that Heather girl? I bet she's manipulating you to get rid of me so she can have you all to herself and  have you go to the toilet with her instead of me."

"I'm not going to the toilet with anyone. Besides, she broke up with me after that incident. She's never going to be my girlfriend now."

She gasps, "Does that mean... you are lonely and.. need companionship?"

"I guess I do."

Look at her, she's all giddy, "In that case... uh... uh... then maybe you need... someone whose been close to you... and... someone who will be there for you... no matter what?"

"Hmm... yeah. That's right. Do you have any idea who could it be?"

"Uh... yeah... someone really, really, REALLY close to you. Like, who will never leave you and... uhh... will let you peep whenever you want."

Real subtle, Nola. But it doesn't matter, looks like she's finally going to confess. This is good. We've been trying to get her to confess for so long. Maybe this is it.

"So who is it, Nola? Who is this girl you are describing?"

"Uhh... uhh... uhhhhh... uuuuuuuhhhhhhh..." Come on, Nola, just say it. "You know... you know!"

"I don't. Please, tell me, Nola."

"Uhhhhhhhh... oooohhh.... uhhhh....."

"Nola, just say it."

"Umm..."

*RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING*

"Oh, classes are starting!"

Ah man. The bell rang. She was about to say it too. Oh well, if not right now than any moment now.

"Well, Nola, I'm heading to my class."

"But I don't know where mine is. Help me find it."

"But I'll end up being late. You have have to find it yourself."

"Elon..."

I wave at her as I walk away, and of course she follows me. I'm not going to be responsible for her anymore. If she's late for her class, she'll have to deal with it. It's time for change and I'm going to be strict this time. I'm putting my foot down.

....

....

....

Oh no, the sad puppy eyes.

7