80: Nola settles the matter with Rudy without touching him, but she probably really wants to. Fight it, Nola. Fight your ill cravings. I swear she’s
68 5 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After so long of going through with this, I hope Elon can find his way in the future. He's lost now since he's been so attached to Nola for all this time that he seems to be incapable of coping without her. As I told him, this will take time. Time is the only remedy I can recommend, but even then, he's going to do some soul searching in the mean time.

And after so long, Nola finally enters my office after weeks of not visiting me. After all that turmoil, she must be confused. I'm glad she returned to speak to me.

"Nola, how have you been?" I begin.

"Did Elon tell you?"

"Yes. I'm so happy that you can now go by yourself. You are now on your way to truly being independent."

"But I don't feel happy. I was hoping that when I overcame this, that I would be jumping for joy or something."

That childish mindset of hers again. Only a kid would celebrate going to the toilet by themselves. Nola, you have a lot of growing up to do. "But you should be glad. This means that you can now prepare yourself for the future ahead."

"But what is my future? I'll barely be graduating. I got nothing to show for it, and my parents are not paying for college."

"I guess you should talk to the counselor about that, but you still have one year left and your grades are adequate enough for some vocational schooling."

"But not just that. I mean, what about socializing?"

"It's not so bad, Nola. You may need some counseling on that as well, you do act childish most of the time, but you can improve yourself, more so than you think. Speaking of which, I heard you made friends with Rudy."

"Yeah. He's not a bully, like people say he is."

"But how is he? Is he acting strange?"

"No. He's normal. He's perfectly normal."

"Are you sure about that?"

"He does joke around about toilet humor and poop jokes, but that's not bad... right?"

"I'm just curious about how's he doing. The thing is, he is the reason you can go, right?"

"Yeah but only because he asked to be my precious boyfriend."

"He did? Him?" Agh, for a minute, my professionalism escapes me. It doesn't matter how long I've been doing this, I sometimes am not prepared for these crazy reveals.

"Why do you got to say it like that?"

"Sorry. I didn't meant to belittle you. I guess I'll find out why he asked you when I speak to him. Don't take this the wrong way but I don't see a guy like him asking a girl like you out on a date."

"Yeah. Even he said that."

"He did?"

"He said he wanted to be my girlfriend, but at the same time he didn't find me attractive."

"That sounds counterintuitive."

"What does that mean?"

"That means that if he doesn't find you attractive, then you're the last person he's going to ask out on a date. You say you enjoy each other's company  right? What is it that he likes you as a friend?"

"Well, fart jokes, toilet humor, touching. Stuff like that."

"Touching?"

"Yeah. I give him some butt pats and he gives some back. I had to work with him, but now I got him to do it properly."

"Uhh... yeah..." No, this does not please me. I'm going to have to convince her to stop doing that. But for now, I just need information. "Nola, you know about his interest, right?"

"Yeah. He likes bathroom stuff."

"Well this is all from his grief. Apparently he's having trouble at home, his friend from elementary did these disgusting things to him, and then she died, leaving a void in his heart. I'm sorry to say but this relationship you are having, it's based on trying to fill a void, and since you are so comfortable with bathroom topics, he gravitated towards you because he can't relate to anyone else. Rudy needs help in mitigating this interest in toilet matters into something much more healthier and productive."

"You really think so?"

"Instead of doing toilet humor, you should have something in common with him that you can actually do in public."

"But I can't be his friend public. He has a reputation he is trying to hold. I'm just a dork. People will make fun of him if they find out I am his friend."

"Nola, you're 17 years old. In one year's time, high school will pass you by. The same for Rudy. The reputation here will be meaningless in the end. But if you really are so concerned in that short time period, then try to better yourself. You've already come this far, why not take it to the next level. Try to see your faults and see if you can fix them. Your social anxiety can go away, you can be an exceptional person to be around in, you'll make friends not based on things you got to keep a secret but because you are a person they wish to be around with. Only then, will you truly realize if you are truly friends with Rudy or not. I don't like this secrecy you are having with him. It'll just lead to dependency again like you did with Elon. It's time to finally reflect upon yourself and figure out who you really are and make friends of your own choosing, not because you lack choices. If you want to be friends with Rudy, don't be his friend because you have to, but because you want to."

I guess I got through to her as she was silent for a bit. She then spoke up, "You're right. I'll consider who I am and what I should do from here on."

Good. Nola, you're starting to get it now. The session goes on as we talk more about her issues until it was time for her to go home.

"Nola, tell Rudy to visit me. It's imperative that I speak to him. He's also a part of this. I can't help you and Elon without his cooperation."

"I will, doctor. Thank you." She gets up and walks towards the door, but not before turning around and saying, "You're not so bad, doctor." and takes her leave.

Well, thanks, I guess.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

== Nola POV ==

 

 

 

 

 

I told Rudy to meet up with me in the park. He eventually drives in but doesn't park because I'm going to talk to him in the car.

"What's going on, Nola?"

"Rudy, I'll be your girlfriend."

"What?"

"That's what you want, right? You asked me to be your girlfriend. Well, I accept."

"Now, wait a minute. I just said that. I didn't meant it."

"Well, I do. I'll be your girlfriend from now on, okay?"

"No. I don't want you as my girlfriend. I swear."

"Then why did you ask me? Why are you playing with my feelings?"

"Nola, please. I'm just going through some stuff."

"I know. You're like Elon, who kissed me after he rejected me. This is not right, to play with people's feelings. You have to take responsibility."

"Come on, Nola. Being friends is enough."

"But only in secret. Can't you tell your friends about me?"

"You know I can't. I got my-"

"Reputation. Yeah, I know all about that, but what about our future? What are we? Do we even have a future? Friends. lovers, or are we just using each other?"

"What are you getting at, Nola?"

"I want you to see the doctor."

"Forget about her. She's a bully like everyone else."

"She's not a bully, okay? Just like how people think you're a bully and you hate it, you're doing the same thing with her. Just like I was. I kept thinking she was mean and didn't understand me, but it was me who was being difficult, and so are you."

"Isn't this good enough, Nola? Aren't we having fun together in private? I mean, the things we talk about, we can't say them out loud, but we're having a good time."

"I'm not saying we can't have fun with toilet stuff, but I want to be social. That's why I asked Heather to tell me how to be more social. I can go by myself now, but I should've a long time ago. It's time I finally grow up, and that means doing things that people find acceptable, even if I don't like it. I'm too childish, I know that, but it's time to change. And if you don't want to change with me, then I'm sorry but, I probably won't be your friend soon."

Rudy looks a bit distressed after what I told him. He had to park the car before we continued, "What are you doing? I thought we were friends."

"If you want me to be your precious friend, then let the doctor help you overcome this. You can't keep holding on to these feelings forever. The doctor can help you."

"Why are you telling me this? I told you, I didn't even know why I asked you to be my girlfriend, but I didn't mean it."

"That's exactly it. You don't what you're saying, like I used to, and how Elon handles thing that situation when he kissed me. We don't know what to do with ourselves." We sat there for a minute in silence. I guess it was all sinking in to him, and me too. I then say, "Rudy, how about you help me exercise. You said I'm too thin and bony. Well, tell me what to do so I can look better."

"Sorry about that. You don't have to do anything. Like I said, I'm not attracted to you, I just like you because of the toilet thing."

"You can't depend on that forever, Rudy. So how about instead, let's get another interest. You like to work out and play sports, right?"

"Yeah."

"Then I'll work out too and Heather will teach me to play soccer. I need to impress people, right? I need to find a boyfriend, right? Well, then help me look better. You said I needed to grow my hair? Okay, I'll do that. You said I need a healthier diet? Then tell me what to eat."

"You're willing to do all that?"'

"Yeah. Because... as you said. You want to be proud and tell people that I'm your friend."

"I said 'girlfriend', not 'friend'."

"Still, it would be nice if you could introduce me to your friends.. Maybe... just maybe... I can find a boyfriend that way. And maybe... you know... you can ask girls out yourself, instead of waiting for them to ask you out.. I mean, I'm not a doctor, but I think you really want a girlfriend, but you're not going to find anyone else whose into nasty things like you are. Even I won't do the stuff you want to do, and I'm so far the only person you can confide in. Come on, Rudy. It's time to end this."

He takes a short breath and breathes it out before. He turns on the car and drives off before he says, "Working out is hard, especially for someone like you who hasn't done it. Are you willing to do it?"

"Yeah. I am."

"Then... okay. I'll see the doctor tomorrow."

2