Chapter 46 Irje
8.1k 85 216
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Albin! You fool!” Aikerim voice thundered in the room, drowning out the crunch of the popcorn, “By the Three-Horned Gods, do you have any idea what you have brought into my Manor? Do you wish to doom all of us as well?!”

“Of course I do,” He replied unperturbed, with his mouth full, “It is a perfect solution to his problem.”

I perked up, slowly pulling my hand out of my pouch.

“A solution that would ruin my Manor!” Domina roared, “I have no idea why you have it, and if it is even yours, to begin with, but I have no desire to face the Divine Punishment for your acts of heresy!”

“I have it because it is a Gift,”

A single word forced her jaw shut with an audible click. Anger and fury were quickly replaced by apprehension. The fear remained throughout.

“Um, can I get a little disclosure here?” I spoke out. Whatever that Orb was, it was something really significant to put even my own Domina in such a state. Religion was somehow involved too.

I knew it wasn’t immediately harmful, Aikerim’s words about Manorial relations weren’t just a boast about the stability of Emanai, It was the ‘Decree of Gods’ with all that it could entail. Obviously, there were ways to circumvent it, but it was done through intermediaries like Collectors or other hired help.

I didn’t know what caused it but, most likely, the wermage vs wermage battles grew so devastating to the country that the law was put in place to limit the potential damage. And I could see the reason behind it too - judging by Anaise’s accidental show of power, each wermage was akin to a tactical nuclear warhead. Losing an entire city due to two Dominas duelling for a prized male would be stupid. If not outright lethal for an entire country.

But that didn’t mean they couldn’t fight verbally, and I couldn’t successfully interfere unless I knew more about what was going on.

“This,” Albin rolled the orb on the table with his finger, “Is a way to get your family now.”

Fully illuminated by the power within, the difference between it and the Orb of Truth was even more striking. Instead of the occasional symbol, dozens of them would dance on top of it, pulsing to some unknown rhythm like a veil in the wind, or flickers of magical fire.

“Do you think that I would risk my Alchemist to some harebrained plot?”

“What would you do instead, then?” He pressed her back, while still crunching on popcorn, “Keep him locked? Wait until the next batch of Collectors would make themselves known? Will you be able to save him then? What about his family — no matter what you think this is the best method to get them. Safe, simple, and with a maximum chance of success. The problem is — it isn’t your solution.”

Aikerim seethed, yet didn’t rebuke his words.

“Look,” I intervened once again, “Would you stop talking in hints and actually state what the plan is, and then we can all come up with a compromise that is beneficial to all sides?”

“Ruin my fun, will you,” Albin pouted, “But my words about your sadaq are true. I want them here so that they will learn of it in this room from me, and not later and somewhere else. This Gift is a powerful thing, and knowledge of it should never be casually spread outside of the Sphere’s influence. You won’t keep them in the dark but doing so outside of the safety of this room would be…ill-advised.”

Ah. His penchant for muting the crowds whenever we spoke. No wonder he could leisurely discuss certain delicate topics with wandering murks.

“What is its general effect, however?” I asked nevertheless. He hadn’t let me down before, but that was between us. I had no desire of risking others for my own plans.

He smirked.

Irje

“This is a Sphere of Negation.”

She shuddered, hearing these words. Not because of the name — it meant nothing to her, but because of who spoke it. The Domina was strong and the Lady of the House was quickly approaching her in power. Yet the shine of both was dwarfed by the glowing Spark of the Speaker in front of her.

Irje knew very little about him, apart from Erf had somehow managed to earn his attention. Considering Erf, unsurprisingly. And the toy too, but she chose not to think about that part too much.

But it was one thing to know of a Speaker of Shebet, and another to be in his presence. Albin Chasya radiated power, both magically and with his presence. Very few could be at ease in the presence of an incensed Domina, within her Manor no less.

Apart from her idiotic lover. Apparently, his love for snacks had clouded his mind once again. Erf was busy trying to pilfer whatever sweets the werdrake held in his arms.

She would need to smack some sense into him later, in private.

In the meantime, Irje hugged Yeva closer and kept listening.

“The effect is somewhat similar to the Flow Shackles, but while these block the Flow from within, the Sphere blocks it from without. It might not be an ultimate defence against all spells, but it will easily disrupt ones that rely on precision.”

He smiled and turned to look at Erf. “Something like scrying.”

Her lover blinked, “Allowing you to act without fear that someone will learn of it with magic later.”

“Indeed,” Albin Chasya spread his arms, showing his travel garb, “And a Speaker of Shebet has an urgent trip, one that passes through the lands belonging to the Chimgen Manor.”

“You are trying to trick the Gods with their own Gift!” Aikerim Adal cautioned the two fools.

Irje agreed with her there. While it sounded like it could succeed, the consequences would be extremely dire.

“And that might be the reason it was given to Shebet, to begin with. And if they take offence — I am betting myself and my whole Manor on it. A single murk slave that would travel with me wouldn’t even warrant a second glance.”

“What do you mean a single slave?” Irje spoke together with Domina. She said it with unease, yet Aikerim Adal said it with…relief?

“I am damn sure that I am coming with him!” She huffed. Yeva nodded in agreement, she was rather reserved in the presence of three wermages but, with Irje’s arms around her shoulders and Erf nearby, she had found some strength to start voicing her opinions. Even if it was done in such a quiet way for now.

The horned werdrake turned his face toward her, “Did you enjoy the present? You are welcome, by the way.”

Irje flushed red but kept glaring at him. She was Erf’s Prime — she already saved him once from the Collectors and she would do so again.

A fluffy piece of the unknown snack bounced off Speaker’s face.

“Behave,” Erf’s arm went around them, “Don’t tease my sadaq. That is my task.”

Albin Chasya barked out a laugh and shook his head. Anaise Hilal huffed somewhere nearby.

“That is the reason why I wanted your sadaq to be here,” He glanced at the Lady of the House, “Because the Sphere can’t protect all. It would shield me as its owner. Or a murk that is already barely noticeable in the Flow of magic. Not another wer and especially not a wermage. We could take her. Yeva, right? But I will be honest, she will slow us down.

“A good plan is a simple plan. And a fast one too. We go and then we come back. All who know of this are in this room,” He crossed his arms on his chest and looked over the room, “And all here are very interested to see it succeed without any problems.”

“And what would happen next, when you do come back?” Aikerim Adal asked the most important question.

“Well, you would pay me back the expense of the purchase. Or Erf would likely do so himself, eventually. I don’t expect to spend that much.”

“And you expect me to believe that you would simply do it out of your own good will? Do you really think I am that naive to accept a free offer from you or indebt myself to your Manor?”

“Good will?” He blinked, “What kind of historian do you think I am? I expect quite a tale from him in return for the services rendered!”

Domina groaned and slapped her head. While Irje, and Yeva in her arms, quietly exhaled. And so did Anaise.

No wonder Erf had been treating him like an equal. She could see something similar between them. Some drive for something more than simple wealth or power. Or, perhaps, it was the same sickness of the mind that affected them both.

Perhaps he was also a daimon.

Irje felt something pooling down in her stomach while Domina kept making sure that Speaker was true to his word. And it wasn’t the magical sickness either. Depletion, was it?

Despite her height and strength, she felt too small right now.

Albin Chasya chose to forgo his sash so she couldn’t tell how influential he actually was, but Irje didn’t need to. And this Power of a person was someone, that Erf considered an equal to himself.

And from the way that both conversed with each other, so did the Speaker!

All that Irje was but a simple wer. She stopped one Collector, but not until the other lodged a knife in Erf’s chest. Winning by surprise no less. Her greatest achievement was in seeing the raw talent of gold in the mud and holding it dearly.

Irje wasn’t naive to the world. She already had to give up her sole position, knowing that the time will come when someone will take it for herself. And not a moment too soon, for in just a matter of days after Domina had heard of their sadaq, her own daughter decided to lay claim on Erf. And judging by her thunderous appearance, the Lady of the House did not appreciate being told ‘no’, nor would she simply back off either.

And now the Speaker. Irje could see that he was treating both her and Yeva with respect, Albin Chasya was one of the few wermages ever to properly return their greetings. Informing them that they were important enough in his eyes, lips, and heart.

But she could clearly see that said respect was given due to her husband.

Irje could accept not being the sole wife in a relationship. What she could never accept is to be treated as a Prime in words only. Like one of the pets some wealthy had. They were fed and dotted for in excess and lived lives of extreme luxury. Yet they also grew lazy and fat, unable to catch mice or warn about the intruders. A mere shadow of their former selves.

Something that she was already becoming right here.

There was no laziness on her part, well not a lot really. Nor did she partake in gluttony — Erf was eating three portions for each one of hers! But not succumbing to the life of luxury was no longer enough. She had to grow stronger. Much stronger so that the wermages that Erf kept company to would treat her by the position she took.

The Prime of the sadaq. The guardian and the protector.

Right now she felt like a cub. Trying to hiss and mewl at passing horses.

“Very well,” The voice of Domina had pulled her away from bitter thoughts, “Despite the sheer lunacy of your ideas, I can concede that the possibility of success is there. And I would not be a generous master if I didn’t nurture those that are under my command. Especially when it is about the well-being of his family. Moreover, his absence from my Manor would allow me to concentrate on capturing those who dared to betray my hospitality already.

She frowned, “Same goes to you, Albin Chasya of the Shebet Manor. Know that all will know of the Gift in your possession if something happens to him, and I will use the whole might of Kiymetl to see you suffer.”

Aikerim Adal turned around and faced them fully, “So? What say you?”

Erf scratched his head, “You can guess my answer already. While the power of the Sphere is not something that I can grasp fully, especially the religious aspect, he had managed to convince even you of its effectiveness.

“But this is no longer my own choice to make either,” He glanced at them and smirked, “So will you let me go out on a scenic walk with my buddy Al over here? To the nearest farm Manor, there and back.”

Said ‘buddy’ once again found his familiarity quite entertaining, especially to the scandalous faces of both Kiymetl wermages.

Irje struggled to answer. Once again she had found herself desperately clinging to the mane of a flying gryff. Unable to control its rise into the clouds. The fear of the unknown future begged her to tell him to slow down. Not to leave them behind. But she refused to voice that part.

Because she feared even more that he really might.

“Go,” Yeva interrupted her struggles. Speaking out loud the word that got stuck inside her throat, “Go and save your family, my love. And then come back to us.”

Her arms wrapped around the tiny frame in silent thanks.

“I will. And then I will rush back.” Erf joined in their hug.

He glanced to the side, and Irje followed his gaze to see Anaise Hilal standing on the side. Her tail twitching back and forth.

“Come back to this Manor,” She spoke for the first time, “Or never show your face here ever again.”

He nodded, “Of course, my Lady. Kiymetl has been good to me, and I would never forget the generosity given to me. Especially with Sophia around, no offence Albin.”

Speaker shrugged, “None taken. In fact, I would prefer it to stay this way. Our conversations have grown much more…illuminating, once the shackles of social standings were off. Entertaining too, Gods know that I've got too many lackeys already. Eager to kiss my sash and nod with every word I say.”

Erf turned back to Domina and bowed, “I thank you for your acceptance and support. And I am looking forward to all the projects we can do, once I get back.”

She huffed and waved her tail at him, “Then hurry up and go, there is no need to waste time on flowery speeches between us.”

“Right,” Erf nodded, “Albin, when should we leave then?”

Albin smirked, “Have you forgotten what I said in the beginning? We are leaving now. I didn’t come here to inform you of this. I came to take you with me. The Sphere is too important to simply walk with it for a visit.”

“The way that you worded it, you came here to annoy everyone, myself included.”

“A person shows his inner self most clearly when he is surprised. It was quite interesting to observe you, Erf.”

Erf frowned, “And what did you see?”

“Death,” A sudden change of Speaker’s tone sent shivers down her back, “There will be death in your future. Unlikely that it will be yours, judging by the recent events. But don’t expect to keep your hands free of blood if you wish to protect ones that are important to you.”

The Arksite-coloured eyes glanced in her direction, and Irje reeled back. Struck by his insight.

Erf sighed, “I knew that. As soon as I’ve told you about social collapses I knew that there would be no way back. My words will affect the Emanai, one way or another, for better or for worse. And it is quite possible that someone somewhere will die due to the things I will say or do in the future. I just have to keep telling myself that my actions are just, or have others that would make sure that I would not go astray.”

XXX

The conversation fizzled out after that, with none really willing to continue after final comments.

Aikerim Adal had found herself busy reading a scroll that Erf wrote, deep in contemplation. While Erf himself was sent out to change into something more comfortable for riding as well as staying unseen from passers-by.

Driven by Speaker’s demands, the rushed packing was quickly turned into an emotional farewell. And then Irje found herself watching the cart disappearing past the Manor’s gates as she hugged Yeva closer once again. They understood that he would be back, but this was the first time since he came into their lives that they would be separate for this long.

“Thank you,” She said, “For speaking the words that I could not.”

A tiny hand caressed her arm, “I know you could, I was just a moment faster. And I know the feeling — he is almost scary sometimes, that husband of ours, in his reach for greater and greater heights. One is bound to yell ‘slow down!’”

“Yet you didn’t, you urged him on instead.”

“I am not you, Irje,” The lithe girl bitterly smiled, “I don’t have your strength nor his knowledge to keep up. I learn a lot from him with every day but that only allows me to chase him not to walk in stride yet. But, like you, I do not wish to be useless. So while I can’t protect him, I will support him. And I will wash his worries away.”

She turned her head toward the faint sound of the disappearing cart, “Hopefully I will have enough wisdom to steer him away from most reckless actions. And when he comes back, I will let him rest his tired head on my lap and welcome him home.”

“You don’t think this is reckless? He is trying to possibly change the fate, divined by the Gods themselves.”

She shook her head, “I am a murk, Irje. Whatever fate was written in the sands, it ignored our plight. I might not be as daring as Erf is, but I won’t stop him when he works so hard to keep his family safe.”

XXX

She didn’t have pleasant dreams that night, waking up in the morning with Yeva desperately pulling her closer. Irje gently woke her up and left the bed, stretching. The familiar sickness was there, but she didn’t feel happy about it.

It was not enough.

Quickly getting dressed, she left the room to face the chilly morning. Her walk grew more and more steady with every step that she took. Back to the familiar slave quarters. To the room, she once called hers.

Viter opened the door, still getting dressed for the day ahead, “What can I do for you?”

She glanced down on his naked chest, and a multitude of old scars on rugged skin, and nodded to herself.

“Viter, you have been a fighter slave before you came here, right?”

“Perhaps I was,” He answered warily, “Why do you ask?”

She sighed and looked him in the eyes.

“Teach me how to fight.”

 

 

 

Sorry if the quality isn't stellar. I was trying to edit this chapter today but could barely do much due to being sick. But I decided to post it not to stretch the wait even longer. There might be a full body picture of Irje and Yeva posted later on discord (Tou channel seen in my info) once I feel better if anyone is interested. I would post here but it is technically nude so I don't wanna break the rules.

216