Chapter 3 – Work, Work, Work!
109 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I took a deep breath as I stared at my reflection in the mirror, looking intently at my appearance. I was wearing some nice clothes… I think?

There was a white button-up shirt covering my upper body and a fitted black pencil skirt clipped on my waist. Though I didn’t wear any additional coats or vests, I think I looked fine? My shirt and skirt were ironed well, no creases were obvious so, I think it’s okay?

Uh… Do I need to put make-up?

Crap, I’m not used to these kinds of things… Hmm…

I looked at the vanity mirror and narrowed my eyes at the items on the drawer. Sitting on the chair next to the mirror, my eyes still sternly gazing at the manufactured goods inside pretty cases. I think I should put on some make-up, even if only a bit of foundation.

After putting on some make-up, I smiled slightly and sighed in relief. Thank goodness for Mom teaching me these kinds of stuff.

Satisfied with my look, I decided to leave my room and finally go to work.

Though, before I could leave the house, I was halted by Uncle Clark, his brow raised in a questioning tilt. Somehow feeling embarrassed at being discovered, I smiled sheepishly.

Honestly, I never told anyone about applying for work, because I knew they wouldn’t allow me. At all. So, instead of listening to them, I just didn’t tell a soul about my plans and just pushed through it.

Since the very moment they knew about my condition, Dad, Mom, and the others just literally caged me in this house and stopped me from doing anything I want, which was very frustrating. But I didn’t blame them and even accepted my confinement. I understood why they were acting like that. It was for my own good even. But after being stuck like that for so many years, I just… snapped. So, here I am, being a rebel and doing whatever I want.

Thankfully, my parents allowed me this opportunity (albeit with great reluctance) to have this liberty after so many years of being confined. I was very thankful to them.

“Good Morning, uncle.” I greeted warmly, trying hard to not show how tense my body was in front of Uncle, which of course, I was terrible at. I laughed nervously.

Uncle Clark smiled, but somehow, I could feel a scary atmosphere surrounding him. His smile looked just a tad cold and… terrifying. “So, Miss Clarice?” He started, making me jump slightly in apprehension.

“Y-Yes?”

“In this early time of morning…” He walked silently. “I wonder where Miss will be going…?”

“U-Uh…” I stuttered as I averted my eyes from the scary gaze of Uncle Clark. Suddenly, my mind was in disarray, I couldn’t think of anything decent in response!

“I’m going to meet my friends!”

Obviously, I’m not a good liar. I smacked myself inwardly. Of course, to meet some friends! As if I knew where they were now?! I shrieked inside my head.

Uncle Clark’s smile looked like it became scarier…?

“Let’s talk for a bit, Miss Clarice.”

Eep.

~~~~~

Fortunately, I was permitted to go. Only after so many limitations and warnings, though. I sighed.

“After finishing work, immediately return home.”

“If you’re going out, please arrive home before 8 p.m.”

“Don’t eat from questionable stores.”

“No following people you just met.”

“Don’t easily believe people asking for money.”

“Listen to--”

I’m not a child! I’m a full bonafide adult! Sheesh!

~~~~~

Arriving at the company, I immediately went to the lobby and traipsed towards the reception counter. Fiddling with my bag, I opened my mouth to ask for information, but unfortunately, my throat constricted and no sound came out.

Damn i—ack, no cursing! I need to calm down!

The female before the counter looked at me in concern. “What will you be needing, miss?” She asked gently, her voice very soft and melodious, somehow calming my apprehension.

“A-Ah…” I stuttered. “I’m a new employee…” I trailed off.

The eyes of the female in front of me sparkled and grinned widely, clasping her hands together in excitement. “Are you Miss Clarice Martinez?” She giddily asked. I nodded, confusion written all over my face.

When she saw me nodding, she suddenly squealed gleefully and stood upright, reaching out a hand. “May I please shake your hand?!” She shrieked.

What. The. Fu-!

Calm down, don’t swear, Clarice! Remember, you are an elegant lady that doesn’t swear!

But what the hell is going on?!

How did it turn into a situation like they were seeing a beautiful woman for the time? Don’t judge me, I am fabulous. No one could make me think otherwise. Fite me.

No! Clarice, remember. You’re an elegant lady! Such ladies have no violent tendencies!

Taking a deep breath to calm myself, I cautiously reached out my hand back, twitching up the upper corner of my lip to somehow make an accommodating smile. I shook hands with her and she shrieked once more. Holy sh- cough! This girl is batshit- cough! She’s insane!

She looked at her hands like it was held by a Goddess and marveled. She put on an extremely satisfied smile, which kind of creeped me out (Duuuuude). She then motioned me to follow her as she walked away from the counter and went towards the elevator area. Looking back at the counter, I noticed that some of the people there looking at the woman in obvious jealousy.

Let me reiterate, what the hell is going on?!


Same as always! Edited by Hammy! 

4