V1C2 – Search for an Answer
4.2k 6 87
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's been a few weeks since [First Contact] and I begrudgingly sat up and put on clean clothes. It's time for my expedition to restock on food and water. According to the government, all services had effectively shut down at the beginning of the [First Contact] (including school) but a few are becoming open again because the situation regarding [Curses] is safer. There is one sole reason for this, and that is the existence of [Magical Girls].

The concept of a 'mahou shoujo' should be familiar to many who appreciate Japanese culture, but these are a tad bit different. Young girls and only young girls, chosen by mysterious creatures known as [Focals] are granted strange powers akin to what we think of as magic and so we call them [Magical Girls]. Real [Magical Girls] don't transform to wear flashy costumes, they wear completely normal clothing. They also don't have wands, well some might. By that I mean [Magical Girls] are given the ability to manifest tools that take the shape of real weapons. Examples would be swords, wands, guns, armor, etc. They are also given a boost in physical ability as well as supernatural abilities making them superhuman. These [Magical Girls] are for the most part associated with the government since most governments take them in immediately after they become a [Magical Girl]. This is to cultivate their talent and fight to preserve safety in the country.

Right now, it seems [Magical Girls] are our only defense against [Curses] so humanity has no choice but to put faith in them. It may be because I haven't met one or because I became a hikikomori upon [First Contact] but the whole deal about [Magical Girls] sounds troublesome to me. In the first place, what even are [Focals]? How do they give girls special powers? Why? What even are [Curses] and why are [Focals] fighting against them? Well, these questions are not ones for me to consider. I just need to pass on by discretely and obtain food to resume avoiding the world fighting desperately.


With a fresh set of clothes and my phone to alert me from the sighting of [Curses], I take off for the recently reopened supermarket. Hopefully, they still have ingredients in stock since I'm getting tired of instant noodles. After stepping outside the apartment, I see a gaping hole in the side of the building...

...when did that get there? I averted my eyes and headed down the empty road. Maybe the reason the landlord didn't come was because of that. Or maybe they left the country? It was probably made by a [Curse], was there really one that close to me? I didn't notice at all...

Anyways, it's quiet, and eerily so. I guess most people are in their houses or bunkers hiding from [Curses]. I single-mindedly walk towards the supermarket and fasten my pace. I'm currently wearing a pair of sweatpants, sneakers, and a sweatshirt all colored in varying shades of black. I have to say, I look really suspicious but that doesn't matter right now. Without an incident, I arrive at the faded sign of the local supermarket. 

Upon entering, the familiar," Welcome," couldn't be heard despite there being someone at the register. It's not like I particularly needed that but I was thrown off a really small bit. I began wandering and browsing through the isles, picking out my preferred ingredients. There wasn't a lot but enough for me to be a bit choosey. I can cook decently on my own as well so I won't fill up on instant noodles...too much.

After a quick session of picking out what I needed, I headed to the counter in a hurry. The unenthusiastic voice of an employee who definitely doesn't want to be at their job right now oozed from the other side. I paid in exact cash and briskly walked out the door with my acquired loot while thinking about how easy that was. 

I turned the corner and began on the same way back to my apartment. The sky had slightly darkened but not enough to hinder my visibility.

[Curses detected in your area. Please evacuate immediately or stay indoors.]

Is what displayed on my phone as it haphazardly vibrated when I nearly arrived at my apartment. I quickened my pace and broke into a sprint. There's no way I'm going to be a victim to [Curses]. As I ran, the alert didn't stop, which was strange since it should stop when you get further away...unless...

I realized it too late when I arrived at my apartment. A large black bear with pulsing skin and crimson eyes turned to me menacingly. This is, a [Curse]. It's too late, I can't run anymore. My legs weaken and buckle as I suppress my urge to fall flat on the ground. I drop the groceries I had just obtained since they would just be a nuisance. Should I call the authorities and see if any [Magical Girls] are nearby or can show up? I pull out my phone hastily and furiously began swiping...

...but the screen remained black. It had run out of battery. It was working just a moment ago though!

"F*ck!"

I cursed my own carelessness. I had it always plugged in usually so I had never needed to worry about the battery...but now in the one time I need it most, it's dead. I bit my quivering lip tightly and resolved myself to run. But, I was too late.

"GRROOO!!!"

The dreaded monster roared and pushed its hindlegs backward. Accelerating at a terrifying speed, it caught up to my back in an instant.

"AAHHH!!!"

With its razor-sharp claws, my back became torn like damp paper and I coughed out deep red while stumbling forward. Looking at the color which should not be on my hands, my eyes became bloodshot and parts of my body lost power. I knelt on the ground pathetically for a second and immediately stood back up. If I die here, it's the end. The thought echoed through my mind, losing meaning each time it resounded.

I tried to run, but it ultimately became a fast walk, away from the [Curse] but the bear was way faster than I could ever dream to be. With another slash, it tore off my arm easily. Searing pain assaulted both my arm and back now, I'm likely to die from blood loss even if I somehow escape this situation. I doubt anyone would save me or even be able to save me now. If I could live, that would be a miracle. However, I don't believe in these miracles. Where was a miracle when my parents died suddenly? Where was a miracle when my carefree life was stolen? What point was there to my life in the end? Now, I'm just going to die. It's laughable, how I haven't found the answer yet...dad...mom...Airi...I don't understand. Also, I'm sorry...but I'm giving up. See you soon...

The bear stood in front of my body which was now on the floor in a dyed red puddle with its arm extended outwards going in for another slashing motion. I closed my eyes and resolved myself for death. So, this is how it ends? Then, a voice, cold as if stopping time spoke to me,

"Young boy, do you want to be saved?"

"...of course I do. I still have things I want to know..."

"Yes, that is within my calculations. What is your name?"

"A-Akito Harada."

"Akito Harada. The birth of a new hero is upon us."

"A...new...her...o?"

My voice began to falter and my consciousness started fading, my body won't hold out much longer. Then, a high-frequency pop blasted in my ears in an instant. The next thing I heard, was the sound of a towering bear falling to the ground lifelessly. Shivers went down my spine as I imagined what had happened. Then, though I couldn't see, I felt the being get closer. But, I didn't have the luxury to be on guard anymore. As if it ensured my safety and my will to live, I fell into the darkness of deep sleep while entrusting it all to the voice who saved me. 

87