V1C3 – The Focal’s Whims
4.1k 30 87
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I opened my eyes slowly and sat up at the same pace. I immediately recognize that this is my room. Was I carried here? I hurriedly check the last thing I remember, a [Curse], nearly dying, a voice...

"Have you awoken?"

The voice had the same cold tone but a bit more casual this time. I turn towards it reflexively. In that spot, was a creature known as a [Focal]. The ones that gave humanity a chance, who awakened the [Magical Girls] of the world.

"A-Are you a [Focal]?"

"Yes."

What should I ask first? My mind began nervously racing.

"Why did you save me?"

"For a lot of reasons, the main one was because I deemed you worthy enough to receive my power."

"Receive your power?"

I can only think of one thing. Is he talking about me becoming a [Magical Girl]?

"No no no, I think you're mistaken. I'm male you know!"

"Yes, that is a problem."

I rub my temples slightly. After a pause, the [Focal] spoke again,

"So, you're going to become a girl."

"..."

I might not have a choice when faced with my savior but I don't think I'm willing to become a girl so suddenly when you put it like that. I could imagine the [Focal] creasing its brow (which it doesn't have) at my silence. The [Focal] looks like a compressed black fox but with rounder features and a lifeless face. Its eyes are especially creepy, like a surveillance camera.

"I think this will make it easier."

The [Focal] flew up to me, it seems that they can freely move through space...

It touched my chest area and began to concentrate. Just now noticing it, but my arm is back and the wound on my back seems to be completely healed. I wonder what kind of power made sealing a fatal wound like that possible. It certainly isn't something within human capabilities. Oh? It seems the [Focal] finished whatever it was doing as it took its hand(paw) off me.

"I've set up the link but it requires voice activation. I can't have you going back and forth willy-nilly on me."

"Voice activation? What did you do? How does this relate to me becoming a [Magical Girl]."

"Ask questions later. Also, it'll be easier if you stand up. Don't worry, I've healed your wounds so you should be completely fine."

I got up from the bed and stood up from the floor still confused. I physically felt amazingly normal though, you wouldn't believe I was fatally wounded just recently.

"Now say, [Transform]."

"Huh? Ok, [Transform]."

With a flash of light I felt my body change, it was a weird sensation but at the same time comforting. 

"It seems that the established is working properly."

Half of the things that come out of this [Focal]'s mouth is incomprehensible to me.

"What do you mean by working? Did I transform properly into something?"

"Yes. Now look in the mirror."

Very blunt this one is...

I head to my bathroom and push myself in front of the mirror. 

"Huh?"

Staring back at me is a bishoujo (beautiful girl) with similar features to mine. Free-flowing black hair, deep black eyes, glowing white skin, lean, and with a gorgeous face that resembled mine albeit slightly. I would definitely get nervous if I was talking to someone who looks like her alone...well it's me though. I check and confirm it again and again while moving myself consciously and the mirror reflecting it. I really became a girl...[Focals] can do anything. I wonder why only girls can get their power, unfair! I guess I'm a girl now too though? An extremely pretty one at that fufu!

There are also a few more things to check. A few parts of my body that changed the most significantly was...*I look down*

...yep it isn't there. It's been replaced with the other one. Okay, calm down now...I look to my arms and hands. They're a bit thinner and smaller than before, along with my legs. My butt and chest have busted out though...however, it doesn't excite me when it's my own body. I guess that's to be expected. The clothes I have on right now are noticeably more baggy but aren't unwearable in this form. I guess [Transform] doesn't allow you to deviate too much from your main body, well a swap in gender is definitely a big deviation though. What did that [Focal] even do? Am I really becoming a [Magical Girl]? Should I even keep calling it a [Focal]?

"What should I call you besides [Focal]?"

My voice is so cute! It's entrancing and higher than it could ever be in my other form. I never had an interest in singing but I bet this body would be able to sing reasonably well. The sensation of speaking normally tickles me inside a bit...

"We do have individual model names but those aren't very good for the purpose you're suggesting it for. Therefore, I leave it up to you."

"Hm, well you're dark as the night so Yoru."

"..."

"...sorry, I was being lazy. I'll do it again."

"It's fine. Yoru it is. Call me Yoru."

"Huh? Alright, Yoru."

Now that I decided on a name...

"Am I really going to receive your power and become a magical girl?"

"Yes."

"Do I need to do anything?"

"Nope, just wait there while I..."

Yoru floated towards my head and put its paw on it. Suddenly, waves of static entered my ears and a burning sensation flowed from my head to the rest of my body. It took me off guard and slightly hurt so,

"Ahh!!!"

Letting out a cute sound, I stumbled a bit but didn't fall. I held my head with my hands but that didn't do much to mitigate the effects. The pain abruptly stopped after a while and I fell to the floor in a sweat.

"W-What was that?"

"That was me awakening your mind. You could call it psyche or soul too, whatever you want."

"Awakening...my mind? Oh!? Does that mean I can use powers or something now?"

"That should be the case. However, I do not know what power you obtained either."

"So, I have to find it out on my own huh..."

"Now, to finish making you a fully-fledged [Magical Girl] we need to do some work on that body of yours."

"Hm?"

"Find a comfortable position, this will take several minutes..."

"The way to becoming a magical girl is surprisingly short..."

Yoru then formed his paw into a needle and jabbed it into my arm. I could barely feel it though.

"Indeed. Well, there aren't many people chosen though."

"Yes, I'm still wondering why I was chosen..."

"I've been observing you for a while and I just thought it'd be interesting."

"Observing me? How long?"

"When [First Contact] happened?"

"That means you just watched me shut myself in for a couple of weeks...how does that qualify me for becoming a [Magical Girl]."

"You wouldn't understand my calculation abilities. Anyways, I also wanted the ideal subject."

"The ideal subject?"

"Yes, it just so happens that I found you in a life-or-death state which I saved you from. According to my understanding, you should feel grateful and therefore more loyal to me."

"I mean, that isn't wrong..."

"Also, the ideal subject must be a male."

"Male? Not female?"

"Yes. Our master made a decree. That the only ones on Earth who should hold abilities are young girls..."

Hm? The [Focal]'s master decreed that only young girls should get powers!? What is that supposed to mean!?

"I cannot directly say my feelings towards this action but just know that I have a lot to say about it..."

I can't tell if Yoru experiences emotions exactly like me due to its lifeless face but I could tell it was slightly irritated from the tone of voice.

"So, wouldn't you be breaking that rule if you make me a [Magical Girl]?"

"Well, you are technically a girl now, yes?"

"So, you just found a loophole you're using to defy your master?"

"Well..."

"..."

"..."

"I see."

Is their master trusted at all or are they just treated like a fool? Well, that's not my business to stick into.

"Okay, I get my existence for now..."

"Good. I just finished the last touches too."

"For what?"

"Your physical enhancement and weapon manifestation ability."

Oh! Weapon manifestation is something I'm familiar with. [Magical Girls] can summon unique weapons to them from thin air instantly. I wonder what my weapon is.

"Do I need voice recognition for this one?"

"Nope, just think about wanting a weapon to manifest in front of you and it will respond to your will. It takes the shape of your mind so it's a completely original weapon only you can make."

I heeded Yoru's advice and closed my eyes. Imagining a weapon...of my very own...in front of me...

I reopened my eyes when I felt the successful sensation. I grabbed the weapon's handle.

"This is a..."

"It's a cutlass. A short sword with a slightly curved blade known for slashing."

"A cutlass huh...?"

The sword itself is really pretty. The hilt and hold are standard but the curved blade is a blindingly bright pearl white.

"It's a good weapon for fighting up close. Hopefully, it works well with your ability."

"I hope so too."

I survey the entirety of the cutlass. A [Magical Girl] with a cutlass huh? Not very common but I can hopefully make it work.

"How about my physical enhancement?"

"It's always active unless you purposefully will it off. You can also make it stronger if you so want it. Just feel the flow of power. Keep in mind that if you spread your energy too thin you might not be able to manifest and maintain your cutlass."

"I see..."

So, I need to allocate my internal power to the physical enhancement and my weapons in varying amounts. I guess I'll learn all the details when fighting [Curses]. That is what being a [Magical Girl] is after all. I have entered a world I cannot go back from, I must become a hero that kills [Curses] ruthlessly for the government. I heard there's pretty good pay there at least...

"So, do I join the Japanese government? When do I start training or killing [Curses]?"

"Well, aren't you enthusiastic. Also, I'm one of the [Focals] who doesn't align with any particular government so we're free. The training will be your actual experience on the field against [Curses]. I don't have much combat experience so don't count on me to help you."

"Huh? A [Magical Girl] not affiliated with a government? Those are rare...anyways didn't you take out that bear [Curse] when I was on death's door? How are you not experienced in combat?"

"That was because there was a clear opportunity since it was focused on you. I just took that opportunity. Trust me..."

"Alright alright...well, treat me well Yoru. I look forward to our partnership."

"Likewise, Akito Harada."

"You can call me Akito."

"Then, Aki."

"Aki?"

"I found that Earthlings call each other by nicknames when they become closer. Did I use it wrong?"

Earthlings...so [Focals] are definitely not from Earth...

"Uh, no but...I guess it's fine. Aki kind of sounds like a girl name..."

"Aren't you a girl?"

"Well, I became one just recently...then I guess Aki is fine. Call me Akito then in my male form though, got it?"

"Got it. I look forward to working with you [Magical Girl Aki]."

"Yeah, me too, [Focal Yoru]."

87