The Heat, And Bygones
1.2k 0 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I looked over at Veronica as I walked around, where she was still bent down at my height. Now that I was up close to Veronica's face, I could see just how much bigger she was than me.

"Thank you for all your help, girls, and especially you, Veronica. Thank you for giving me a ride," I said, and I walked up to Veronica's face and then kissed her cheek that was even larger than Jilly's.

I could feel the heat start to radiate off Veronica's face as she crawled back from me, and that stood back up in shock. I watched her lift one of her paws up to touch the place that I had kissed, and I turned around to head into the Keep.

"Find some shade so you can both keep cool. I will send someone out to bring you water and food," I said as I awkwardly opened the door and slipped into the Keep.

The door closed behind me, and I sighed and then started walking up the Astroturf stairs. Jessabell was awake, but she was shaking and staying quiet as I carried her to Nixi's room.

I had to wonder what was going through her head right now that allowed her to stay mostly calm? I would have thought that nothing could help someone that was scared of everything, but I guess that everyone has some kind of coping mechanism.

I knocked on Nixi's door, and there was a scramble that came from behind the door, and then I heard women arguing and then some crashing. I wasn't sure If I should stand this close to the door, and I also wished that the women would calm themselves down.

Jessabell was starting to shake more now, and I couldn't really blame her. I was worried about what was going to be waiting for me on the other side of the door for us, and when I finally did open it, I was surprised to find that Mex's mother, the redheaded one, was the one that opened the door to greet me.

"Welcome! Have you come to… what is in your arms?" Perita asked me as she Looked over Jessabell, then she got a look of understanding and nodded her head. "Ah, I see. Yes, bring her inside, and we will take you upstairs? I assume that was what you wanted, right?"

"Yeah, if you girls don't mind watching over her until I am done with my training. I need to do some stuff with the other girls, and now I need to get Jilly to make some more room for Jessabell and the two Sphinx girls," I explained, and Perita nodded.

"Yes, the other women are already up there waiting, but we will have to send you back the same way. I can take the Minostien up with me, and then you don't have to get launched out of the Keep," Perita told me with a warm smile.

"Ummm, sure… You got this?" I asked, trying not to say something rude, but Perita nodded to me with a smile and then took Jessabell from me with almost no effort.

"We will take care of the girl; you go deal with the other ones and get what you need to be done. Just remember how helpful we are to you in the future," Perita said with a smile as she closed the door on me before I could respond.

Then I was standing out in the hall all alone, or I was for a whole fraction of a second.

"Why do you insist on trying to sneak up on me?" I asked as I turned around to face Nixi.

To be honest, I had really thought it was Mex behind me but, one was just as bad as the other.

"I was just observing your interactions with the different women. Kazz Foreman, I really don't like you, but there is something that is different about you that I can't deny. I hope that you continue to keep doing this kind of work in the future," Nixi said to me, but I raised an eyebrow at her.

"Hmm? What is this all about? You're supposed to hate me, right? I still don't like you very much, but I can see your reasoning for what you have done, but I disagree with your careless attitude towards everyone that is around you," I said and then began to stretch.

"I am just seeing things the way they are right now, and I have been thinking about some of the things that you said. I didn't like most things that you accused me of, but I also can't say that you are incorrect in assuming those things. I have just been dealing with people like my son and his pet projects for so long. I guess you can say that I was getting tired of knowing that nothing was going to change, and it was only a matter of time before someone found out what was going on," Nixi explained, and then took in a deep breath, then let it back out in a long exhale.

"I can see why you might feel that way, but if you want to get off this island, then we need to work together. Though, I will not work with you if you can not control your anger. None of the girls or even Mex deserves your anger. I was the one that broke your shit and yelled at you, not any of the others," I explained, and Nixi looked to have resisted heavy eye roll as she nodded her head.

"Yes, father, I will learn to get my anger in check! But then you have to start treating me with more respect!" Nixi countered, shaking her finger at me.

"Sure, the moment you give me a reason to. I am not trying to be rude, but this is a two-way street. If we are going to work together, this will take effort from both of us. For now, I just want you to help me with Jessabell. Help me figure out what the best way to deal with her will be and how I can keep her and the rest of us safe from her; deal?" I asked.

"I shall do my best; you keep getting stronger and get the girls back here that will become with us. The moment you can break through the barrier, I want to be out of here," Nixi said, and I nodded in agreement.

23