Chapter 89
41 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the end, they decided on three courses of action. First, the number of patrols of Queen’s Guard would remain the same. There was no chance that the invaders had doubled back into the city to lay low, so there was no need to inconvenience the people of the town. Second, several squads that specialized in search would be dispatched to comb the countryside in all directions. Third, a volunteer, non-military affiliated party would go to Rabanul, bearing a letter from the Queen, to ask The Black Hand to turn over any individuals who might be seeking sanctuary in the free state.

Megan knew right from the end of the conversation that Samuel would send her to Rabanul. It made sense, she told herself. As quite possibly the most skilled mage the Queen had access too, he would take control of the search parties. But as he was associated with the military, his presence in Rabanul on such a heated topic would not bode well. The Mage’s College was free from the military, and so its members could be used. Megan was his Paragon Apprentice, which made her an ideal choice as well.

But Samuel continued to discuss the logistics of the search with the Queen and her council, not mentioning this fact. Megan chose to remain silent throughout the entire meeting, only offering her opinion when asked, as Samuel pointed out that she had some knowledge of Jyrok. She spoke her bit, then went back to her observant silence, learning as much as she could from this rare encounter. It was plain to her that the Queen of Tyrman was a shrewd, strategic woman, with enough power to reach out and affect literally anywhere in the world.

This must be what it was like to lead a superpower nation, she caught herself thinking. Despite the fact that the Queen appeared to be the same age as herself, she carried herself with a firm resolve, calmly and confidently making her decisions. She clearly weighed the consequences of each action before deciding, and once her mind was made up, she would not be swayed. It was also clear to Megan, watching from the outside, that each member of her council had a specific role to play in the conversation.

Enri and Markus, being her chief officers, were there to reinforce points from a militaristic point of view. Enri specifically had a unique understanding of the condition of the citizen’s moods, and it had been he who suggested not deploying any more guards than were already in effect. The Queen had listened to him patiently and agreed without much discussion. Markus too agreed with this, though he had suggested potential roadblock points that could have a good chance of spotting the criminals.

There were other, lesser military men on the council, of course, but it was their job to support Enri and Markus’ decisions. Samuel seemed to be the one the others turned to with questions about topography and ways to evade searches, as he was the resident expert on magic. Ashara backed him up in discussion, offering her own expertise in ways to track down the invaders. They kept mentioning something called God’s Eye, which could apparently pinpoint their location without issue. As long as they didn’t think to guard against it, that was.

Eventually, the three courses of action were decided on, and the Queen surprised Megan by asking her opinion on them. She jumped a little with how suddenly she was addressed, then flushed, confused by the Queen’s obvious sincerity in asking her opinion. It wasn’t the usual “this is how it is, and if you don’t agree, you’re wrong” response she would expect from a monarch. She cleared her throat nervously, glancing at all the members of the council, who had turned to stare at her.

“I think it could work, Your Majesty,” she said, her mouth suddenly dry. “But if you constrict their movements too much, they may turn desperate, and hurt more people.”

“That is a good point,” Enri Ciayol said, nodding thoughtfully. “We’ll have to keep that in mind as we move to capture them.”

“You think we can capture them so easily, Enri?” The Queen asked. “They were able to get in the city without being noticed, after all.”

“Don’t worry, cousin,” Enri assured her. “The security of the city is strong, but a net that wide has many holes. It will be different on the road.”

The meeting broke apart then, with the members in attendance moving to the door and disappearing from view. Only Enri and Samuel remained beside the Queen, speaking quietly together, referencing the map with small gestures. Megan waited patiently, still watching Samuel as he interacted with the ruler. Whether it be the college, combat, or a simple discussion with the head of a nation, Samuel seemed so sure of himself. Maybe, with his guidance, they could survive this event that was supposedly coming.

They’re all going to die.

Samuel and Enri broke away after another ten to fifteen minutes, with the mage gesturing for Megan to follow. She fell in line at once after offering the Queen a quick bow, and the three of them exited the small room back into the larger throne room. She looked from Samuel to Enri, suddenly aware that the latter was regarding her with some interest. She saw a slight frown of concentration on his face, and wondered at its cause.

“I still can’t tell,” Enri said, quiet enough that only they could hear it. “I assume she’s from the other world, just like Eric was?”

Samuel hesitated in his stride to flash a look at Megan before replying. “That’s right. She’s been here for a year now. I took a different path, this time.”

“Well,” Enri said, after a few minutes of silent contemplation. They were in front of the palace now. “I suppose I should introduce myself, then.”

“I know who you are,” Megan jumped in, speaking quickly. “You’re Enri Ciayol, Captain of the Queen’s Guard.”

“Among other things, yes,” he commented. “I’m fortunate enough to have met your predecessor, shortly before he lost his life. He was a good man.”

She nodded slowly. “So I’ve been told.”

“Do me a favor,” Samuel interjected, looking meaningfully at the younger man. “Don’t mention her to Bora Bora, just yet.”

“Oh, you don’t have to ask me that,” Enri replied at once, his face turning serious. “After how he reacted to Eric, I’m not keen to witness yet another meeting.”

Megan’s heart stopped, then restarted. That dry feeling in her mouth was back. Bora Bora, the God of Dragons and you know, Death? “What did he do to Eric?”

“Nothing,” Samuel hurriedly assured her. “He just… wasn’t a fan. Bora Bora is of the opinion that he can solve any problem facing this nation. But there are limitations to his ability to intercede, and as such, we need help from other avenues.”

Enri and Samuel shook hands then, and Enri took off at a casual pace towards the Military District. Samuel beckoned Megan towards yet another portal he’d just made, which led them back to his office tower. She sat back down in the comfortable chair in front of his desk, hands on her knees, waiting for what she knew would come. Samuel, however, didn’t mention it, seeming too busy with the stack of papers on his desk. She knew he wasn’t really giving them his full attention. She cleared her throat.

“Should I leave as soon as possible, then?” She asked. She was pleased to hear that her voice sounded level and calm.

“What?” He asked, looking startled. “Leave for where?”

“Rabanul.”

“Absolutely not,” he said, his eyes wide. “Why would you go to Rabanul?”

“To find out if the invaders are seeking sanctuary there,” Megan replied, frowning. “Wasn’t that what you had planned?”

“No,” he said shortly. She frowned again. This wasn’t making sense. “You’ll continue with your schooling. You’re not needed in this.”

“Oh?” she arched an eyebrow and leaned back, folding her arms. She was starting to get a sense of why he was refusing. “Then who were you planning on sending instead?”

“I…” he began, clearly wrongfooted. “I haven’t decided yet.”

“Good,” she countered. “Then send me. I can bring the Queen’s letter. I am your Apprentice. If I shouldn’t do this, then who should? You can’t, with your military ties.”

He let out a quiet hmph, but otherwise refused to comment. Thinking to change the subject and clearly try to distract her, he spoke up at last. “How far along are you with notifying the participants of the Exchange?”

“I finished that yesterday,” she said at once. “So you can’t use that as an excuse.”

“An excuse?” He asked, and now he was frowning too. “What makes you think-?”

“Well, the last time you sent someone from Earth on a mission, they died,” she said, interrupting the end of his sentence. “So clearly, you think that I’m doomed to fail, and so you won’t send me.”

“That’s nonsense,” he said at once, but his eyes dropped from hers, revealing the lie. “You’ve got enough on your hands. You’re supposed to be participating in the Exchange in two weeks!”

“And I have more than enough time to go to Rabanul and back,” she said, striking down another excuse. It was a novel sensation, winning an argument against the greatest mage in Milagre. “It should only take us a week and a half. Less, in fact, if we use Everyone’s teleportation circles.”

His frown deepened, and she knew he had nothing to say in refusal of that. He sat silently for a moment, weighing her words, and she leaned forward, putting more emphasis on her next sentence. “I can do this. I have to if I want to get used to the idea of what’s coming.”

“You don’t have a chance on your own,” Samuel said, almost too quietly to hear.

“Then I won’t go alone,” she said with a shrug. “I’ll bring Michael, Rachel, and Jordan with me.”

“There were three Proficients and eleven trained soldiers in that last fight,” Samuel pointed out. “Yet they still lost.”

“Who said anything about fighting?” She countered immediately, knowing that she was close to winning. “I’m not stupid. I know we don’t stand a chance against them. But we can find out if they’re there, and send for a patrol of soldiers to arrest them.”

He thought on that for another minute or two, and she let him. She sensed that if she pushed any further on the topic, she’d only succeed in making him set his ankles in more deeply. Now was the moment to be patient, she told herself. He’ll realize the logic in her arguments, and common sense will prevail. It seemed to take a lifetime for him to answer her.

“Are you sure you could convince your friends to go with you?”

“Of course,” she said, relaxing back into the chair. “They’re good friends, and they won’t tolerate the idea of me going alone. Michael’s the only one who would have to think about it, but he’ll want to come too.”

“Alright,” he agreed finally. “But if you’re going to do it, you should do it properly.”

“How do you mean?” She asked, tilting her head slightly.

“You should journey there on foot first, or at least on a horse,” he said. “You can teleport back.”

“Why should it matter how we reach the city?” She asked. “The quicker the better, right?”

He shook his head. “First off, none of Everyone’s teleportation circles can reach Rabanul. M doesn’t have a market stall in the fortress. Second, you’ll want to give them advanced notice of your arrival.”

“Ah,” she said simply. It did make sense, now that he pointed it out. “And I assume they’ll provide us with a circle to use on the way back.”

“Correct,” Samuel agreed. “Very well. Would you like my help procuring transportation?”

“No thanks,” she said, suddenly filled with a giddy sort of excitement. She was about to go on a journey, her very first, in the world of Ahya. “I’ll rent a Stravian.”

“Good choice. Well, get a move on, then. I’ll coordinate with the Royal Messengers, to make sure The Black Hand knows you’re coming. And good luck.”

1