Chapter 23
166 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A long shocked pause filled the room, as the three Rajlens shared slightly unnerved looks between each other. Clearly, they hadn’t counted on Samuel Bragg, the Archmage of Knowledge discovering and interfering with their plans. Both Korin and Taro were looking to Matthias as if silently asking what to do. After a few moments of hesitation, Matthias’ shoulders seemed to slump slightly, and he gestured for Korin to stand down. Seeming relieved that he had direction, Korin slung the crossbow back onto his belt and leaned against the wall.

“Thank you,” Samuel’s voice said from the other side of the door. “Very well, I am coming in.”

The handle turned, and the door opened slowly, revealing the dark blue robe chased in white and gold. Samuel’s violet eyes peered quickly in all directions, ensuring that there was no attack waiting for him, then stepped quickly across the threshold, closing the door gently behind him. He surveyed the room, his eyes lingering for a fraction of a second on Eric’s bewildered face, then turned his focus to the old man.

“That was a risky move, Matthias,” he said courteously, taking a few more steps towards Eric. “Many people saw Korin grab him outside the Heron.”

“I felt it necessary, Master Bragg,” Matthias replied. “I needed to gauge whether or not he is a threat with my own eyes.”

“And what is your verdict?” Samuel moved to stand beside Eric, keeping his eyes still locked on Matthias.

“He is not a threat,” Matthias said, after another long pause. “But I cannot be sure that he will remain so. He seems quite full of potential.”

“Glad to hear we agree on something,” Samuel chuckled. His voice was exceptionally light and carefree, considering the tension in the room. “So, you have no need to keep him here, yes?”

“I have not decided that,” Matthias admitted. “Though now I know you are connected to him, I’m of half a mind to kill him now, to assuage my future worries. There may come a time when I regret not doing so, and his sword strikes me down.”

“Ah, yes,” Samuel replied slowly. “Your greatest regret.”

Matthias finally looked away from Eric, peering directly at Samuel. “Yes. Had I killed you in that battle, my life would have been considerably easier.”

“Water under the proverbial bridge,” Samuel said, as if it were he forgiving Matthias. “But it would be unwise to kill him. If you could, that is.”

“You think you can stop all three of us at once?” Matthias had shot to his feet. “It would only take one strike from either of us. Can you defend against the entire Rajlen clan?”

“If the entire clan were here, you mean,” Samuel corrected. It was clear to Eric that Matthias was shocked by the reply, as if he’d been sure of one secret against Samuel. “But as they are not here, we may never know.”

“Even against us three alone,” Taro interjected, his voice unhostile but firm, his eyes locked onto the Archmage. “Could you win?”

“I do not know,” Samuel said, his eyes suddenly hard. “You and Korin are still young. But with Matthias supporting you, it would be a challenge. In any event, there is no need for a fight. I will be taking him away with your permission.”

Korin scoffed from his position by the door. “What makes you think that?”

“It is simple, young Korin,” Samuel replied, favoring the archer with a thin smile. “I have the right to free him because your father owes me his life.”

Matthias cursed under his breath but didn’t refute the claim. He took several deep breaths, his gaze switching from Samuel to Eric and back again. Then he glanced at Taro and Korin in turn, clearly weighing and measuring the risks involved. He clearly regarded Samuel as an opponent to be wary of, which gave Eric some comfort. If he felt that Taro and Korin, elite fighters as they were, were no match, then perhaps he could get out of here safely. He tried to catch Samuel’s eye to get some hint of action, but the Archmage was avoiding looking at him.

“Or, if you would rather,” Samuel said, his voice dropping low so that only Eric and Matthias could hear it, “I can release Torin.”

“You wouldn’t,” Matthias spluttered, his face paling. “That would be against the law.”

“Magic fails sometimes,” Samuel said smoothly. “Even mine. I can always put him down after he’s killed you, and put the matter to rest forever.”

“Curse you,” Matthias whispered, so quietly that Eric barely heard it. His face was the color of eggshells now. “Fine. Take the outworlder, then, and leave us be.”

Eric stood and moved to stand beside Samuel, his head spinning. What kind of person was Samuel that he could bend this man to his will so easily? Matthias had hinted at some old battle when they’d faced each other. Was the mistake he’d mentioned letting Samuel live? If so, that would mean that Samuel had defeated Matthias at some point in the past. Then he’d saved the man’s life by detaining someone named Torin.

“Excellent,” Samuel said, his tone bright once again. “A pleasure as always, Matthias. I wish you well in your exploits.”

Samuel grabbed hold of Eric’s arm and marched him across the room toward the door. As they moved, Eric glanced over his shoulder at Matthias, who was slumped now, his head in his hands and shaking slightly. He’s terrified of Samuel, he thought. What had really happened between the two of them to cause such an intense reaction?

Taro looked troubled at Matthias’ reaction, but Korin seemed wholly unconcerned. He tilted his head slightly at Samuel as the mage dragged Eric through the doorway, like a wolf studying an interesting challenge. Did he plan to attack them? But then the door was closed behind them, and Samuel’s grip on his arm tightened. There was a brief tug at the back of his mind, and the world around him faded to black for the second time that day.

When his vision finally cleared, he was standing on a busy street. Trader’s Row, Eric noticed, where most of the permanent shops in Milagre were placed. The shop they had appeared before was smaller than its neighbors and had many leafy plants and flowers growing in large flowerbeds. A pungent sound of drying herbs filled his nose, making him slightly dizzy.

“Willow’s Respite,” Samuel explained, pulling Eric towards the door. “My apologies for the sudden teleportation. The sensation takes some getting used to, and is doubly uncomfortable if you’re moved by surprise.”

Eric did indeed feel hollow as if several of his organs had been left behind. He was also unbalanced from the remnants of the poison, which wasn’t helped by the nausea he was feeling from the overwhelming scent of the herbs nearby. Samuel paid his weakness no mind, pulling the door of the shop open and dragging him inside.

“Eric!” Emma appeared out of nowhere, wearing the same green dress she’d donned when they’d first met. She threw her arms around him, jolting him out of Samuel’s grip and hugging him tightly. She too smelled of herbs, but it was a gentler smell, mixed with lavender and the scent of roses. He could feel himself relaxing a bit, wishing his arms weren’t so weak so that he could wrap his arms around her in return.

She finally broke away, holding him at arm’s length. Her green eyes were narrowed in concern, and she studied him up and down as if checking for injuries. Evidently finding none but still worried at his dazed state, she looked to Samuel with raised eyebrows, asking a silent question.

“What’s wrong with him?”

“He was struck with a poisoned barb,” Samuel explained, producing a small crossbow bolt from thin air and handing it to her. “I don’t know what is on it, but you might.”

She took the bolt with her left hand and studied the tip closely. Eric could see some kind of gummy substance on the tip. Whatever it was, it was clearly responsible for his current state. She brought the tip to her mouth and licked it carefully, ignoring the look of alarm that Eric gave her.

“Oh, relax,” she said quickly, spitting to the side. “It’s just a paralytic. You’ll be fine with a quick restorative potion and some sleep. Thank you for saving him, Samuel. I’ll take it from here.”

Samuel nodded, bowing slightly. “I leave him in your capable hands, young Emma. How much for the remedies?”

Emma was already helping Eric walk further into the shop, and waved her free hand in dismissal. “Don’t even think about it. You took time out of your day to rescue him, I wouldn’t dare charge you. Good day.”

Without another word, she led Eric, half-dragging and half-carrying him, through a set of cloth curtains to the back. Eric wanted to turn and also thank Samuel for his help, not to mention ask one of the million questions that had built up in his mind, but he didn’t have enough strength for independent movement. The rush of adrenaline he’d had upon first waking up in that room had faded, and his body wouldn’t obey him.

“Here you are,” Emma said softly, leading him over to an empty bed. It, like its neighbors, were spaced about six feet apart in a long room. Only one other bed was occupied, at the far end of the room. An old bald man with fine wizard’s robes was sitting up, reading a thick book. He glanced up as Emma and Eric entered, then went back to his book without much more interest.

Emma settled Eric onto the soft bed, then opened the satchel at her waist. She pulled a glass bottle containing some mysterious green liquid, presumably the restorative potion that would wash away the rest of the poison. She quickly pulled the cork free from the neck, then lifted Eric’s head and pressed the bottle to his lips.

“It doesn’t taste well, I’m afraid,” she said softly. “But drink it all anyway. It’ll get rid of the poison within the hour.”

Eric drank obediently, resisting the urge to gag with extreme difficulty. The potion burned his throat like hot peppers, and he could feel it searing him as it went down. But he stuck through it, and drank all of it as quickly as he could. Then he flopped back onto his pillow with a groan, trying to ignore the sensation of fire surging through his body. Then, just as quickly as it began, the sensation faded, and he was left as he’d been, dizzy and weak.

“Alright, then,” Emma said, reaching down to unbutton his shirt. When he looked at her in mild alarm, she smiled patiently. “The potion by itself is not enough. To speed the process, I’ll need to heal you directly. With your chest bare, it is much easier.”

6