Chapter 118
32 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alice ran through the tunnels with unerring speed, choosing her path among the countless slits without hesitation. If Megan didn’t know any better, she’d think that the Infernal had spent some time in Rabanul. But how was that possible, if she’d been locked away before she herself had arrived in Ahya? Unless she’d made it to Ahya before, and visited these tunnels with some other host.

The word is partner, and you know that Alice said back in her mind. And, no you’re my first partner. I just pay more attention than you do. We’ve seen the prison before when you were last here.

Megan couldn’t remember seeing any such prison on their previous visit, but she decided to give Alice the benefit of the doubt. It was feasible that, not being directly involved in every little thing she did, the Infernal could afford to memorize smaller details. Not that the detail was small now, she corrected herself. It might just be the trick they needed to securing more allies. Alice continued to race on, unchecked.

“Ah, I wondered whether you’d show up or not.”

The voice, coming from out of nowhere and having no discernable voice, made Alice freeze. She made no attempt to duck into a hiding spot but remained stationary where she was, in the middle of the narrow hall. Megan spun on the spot, searching for and finding the source of the voice in an instant. It was someone she didn’t know. He was wearing a full set of black metal armor, placed delicately over a suit of chainmail.

The armor and sword he carried might have been of excellent quality, but they also saw signs of constant use and repair. This was clearly no novice in combat, she thought. Then she wondered if she’d been right in not recognizing the man. There was something familiar about him now that she was looking closer. It certainly wasn’t his face. No, it was the sense that she got from the man. It was a kind of energy that she’d only seen in one other person.

“There’s no point in hiding, Alice.” The man said. Then Megan noticed the red gleam to his eyes. Could it be? Was her luck so bad that she’d run into another Infernal so soon?” “Let me see you.”

Almost reluctantly, Alice stood up straight and canceled the glamour that was hiding her from sight. “How did you know it was me, Darius? Also, how in Ahya’s name are you here? Last I saw you, you were spending away your time at Ganus’ side.”

The man, Darius, smiled widely. There was something cruel and malevolent to that smile, Megan thought with a shiver. She was certain that Darius could see her, floating where she was, hidden from view. Alice looked just as nervous as she felt, her eyes darting to either side as if checking for exits. Clearly, this man was not only familiar to her but a figure to be scared of.

“My husband tired of me, for the time being,” Darius said, taking one step forward. “I decided to entertain myself for a while. I found a particularly blood-thirsty human and bonded with him. But how did you manage to cross over?”

“I found a willing soul to take me on, same as you,” Alice said. Her voice was cool and indifferent, but her body language still radiated total fear. She was a wild animal dominated by a superior predator. “I’m not trying to get in your way, or anything.”

“Ah, but you are in my way. Whether you like it or not, your human and my human are enemies. I quite like my human, so I feel like giving him a hand.”

“Well, I like my human too,” Alice said. Then, after a moment’s hesitation, she added, “Sometimes she’s annoying, but I still like her.”

Darius laughed at that, a deep, shaking sound that was almost normal if it weren’t for the primal hunger that echoed throughout it. “Yes, humans are stubborn little creatures. But your connection to your human is weak, little Alice. She has yet to take full advantage of your bond.”

“Yes,” Alice agreed, letting out a sigh of exasperation. “So. Are you going to try and stop me?”

“You wouldn’t stop if I told you to, would you?” Darius asked, arching an eyebrow. “I am your superior, but you’ve never been good at following orders.”

“You got that right,” Alice said. Megan could sense the desperation building inside her mind, and knew that she was far from backing down. “I’m terrible at it. That’s why I broke free.”

Darius’ smile faded from his face as if he could also sense what was on the younger Infernal’s mind. “Don’t be so silly, Alice. You stand no chance.”

“Maybe,” Alice said, her eyes no longer darting. They were focused, unblinkingly, on Darius’ face, and there was an unmistakable hunger to them. “But think what I could become if I killed you.”

The two Infernals held their silent staring match for several seconds, each looking coolly intimidating. Then the peace was broken as Alice, quick as lightning itself, drew her daggers and lunged at her kin. The attack was so fast that she had struck and returned to her original location before Megan could even move, but the damage was still done. A large gash was forming in Darius’ chest, where the dagger had pierced through his armor as if it wasn’t there.

Quick as it formed, the gash was gone. Then Megan noticed the wound on Alice’s arm. More accurately, there were three long cuts, oozing a dark, almost black blood onto the floor. The blood hissed and dissolved as it landed on the stone, and Alice cursed as she felt the injury. It did not fade.

Darius clicked his tongue quietly. “Not a bad strike, if I do say so myself. But it’s a shame you missed.”

Alice flashed forward and back again, then again. Each time, the wound she inflicted on Darius healed instantly, but she got three more cuts that showed no sign of fading. She was breathing heavily now, and though the cuts would be lethal on any other entity, she showed no sign of weakness. She did look worried at the wounds, however.

“You know that one more will be your downfall,” Darius said quietly. “I only have to say the word, and you will take the damage. I will forgive you if you throw yourself down at my feet. Do it now, and I will spare you when I kill your human.”

“No thanks,” Alice said, her voice steadier now. “I think I’ll take my chances with her.”

Without warning, Alice performed another strange gesture, crossing her knives together and running their blades together to create sparks. But instead of the shriek of metal on metal, the sound was beautifully harmonic, like the ringing of a gong. For such a peaceful sound, the damage it caused was horrendous. An invisible force blasted out and slammed into Darius, sending the Infernal flying for a dozen feet. He slammed into the stone wall of an intersection with enough force to crack the wall, burying him a few inches into it.

Alice didn’t even bother to see what the effect of her attack had been. She turned on her heel and ran in the opposite direction, re-activating her invisibility. That won’t stop him for long. He’ll be back to finish the job in no time. Megan noticed that, after a short distance, the wounds on her body vanished completely. Apparently, there was something magical, or perhaps ethereal, about the injuries she’d sustained.

Who the hell was that? Megan asked. He looks scary.

That was Darius, Alice replied, almost bouncing off a tunnel wall as she turned sharply and kept running. And damn right he’s terrifying. He’s easily one of the strongest of my kind I’ve ever known. Few could best him.

I’m guessing you didn’t beat him with that just now, did you?

Not even close. I’ve only pissed him off. He hated it when I used to do that in fights over food. Never worked, though. He’s too old and powerful.

Behind them, Megan could feel a powerful core of energy flaring up, tangible even through the hundreds of feet of stone between them. She could only hope that the maze of tunnels would stop him from catching them. If they could only get to the prison and free some of the mages there, they might stand a chance.

Oh, we’re going to free the mages, Alice said. But not to help us. They won’t do any good. No, after that, we’re running away.

But he’ll kill them if they try to escape, Megan said indignantly. You’d be sentencing dozens of men to their deaths.

I’m only going to be giving them the chance for an escape, Alice snapped back. What they do with that chance is up to them. It’s not my business.

That simply wouldn’t do. With an effort, Megan wrenched control back to her side. She came back in the blink of an eye, still moving just as fast, and promptly slammed into a wall. Her nose broke at the impact, and she bounced off, landing squarely on her butt. Ow. I’m not letting you sacrifice innocent men.

What? Alice’s panic was back now. What are you going to do? If I don’t stand a chance against him, you sure as hell don’t! Let me back at once, before you die!

But Megan ignored her plea and refused Alice’s attempt to seize control again. You’re not alone, you idiot. If you really meant what you said about us working together, then just trust me, for crying out loud.

Darius came into view at the end of the tunnel. There was a huge dent in his armor where Alice’s attack had injured him, but he didn’t look that hurt. A cruel smile was stretching his face as he saw Megan standing alone. She obviously looked like a much easier target than his inferior had. It was only then that she remembered his threat to kill her. No time to back out now, she thought. Darius lunged, his hands outstretched for the kill.

Megan smashed the spell stone on the ground at her feet, turning her face away from the blinding light of released mana. She was conscious only of the sound of metal slicing metal, as well as the more sickening sound of a weapon gouging flesh. Then she was pushed back by someone and heard a roar of pain, then a thudding impact. When she looked back, her mind was thrown by what she saw. She’d known what the effect of smashing the stone would be, but even still, it was mind-boggling to see.

Twenty Samuel Braggs were standing in the corridor between her and the Infernal, who was lost to sight with the flourish of twenty blue robes, and the glow of twenty arcane blades. Each was an identical copy of the mage who had created them. Megan knew that Simulacrums were significantly weaker than their creator, but even she couldn’t tell the difference in power.

Oh, right, the stone. Alice’s voice in her mind was no longer filled with panic. She was awed and surprised. I had no idea that the Paragon was that strong. Darius has been badly hurt.

Megan’s view of the situation shifted as she focused on the foremost of the simulacrums. She knew that the use of this spell allowed her to use the senses of the copies as if they were her own. She saw Darius lying on the ground, stunned by the surprise attacks. He had more than a dozen long deep cuts on his body, and his black blood was pooling on the ground around him. He looked completely defeated save for the angry growling that came from his chest as he regained his feet.

“Well, well, well,” Darius said, his grin still in place. “It seems that your human has a bit of power herself, Alice. Excellent choice. We will continue this later.”

And so saying, he simply vanished from view. Standing in his place was a tall, narrow-shouldered young man with ash-grey hair and piercing blue eyes. There was something unmistakably royal about his features, she thought. He flashed a cheeky grin at the copy she was seeing out of, then vanished from view with a burst of mana. At last, Megan was safe and alone, save for the simulacrums. She withdrew her view as they turned to face her, expecting an order.

“Right,” she said, so simply that she might have just finished eating a meal. “Let’s get this over with. Spread out through the tunnels, and free as many prisoners as you can. Keep an eye out for Beran. If she appears, everyone will converge on her location.”

1