Chapter 8: Defiance
14.3k 22 421
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They call it theft, I say it's ethical redistribution. I'm not going in poor people's houses nor am I robbing nuns, i'm not beating old ladies or pulling knives - I just do my thing, flow along, enjoy the day and stuff finds me. It's weird like that. But those people with their shining armors, they don't see it from where I am, that all these nobles with their stores are their oasis, their bounty, but for us it's a mirage in the desert, cruel. — The noble thief.

*************

For the first time in my short second life, sunlight momentarily blinded my vision as my father flew out of the dimly lit cave. It took a few seconds for my eyes to adjust to the sudden glare of the sun. 

Yet as soon as I did, I was abruptly left lost for words at the scenery that stretched before my eyes. A sea of green trees and flowers greeted me. 

I glanced back to the place where the cave was situated in. A tall majestic mountain, bare from any greenery, it stood high in the middle of the forest akin to a pillar trying to pierce the skies.

I turned my attention back to the scene below as my eyes flew from tree to tree, noticing the buds ready to open into the light, that looked as if countless green flags in the ever-warming wind that tickled my scales. 

It felt like wintertime has already passed in its somber majesty. I saw countless foreign and exotic flowers I never have before as they colored my vision. It took me a while to adjust to my enhanced eyes. 

In my previous life, my eyesight was nowhere near perfect, I wore glasses all the time, not the thick type that made my eyes look small, no just normal glasses to help with my deteriorated sight.  

It always fascinated me how some people were able to just wake up and 'see' the world as it is. No glasses, no eye contacts, nothing, they could simply 'see'. Often we took things for granted, things other people would kill to have. 

Letting out what seemed to be a sigh, I shook my head as I pushed the depressing thoughts of my past life to the back of my mind. There was no use thinking about that anymore, I was now a Dragon! 

And it seems like Dragons have a damn perfect vision, I thought as I scanned the forest flashing by below. Father's large wings propelled us forward at unimaginable speeds as the scenery turned into a mere blur. 

He held us in one palm and used his other to shield us against the strong wings as he flew through the skies, if not then I had no doubt me alongside my siblings would have been sent hurling backward.   

Peeking through the gaps between father's large claws, I watched in curiosity as the below scenery changed. From a dense forest with no end in sight, an incomparably large lake appeared right in the middle. 

Father then landed with a loud boom leveling a few hundred trees along the way. He then mercilessly turned his palm upside down and sent us sprawling to the ground. 

Though I do not want to admit it, I had failed in landing and instead ended up kissing the ground. Glancing at my siblings made me feel glad as I was not the only one. Golden boy had his head deep within the muddy bank, while White somehow ended up landing on top of Blacky.

Surprisingly, Green however had managed to nail the landing somewhat gracefully, as she opened her large wings to lower her speed, which gently brought her down next to me.  

Once on the ground, she stumbled before quickly regaining her footing. I could almost see the somewhat proud expression on her face as she raised her tiny head high in the air. 

'Already getting cheeky, eh?' I laughed inwardly as I stood up. 

White and Blacky had long since moved away from each other. The calm indifferent young Dragon made her way next to me and Green under Blacky's penetrating gaze. 

If looks could kill, White would have already been dead by now from the intense glare of Blacky, it was as if he tried to drill a hole through her skull with his eyes. 

White on the other hand looked completely unbothered and did not pay him any heed. Meanwhile, Golden was still struggling to get his head out of the ground. 

'Someone help him already. It's just embarrassing at this point.' I thought, and to my relief and surprise, Blacky was the one to make a move as he stepped closer to Golden boy and delivered a swift kick to his side that set his head free. 

Father who had been quietly watching us all this time let out a low growl that revibrated all around and even managed to cause my body to shake. I unconsciously stood straight and lined up in front of him with my head raised high, my siblings doing the same as all of our gazes met my father's enormous eyes. 

'Was that a command of some sorts?' I inwardly thought as I recalled the low growl.  I had moved without thinking, he growled and my body followed almost like an instinct or something. 

I did not like that. It was already bad enough that I had to keep my head lowered all the time in fear when facing him, now it seems like he also had the ability to command me, or rather us, to do what he wants. 

I did not like that, a burning feeling slowly rose within my chest as I could feel my blood boiling. I would like to think that I'm a normal guy, or was at that matter, I try to think before I act and avoid doing anything stupid. 

By not doing anything stupid I mean not defying my mountain of a father like I'm some teenager who just got grounded and was about to lash out against my parents only to get an ass whopping after. 

This was exactly what was going to happen if I defied my monstrous father, perhaps not an ass-whooping if I'm unlucky I might not even live to tell the tale. 

My mind knew this, I knew this, my body seemed to have different thoughts. My blood was burning as a fiery sensation rushed from the back of my throat. 

My vision slowly turned red under the oppressing pressure of my father. My gaze met his, a flash of surprise seemed to pass by his eyes as I opened my mouth and roared with every fiber of my being. 

"ROAR!" 

  

421