Chapter 22 – Journey To The Capital (Part 2)
348 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“It’s called black sugar beer.”

 

Iris showed a reaction to the word ‘beer’, “Beer?”

 

She was aware that I had never drank alcohol since I was born in this world. Well, I really dislike beer, and that’s the only alcohol that appeared at the mansion.

 

“You’re going to make Riley drink beer?”

 

Sons first learn how to drink from their father--that’s what Iris considered the norm.

 

“Hahaha, there’s no need to worry. As I said before--you can’t get drunk by drinking the black sugar beer. There is no alcohol in the drink itself, even children drink it in Solia.”

 

“Well, the nobles don’t seem to like it very much though.” Sera joined in on the conversation.

 

“Well, it’s a surprise that I something I dreamed about actually exists here.” I decided to say that, because there was a tiny look of suspicion in Iris’ eyes as she glanced at my face.

 

“Well, there are also many other things--you can look forward to it.” Sera promised with a sly smile.

 

“Can’t you tell us more?” Iris asked with a tone of anticipation, and an expression of curiousity.

 

“Hmm, I could tell you more--” Sera’s expression became mischievous, “But wouldn’t that take the fun out of your vacation with Young Master?”

 

“Hmph, alright! Fine! So mean--” Iris raised her nose with a “Hmph!”

 

Although her voice was sharp, there was a brilliant smile on her face.

 

***

I was worried about having to fake sleeping--but Iris had made me lay down on the seat and placed my head on her lap, slowly stroking my hair as she spoke with Ian and Sera--as I drifted off to sleep…I didn’t have the memories fill my head, I felt peaceful.

 

***

“Mmm, Coke…”

 

The boy sleeping with his head on Iris’ lap began to sleep talk.

 

Iris, who was lending him her lap, playfully poked his cheek--and he stopped sleep talking.

 

“My Lady, isn’t it tiring?”

 

“No, I’m fine. I could ask you the same.”

 

“We’ve only just swapped, it’s alright.”

 

Even through the night, the carriage continued without stopping--which was thanks to the special horses that were pulling the carriage.

 

Not only that, on the roof of the carriage was an invention which had been made by wizards--a light that allowed the carriage to keep going in the darkness.

 

“How long until our arrival?” Iris looked up and faced Ian, who was sitting across from her.

 

“There is still some distance, you should sleep as well.” Ian, who was sitting with his arms crossed, looked at the map before answering Iris’ question, “At the latest, we should arrive by tomorrow night.”

 

“That sounds good. Should we register for the Swordsmanship Tournament before touring?”

 

Although Riley wasn’t competing, but watching also required registration. In order to register, they must send news of their arrival to the Castle in Solia and request a pass.

 

“That can be done by either Sera or I.” Ian nodded.

 

“Shouldn’t you be sleeping too, Ian?”

 

“There are times I’ve been awake for a week straight during war time. This much is a walk in the park for me.”

 

He had begun working as a mercenary when he was in his early teens, and participated in many battles.

 

“If you can’t sleep, then how about a chat?”

 

Ian began to search through their packs to find a good tea to drink, and handed one of the cups to Iris.

 

“Ah, thank you.” Iris smiled.

 

“My Lady.” While they were waiting for the tea to cool down, Ian asked Iris a question, “You--are not going to change your mind, right?”

 

“About the tournament--No. My decision won’t change; if Riley doesn’t want to compete, then I won’t force him.”

 

“I..see”

 

“Ian, if you truly serve Riley, you shouldn’t push him into this, you should support him.” Iris tried to convince Ian, “You know, don’t you? That Riley is worried, he’s worried about how everyone looks at him.”

 

Ian had always been next to Riley--he always got the feeling that Riley was hiding something.

 

“...I guess with age, comes anxiousness.” Ian broke the silende it the carriage, “Although I’ve boasted that I’m on active duty, but I am, in truth worried--I don’t know when I will die.

 

Ian’s face became bitter as he seemed to remember the time when he collapsed before, “There’s nothing I can do. Nothing I can do but have hope in the Young Master.”

 

“You just told me, right?  That I shouldn’t push him into this, but support him instead.”

 

Iris nodded.

 

“I am just the same as you, My Lady. It may not be identical, but it is very similar. Just as you are resolute on declining his spot in the Tournament--I was hoping for his participation.” As Ian spoke these words, the carriage suddenly shook.

 

At the sudden shaking, Ian and Iris looked at Sera, who was driving the carriage.

 

“...Ian.” She had a sharp look on her face, which wasn’t her usual look, “It’s an ambush.”

 

Riley, who had been sleeping on Iris’ lap opened his eyes.

4