Chapter 68 – A Sixth Circle Mage
233 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Instead of standing there, please come and have a seat.” Iris gestured for the High Priest to sit down.

Accepting her offer, Rebethra sat down.

Iris was reaching for a fork on the table, but she asked as she lowered her head, “Have you had dinner?”

“No, but it looks like I will have to depend on you.”

“Actually, I’m glad you haven’t had dinner yet. I would have been disappointed if I didn’t get to have dinner with you.” Iris spoke politely.

She called over Nainiae, who reluctantly got up, and asked for her to get a serving of food for Rebethra.

“Yes, Lady Iris.” She bowed and received her order, leaving for the kitchen.

Rebethra was impressed by Nainiae’s politeness, “Oh my…Ms. Nainiae became a maid in Iphelleta House? Even though I’m seeing it with my own eyes, I still cannot believe it.”

“She is a nice child, diligent too.” Iris spoke with a warm smile.

“Right now, is she serving Young Master Riley?”

“Yes. It turned out that way.” Iris nodded.

“Excuse me for asking this so late, but who is this young lady?” Rebethra asked Iris, his eyes had met Annabelle’s.

“She is the fiancee of Young Master Ryan. The daughter of Marquis Morgred.” Iris spoke smoothly.

“Ah, it’s you, Ms. Annabelle. I heard rumours that you are beautiful--it seems those rumours don’t do you justice.” Rebethra was smooth.

“Thank you, Sir Rebethra. That’s too much of a compliment.” Annabelle demurs.

Annabelle gazed towards her food, but she soon turned her head and looked at Rebethra, “But, High Priest…”

“Yes?”

“Why are you…being so polite toward that maid?” She asked carefully, with an anxious look on her face.

Having heard her question, he looks confused, asking her a question in turn, “What do you mean? Why do you ask?”, he looked towards Iris and I.

I wasn’t interested, sitting there and zoning out.

Iris had an awkward look on her face.

“By any chance, are the people in this mansion unaware of it?”

“That is…” Iris paused, mumbling. She was agonized over what to tell him, eventually she spoke with a slightly embarrassed smile, “Yes. I totally forgot to explain…”

“Oh my…” Rebethra spoke with a little surprise.

“Pardon me. Just what are you…” Annabelle revealed her anxiousness--she wasn’t able to take it anymore, so she butted into their conversation.

She was well aware that it was quite rude, but the situation was such that she was unable to figure out what was happening.

“Here. I brought your meal.” Nainiae returned to the dining room, placing the dish in front of Rebethra.

She quickly scampered over and sat by my side--blushing because she accidentally showed too much anticipation, causing both Iris and Rebethra to look at her with a raised eyebrow.

With a smile, Rebethra spoke to Nainiae with a polite tone, “Ah, thank you, Ms. Nainiae.”

Annabelle wasn’t touching her food. Instead, she had a confused look on her face.

Looking away from the embarrassed Nainiae, Rebethra picked up a piece of food with his fork, saying, “You asked why I’m being polite to Ms. Nainiae, right?”

“...Yes?”

He paused for a moment to look at Nainiae, then continue, “That is because Ms. Nainiae…is the Sixth Circle Mage that played a major role in stopping Astroa during the incident in Lower Solia.”

“...?!”

Annabelle accidentally dropped her fork onto her plate, making a loud noise.

It was revealed that  the maid that was hired in the mansion, was a Sixth Circle Mage.

Of course, the entire mansion was turned upside down.

***

“So, Riley…”

We were currently in Stein’s office, three of us. The atmosphere was pretty strange.

Stein had called Nainiae and I in.

Facing the two of us, as we stood calmly in front of him, Stein held his hand to his forehand, rubbing it like he had a headache, “I think an explanation is due. How did it come to this?”

“I thought Ian told you, father.”

“I heard that she is a Mage--I didn’t hear that she is a Sixth Circle Mage!”

Bam!

Stein slammed the desk with his fist. He shut his eyes, reigning his irritation in, before asking a question, “Well, my first question is, is she really…”

He looked at Nainiae who was standing calmly beside me, “…A Sixth Circle Mage?”

“Yes.”

Just answering with a simple affirmative was easier that having her show her Magic to him, since Stein didn’t know much about Magic; there was no way he could tell the difference between the Circles.

“If that is the case, then why?”

Stein asked, glaring at Nainiae--he looked like he was trying to tear the thoughts from her head with his eyes--she calmly stared back.

“Why are you serving Riley as a maid? You don’t have to do this.” Stein spoke directly to Nainiae.

She was a Sixth Circle Mage. If word got out, people from cities everywhere would be all over her and begging her to be a Mage in their city.

After all, Sixth Circle is known as an Archmage, only one Circle from the strongest Human Mages found now days.

She was only 14, so she had a bright future ahead of her--that’s what Stein was thinking.

“Iris told me not to scold her too much. Iris said that she is a good child. However, what I am about is a different matter--she could be a spy, or have some other intent for coming to this mansion. Do you understand?”

Well, Stein is the master of the Iphelleta House, so he had the right to ask that question.

I shouldn’t feel angry when he doubts her like that--but, my hand clenched unconsciously.

“So, Nainiae…” Stein asked, staring at her, “I presume there is no need to speak politely to you, is that right? After all, you voluntarily became Riley’s maid.”

“Yes.” Nainiae lowered her head, expressing respect toward Stein.

“I’ll ask. You are a Sixth Circle Mage, why are you doing this?”

“...”

Nainiae seemed hesitant to answer, she kept her mouth shut, her head lowered--I glanced back at her, her cheek was slightly pink and her eye swam.

“You played a big role in apprehending Astroa in Solia--You are in a very good position to be treated well, and receive many rewards, for your exploits. Why are you working as a maid instead? You even hid your true identity as well, why?”

Nainiae looked up, and shook her head and opened her mouth, “I wasn’t trying to hide it.”

“You weren’t?” Stein raised an eyebrow.

“It’s just--I forgot to tell everyone.” Nainiae spoke quietly.

“Forgot?”

“Yes.”

Well, her answer was correct. Ever since she had come to the mansion, she was extremely busy. She even had training in swordsmanship, she felt like two of her wouldn’t be enough.

She was really, really busy--yet despite that…she never complained.

Stein stared intently into Nainiae’s eye, his gaze was piercing.

“...”

However, Nainiae wasn’t a pushover--she stared back at him, standing her ground proudly.

“Alright. Fine.”

People say that some cases, an exchange of gazes is far more effective than a thousand words--well that was a saying in this world…I never understood it, but it seemed to work in this case.

Stein spoke again after the pause, “I heard that you followed Riley from Solia, is that right?”

“Yes.”

“How much did you know about Riley?”

Hmm, this was going in a strange direction.

“I’m aware that the rumours…aren’t good.” When Nainiae answered Stein, she looked at me; her eye staring into mine.

“What do you think of Riley?”

Nainiae flinched at this question, blushing, but she didn’t say anything.

“You are a maid that serves Riley, so I would like to hear your thoughts.”

Nainiae started to smile widely.

Meanwhile, Stein was looking at Nainiae’s face, and he got a glimpse of her scar through her hair. He narrowed his eyes.

Nainiae looked at Stein, “He is a good man--”

She paused and looked at me, a smile pulling at her lips, “He is very kind, a lot more than anyone think. Also…”

I raised an eyebrow at her, and she realized that I didn’t want her to say any more, so she smiled awkwardly and quickly changed her wording, “I would have no regrets if I served him until the day I die…”

She stopped, staring into my eyes--her cheek going bright pink, but her eye is deadly serious.

Stein stared at us, he could see her sincerity, the corner of his lips tilted up.

“I see. Did Ian make your life miserable?” Stein smiled widely and asked.

“Pardon?”

“That friend of mine doesn’t like Mages very much. I think that there will be many instances where he will quarrel with you. What do you think? Won’t it be an inconvenience for you?”

“N-No! Mr. Ian is looking after me in so many ways, he is helping Sera teach me.” Nainiae’s face was a little red--she realized that she had been staring into my eyes and gotten distracted.

“Is that so? Well then…” Stein looked at me, “Continue to…take good care of Riley.”

He finished the conversation and gestured that we could now leave.

“Well then, I’ll be going now.” I turned around and grabbed Nainiae’s shoulder, turning her as well, and gently pushed her out of the room in front of me.

She was blushing, and she was obviously very happy that my dad had accepted her--and embarrassed about some of the words she had let slip.

Stein was now left alone in the room, he started tapping one of his fingers on the desk, “A Sixth Circle Mage…How did my youngest son get someone with such talent--to fall so deeply in love with him.”

He began to laugh happily.

2