Chapter 3 – If You’re Looking For Work
975 3 57
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

“I’m still here.” Talia sighed, then felt a soft hopeful smile inside her mind.

“I’m not sad to be here, Talia.” She frowned. “I get confused as to who I am talking to. Since you are the original, I’ll go by my second name, Connie. Sound good for now?” She felt that smile, and heard her murmur. “I do wish I could hear your voice, Talia.”

Connie was unsure of what would occur in the future, and didn’t know if they would fully merge in the end. According to the novels she’s read, usually the old version would eventually disperse, and the new version would fully integrate into their new body when the original host’s goals had been reached. That possibility was not something Connie wanted.

Connie knew that if her life's goals were reached, she might disperse.  The problem with that is her goals should no longer be in line with the novel.  She would give her new goals, new targets, and something to strive for.  She would not let her just disperse, or die.  It was that resolve alone that kept Talia from being absorbed by Connie, or dispersed.

She wasn’t sure if this was an alternate reality, a parallel reality, or a different quantum reality. Due to her interest in science fiction, and some philosophical conjecture, she believed that the actions and decisions of one person could actually happen in a different reality.

It was, in effect, a divergent timeline where Talia made decisions other than what was dictated by the author of her destiny. She forced a new timeline to appear, and her destiny to be overwritten. That also forced other destinies to be emptied, or erased.

Mr. Randall, according to the book, went on to be a rich successful businessman, with many female conquests, and eventually, he would conquer the female lead. Talia would fall for Mr. Randall, and her jealousy would eventually place her in the position of the novel’s villain. She eventually would come to the end of her life at his hands.

The female lead would be innocent, taken advantage of, and eventually become his wife. However, if one considered Mr. Randall’s view of women, she would not have a ‘happily ever after’ kind of life. He would bully, cheat on, and eventually divorce her. He would find someone younger, and she would be left destitute.

Connie forced that future to be ‘cut out’ of the tapestry of fate, and their destinies were now different. Mr. Randall already had some major legal difficulties which cost him a large chunk of his capital. Several opportunities could not be taken advantage of, and his growth potential was already in jeopardy.

Not only had Talia successfully sued him, but his other employees were in the process of further legal actions for his failure to pay proper compensation.

Talia’s future was no longer tied to him. It was in Connie’s hands. That also disrupted the future for the female lead as he could no longer afford to have new hires, or new secretaries so he had some eye candy.  This completely wrecked the original timeline, and they had no clue of when she would meet Coral for the first time.

According to the novel, Talia wouldn’t meet Coral for at least the next five years, and it was only supposed to be at that real estate company.

Who could have foreseen that their meeting was pushed up by five whole years, and Talia was not yet in a situation to help as much as she wanted to?

 

*****

 

“So this is your favorite cafe.” Connie said softly as she sat at a table, and opened a sketch book. She sipped her tea, and felt Talia grimace. “I like tea more than coffee. I will try not to torture you too much with it, but please don’t ask me to drink a lot of coffee.”  Connie felt rather then heard a sigh within her mind. She smiled softly and picked up her pencil and ruler.

“Alright, I’ll drink a coffee when I finish this tea.” She felt a warm smile within herself as she offered to drink Talia’s favorite daytime beverage.

Connie took her sketchbook, and quickly sketched out a rough drawing of the layout of Talia’s house, the placement of windows, doors, and made a simple drawing of the roof line. She studied drafting, and some architecture back in college, so those skills were quite handy now. She wanted to plan the new design thoroughly.

“I wonder if I should attend a few open houses, and see what the trends are today. It turns to oak furniture and trim, with thick carpets in the eighties. Should be clean, and bright, but I have to remember that the seventies was when the men ruled the roost. Dark wood trim over light. We should get a credit line and do some modest renovations. Nothing over the top. Just some updates, make things nice, and get some profit into your pocket.” She felt Talia smile.

“Excuse me.” Connie lifted her eyes as she felt Talia’s attention shift like she was on rails, and jumped the track.

 

*****

 

“Can I help you?” The waitress looked at a young woman who just approached the counter.

“Do you have any work available?” The young woman spoke timidly, but she could feel the waitress’s disdain. Her clothes were old, and a bit threadbare. She was beyond skinny, and her arms looked like they were bruised.

“I’m sorry, we’re not hiring.” The waitress said with thinly pressed lips. She didn’t like the girl’s looks as she appeared far too timid to work there. She would not survive in an environment where men constantly made passes at the waitresses, or randomly grabbed at them.

Coral actually looked so young that she should be in school, not out looking for work. Coral turned away from the counter and lowered her eyes sadly.

She lifted her eyes when she heard a woman sigh softly.

“If you’re looking for work, I have some available.” Coral turned towards her. Her eyes saw the casual but good quality clothes. Her breath caught in her throat when she looked into the woman’s eyes.

‘Oh my god, her eyes are so beautiful!’ Coral was speechless. She had never met a woman who looked so powerful before, or so decisive.

Just that one simple look made Coral’s cheeks turn slightly red.

 

57