Chapter 26 – Crumbling Earth
657 10 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Instead of searching for Earth Fairies directly, I just searched for Fairy, which brought up a long list of different subraces. It also had a description of the entire species, though it was short. There wasn't much I didn't already know there. 'A race of small winged spirits which were born from and sustained themselves with a specific type of mana. Each one worked to protect their environment and offer blessings to those who helped them, or at least captured their whimsical attention.' I moved onto the Earth Fairy.

 

Earth Fairy

Sometimes called Pixies, they are Fairies born of earth, stone and metal. Despite the prominence of Earth mana in most worlds, one of the rarest types of Fairy. Miners and others who interact with the earth frequently consider Earth Fairies to be blessed protectors and guardians. Cities are often built around the inexhaustible mines and fertile fields inhabited by such Fairies. It's said that harming one will lead to the downfall of nations.

They appear as a 12 to 20 centimeter tall human with metallic insect wings. Their coloration changes based on their environment, typically taking earthen hues and textures. All glow with a faint brown-grey light. 

Like all Fairies, they asexually produce a single child if they obtain enough of their favored mana and choose to do so. Due to the dungeon's influence, they will repop after roughly two weeks.

 

| Create (20 CP) | Body | Heart | Mind | Spirit | Abilities | Back |

 

Slightly more expensive than the Contraption Fairy. The stats weren't much better though. The 'Guardian Spirit' ability must be really strong. I didn't actually have enough CP to make one at the moment. Instead I awkwardly chatted with the ever busy Geni and the silent Kindlesprite. Occasionally we would ignore a stream of Common Rockworms or the disturbing 'clay collection' of the Kindlesprite. Finally enough CP had recovered, and I tapped the confirm button.

 

The creature that appeared was very similar to Geni. However, its hair was short, and its face was decidedly more handsome looking. It had smooth grey skin and brown hair, which contrasted sharply with the rust colored crystalline wings on its back. It also swapped the dress Geni and the Kindlesprite received for dark shorts and a long grey shirt. I... was slightly unsure if it was a boy or a girl. So far I'd only gotten female creatures, but technically the Fairies didn't have genders, right? 

 

Before I could ask, it drifted through the air, searching around itself restlessly. It turned towards me and gave a crisp bow. With a voice like crumbling chalk, it tensely asked, "What do you need from me, Elder?"

 

Ah, these titles get worse and worse. Why do they all have to start out so weird? "Just call me Selene. Do you have a name yet?" I watched Geni flit up and start inspecting the newcomer, flying circles around her like an excited puppy. The Earth Fairy grinned at her but answered my question.

 

"No, Selene." It slowly moved away from Geni, keeping its attention on me while pretending to ignore the other Fairy. 

 

Right... Then I have to pick one, and I really need a hint here. "Are you... a boy or a girl?" Why was that question always so awkward? I kept my expression neutral despite my discomfort.

 

The Earth Fairy frowned a little, but simply shrugged in response without saying anything. What? What does that mean? I'd never been ignored by a creature before. I hadn't even thought it was possible. My thoughts started bubbling anxiously, but I was interrupted by a slight huff from Geni.

 

Looking at her, I saw her giving an annoyed grimace. "This sort of thing happens sometimes. Some spirits don't have a strong sense of identity, so they kinda just sit there like rocks... Pun intended." She sighed the last part under her breath. "Just call her whatever you like, she won't get offended."

 

That... isn't my experience with people. The Earth Fairy didn't seem to have any objections though. Still, better safe than sorry. Something gender neutral and earthie... Rusty, Jade, Iron, Rocky, Sandy, Grey, Quiet, ugh... This is harder than it should be. Terra? Tochi? "I'm having a little trouble. I'll think more on it later. For now, I'll use 'they/them' for you. Is that alright?"

 

The Earth Fairy nodded solemnly. A serious manner which was discredited by the continued game of tag they were pretending not to play with Geni. Cute, but sort of annoying if you're going to play games while dumping a decision like this all on me. I shook my head and asked, "What sort of things can you do? Geni said she'd like your help with her work, but I'd like to know more about you."

 

They thought about it briefly. "Normally, I could help manage the flow of Earth mana. That is already happening somehow, but I can change it to start forming new stone and ores. The land here seems really young, though... It'll be several thousand years before an Oread can manifest. My abilities will be harshly limited in the meantime."

 

An Oread? Is that what the forum mentioned the Fairies would request? I'd never heard of it, but I searched through the Creature interface. I did get a result, but it was forty-five CP to make one... A subrace of Nymph, with the same 'Guardian Spirit of the Earth' ability the Fairy had, in addition to an ability called 'Genius Loci'.

 

I looked up. "I can make Oreads, but they're very expensive. What exactly could you do if I made one?"

 

They dropped their gaze before answering. "An Oread is a Greater Spirit. Lone Fairies can use decent Earth magic and direct Minor Spirits, but it isn't all that impressive. A Greater Spirit like an Oread can literally move mountains. We Fairies gather in places of power where they can come into being, and offer our service and devotion. A Court formed around a Greater Spirit can completely change the world. But the mana here isn't rich enough to support an Oread, so it's alright if you don't create one."

 

The mana? No, I saw something about that in the description.

 

Oread

The personification of mountains and other earthen domains. Oreads are physically strong and resilient, and they love to run through their domains at high speed. Travelers moving through an Oread's domain may notice the road leads to places it shouldn't or even doubles back on itself. Those who leave the road will easily become lost due to rapidly changing landmarks. However, these little 'pranks' aren't entirely malicious, and an Oread will always guide lost travelers to safety in the end.

In their native form, they appear as a peerlessly beautiful humanoid woman with stone or metal skin and hair. The exact details are dependent on their domain, and sometimes shift to match rapid changes or as they please. 

While Spirits can form naturally in any place of power, Oreads are a Unisex race, and will require a partner of a valid race to repop. Such a pairing will always produce an Oread after between six months and two years, depending on the density of mana and power of their partner. Due to the dungeon's influence, they will repop after roughly one month.
When created by the Crystal Core, an Oread will naturally form a place of power that can sustain them. The cost will rise if the environment is unsuitable. Placing them in an already existing place of power that does not contain a Nymph or other Great Spirit will result in a discount in CP costs.

 

| Create (45 CP) | Body | Heart | Mind | Spirit | Abilities | Back |

 

Creating one would automatically create a 'place of power'. That alone may have been a benefit, depending on what it was. I decided to ask, "What is a place of power, exactly? Apparently I can make one when I create an Oread."

 

The Earth Fairy looked up hopefully. They said, "Oh! It's a place where mana naturally gathers and condenses. Spells cast inside are stronger, Spirits gain power, and mana will spontaneously change state. Without a Greater Spirit, they can be pretty chaotic places, but with care, they're really amazing."

 

I see... But it's still a lot of CP. Instead of spending a day making four or five fairies, I'd be spending a day making a single fairy and a nymph. The number of Kindlesprites I could make by the end of the month would drop sharply.

 

I also wouldn't be able to get a Nymph to retreat since they would be the place they were in. Putting them right in the Gate room, where they'd be most useful, probably wasn't wise.

 

If I could just get more CP, then I could make my Fairies and my Kindlesprites... But I guess you really can't have everythi- Wait...

 

There was a source of CP I'd completely overlooked. Mostly due to my own issues, but whatever. Excitedly, I asked, "Hey, if you had an Oread and a bunch of Oreworms and other types of Rockworms, do you think you could make metal ores in my dungeon? The description of Earth Fairies mentions 'inexhaustible mines'."

 

The change of subject or my sudden vehemence caused them to squeak in alarm, but they tried to answer my question. "Wh- a.... I could do that! No, I mean um... Yes. I can make ore. Having help would make it faster, and I could make more. A lot more. You'll definitely be impressed!" They started shouting at me, eyes screwed shut. 

 

I raised an eyebrow. The impression they'd given off before was slightly more reserved, but suddenly I felt like I was bullying a little kid. Where did I go wrong? A light tittering laugh was followed by Geni diving into the distracted Earth Fairy at high speed.

 

"Got ya!" Gushed Geni merrily. "I knew you'd be helpful. We have sooo much to do together!"
-Then she giggled creepily.

 

I felt a chill run down my spine. Confusion straight into dread. These Fairies... might be more trouble than they were worth. Either way, my idea of selling ore and metal- maybe even some 'Contraptions'- to the Market... Probably doable.

 

I sucked in a breath. "Oh, I just thought of a name for you. How does Mica sound?"

 

This is getting out of hand. Now there's two of them!
Also, I feel like I mischaracterized the Earth Fairy a little. I was trying to do too much and made them kind of weird. I heavily edited their dialogue, but it still feels off. I didn't mean for Nymphs to appear in this dungeon at all. The Fairies have really messed with my plans. Enjoy the Chaos!

31